Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process

TheBigLD
Message added by +Young+

Last know called # (322x)

The list for the next open-competitive track worker examination, Exam #8600, has been published.

Please see the Track Worker Exam #8600 topic for more information.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are Trackworkers assigned a division when hired or they can work both?

My educated guess is that they can do both, depending upon the needs of the agency.

Example: With the FASTRACK program going on, Track Workers successfully worked on the IRT Nostrand Avenue Line (aka the (2) in Brooklyn). The following week, I would not be surprised if not all, but most of those Track Workers also worked on the Broadway (N)(Q)(R) lines in Manhattan.

Looking ahead, I would not be surprised if the crew who works on the (E)(F)(M)(R) lines from March 18th to March 22nd would also be working on the IRT (4)(5) & (6) lines the following week North of 42nd Street - Grand Central Terminal.

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

Are Trackworkers assigned a division when hired or they can work both?

Trackwokers have two main choices for the most part. Maintainence and Capital. Capital is where the money's at. Maintainence, not so much. You pick lfor location. Divisions don't mean anything in our Dept. You can work anywhere at anytime especially in Capital.

Trackwokers have two main choices for the most part. Maintainence and Capital. Capital is where the money's at. Maintainence, not so much. You pick lfor location. Divisions don't mean anything in our Dept. You can work anywhere at anytime especially in Capital.

what is the difference between CAPITAL and maintenance  ?

what is the difference between CAPITAL and maintenance  ?

Capital is large scale jobs. Digouts, chip outs, panel jobs etc...mid week days off. Long hours on the weekends 16+ hour shifts. You move around a lot. One week in Queens the next in the Bronx etc...The only reason to pick Capital is to work the overtime. Lots of OT readily available and you're expected to work it. You will make six figures easy if you want it(once at top pay). Maintainence you have partial weekends off eg: Fri/Sat, Sat/Sun, Sun/Mon. The work is much smaller scale (excluding that fast track crap. Maintainence days doesn't have that). There is some OT but nothing like Capital.

Capital is large scale jobs. Digouts, chip outs, panel jobs etc...mid week days off. Long hours on the weekends 16+ hour shifts. You move around a lot. One week in Queens the next in the Bronx etc...The only reason to pick Capital is to work the overtime. Lots of OT readily available and you're expected to work it. You will make six figures easy if you want it(once at top pay). Maintainence you have partial weekends off eg: Fri/Sat, Sat/Sun, Sun/Mon. The work is much smaller scale (excluding that fast track crap. Maintainence days doesn't have that). There is some OT but nothing like Capital.

So for the FASTRACK projects, who works those? Capital? Maintenance?

Also, for the Capital, if you work 16+ hour shifts, how many days do you work? Example, a normal full-time employee (TA or not) works 8 hours per day  Monday to Friday for a total of 40 hours.

If you can elaborate more I would appreciate it a lot.

So for the FASTRACK projects, who works those? Capital? Maintenance?

Also, for the Capital, if you work 16+ hour shifts, how many days do you work? Example, a normal full-time employee (TA or not) works 8 hours per day  Monday to Friday for a total of 40 hours.

If you can elaborate more I would appreciate it a lot.

Fast Track is worked by Maintainence nights(ex: 10pm to 6am). Maintainence days(ex: 8am to 4pm) does not participate in Fast Track. All shifts in Track Dept are 8hrs a day 40hrs a week. Anything over 8 hrs a day is time and a half(OT). Capital does most of its heavier work on the weekends. They will work around the clock for 55 hours(ex: Job starts on a Friday at 11pm and ends on Monday at 4am). Capital will have different shifts all through the weekend(ex: 11pm to 3pm etc...). You are not required to work the OT. You can come in for your regular shift(8hrs)and leave. Most people work the OT(that's why they picked Capital).

can someone please tell me where I can get the study guide for the track worker exam 3600? .my usual book store closed and i'm stumped on how to study for this exam..thanks for your time

Save your money. I bought it, looked at it maybe twice, and it's been sitting in the back of my car since late Nov.

• 2 weeks later...

Kingofthe 41, If I  may please.

(1) The proper tool to use to make a 3/4 diameter hole through a wooden tie is a

a. reamer  b. round chisel  c. auger  d. countersink

(2) Pneumatic hammers are operated by

a. compressed air  b.acetylene  c. water pressure  d. oil pressure

(3)The BEST tool to use to open a wooden packing case is a

a. carpenter's chisel

b. flat wrench

c. crate opener

d.carpenter's saw

(4) The tool that MUST be sharpened on an oilstone is a

a. ripsaw

b. center punch

c. twist drill

d. carpenter's chisel

Edited by Locomotion69

did I get any right 

Sorry for the late response, you got 3 out of 4 right.

1)Spikes used to hold the running rails in place are most nearly like

a)ice picks

b)large nails

c)shelf brackets

d) C clamps

2)The color of the four lights at the rear of every train is

a)red

b)white

c)blue

d)green

3)The regular clicking sound heard as a train rolls along is due to the

a) irregularities in the train wheels

b)wheels striking the joints in the rails

c) switching on and off of the driving motors

d)rattling of the car windows

3)The number of wheels on each car of most subway trains is

a)4

b)6

c)8

d)12

4)The height of a station platform above the running rails is closest to

a) 6"

b)1"

c)4"

d) 10"

Additional track worker classes

We will be holding 2 other classes one on Sunday March 17th at 9am and another on Saturday March 23rd also at 9am Location-Classes to be held at 85-15 101 Ave Christ Lutheran Church in south Ozone Park Queens 11416
Doors open at 9am class is from 10a to 3:30p

Bring pens, pencils, notebook, and a calculator Class fee $75.00

Our students score 25% higher! And get hired sooner!

If you attended the last class on March 9th and you like to attend anyone of these classes bring your book with your receipt and $25.00 Entrance Fee‏

Is this a two day exam?

I lost my original paper and I could have sworn it said it was a two day exam on the 23rd & 24th.

New paper says just the 23rd, was the two dates o nthe first paper just a place holder?

Thanks.

Yes they were a place holder. The exam is a one-day test, not two.

Good night to all.

I have a question about trackwork or
exam 3600. I got my letter in the mail today and it says that my test is
on April 6 down in Brooklyn and the test is only an hour and a half
long does anybody else have the same thing. 

I thought the test was like, at least three hours long.

Good night to all.

I have a question about trackwork or

exam 3600. I got my letter in the mail today and it says that my test is

on April 6 down in Brooklyn and the test is only an hour and a half

long does anybody else have the same thing. 

I thought the test was like, at least three hours long.

I got the same thing too for March 23rd - an hour and a half...we'll just have to be patient to see whether they are going to ask 40 or 80 questions...