Brooklynites Moving to Manhattan in Search of Cheap Rents

MHV9218

VG8 i could never picture anywhere else in america which is the car captial of the world. Not LA, Not SF Bay area, Not Chicago, or Miami lol. Not even to visit for a few days.

Not a knock just proves how some new yorkers never leave or move because despite their many flaws the (MTA) has among the best mass transit on the planet.

Well like I said, whereever I've been I've usually just been able to walk wherever I need to go and if necessary jump on public transit. Moving to Staten Island was the first time that I didn't really have that and it was frustrating at times but I moved there sort of out of the blue if you will, so I didn't pick that set up. Anytime I've chosen where I've lived my set up has been like it is now, even if I've lived in a more "suburban" setting if you will.

They're in Chinatown too. The only thing that's Chinese about Chinatown now are the local businesses and passerbys.

Yeah well the Asian politicians that represent Chinatown are trying to retain somewhat affordable housing but that is hard to do with the rising demand down there. In a way I welcome the renovation down there because Canal Street is just grimy. I mean a new Chinatown has come about in Flushing and quite frankly it looks much better.

True, but yuppies also factor into it..... the combination of the two (indirectly) done caused rents & mortgages to go through the roof in certain parts of the borough...... More demand for these areas, the more the prices go up..... This is also done to keep much of the "riff raff" out of residing in said areas.....

Middle class white kid --> hipster --> yuppie --> Tribeca

Bro ditto for Harlem. It's not the Captial for "Black America" anymore. In sense Atlanta has become that here in 21st Century for Afro-Americans. :o

Far as I'm concerned Harlem doesn't exist until 125th any more, maybe 116th on the far East side. Never used to be like that, used to be around 110th where it became Harlem. Now 110th-116th, maybe even 120th on some streets is basically a gentrified white neighborhood, which is nice and all, but it's not Harlem until you get into the 120s and 130s and up.

They're in Chinatown too. The only thing that's Chinese about Chinatown now are the local businesses and passerbys.

Chinatown still has a very large Chinese community. You're still talking a good 70% of the population or so: http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/map (Back in 2000, they said something like 90% of the Asians there were Chinese so I assume that still holds true today).

I recently took a civil service exam for motor vehicle operator, there's no way I'd move out of this city, plus it's ridiculously boring out there with no [little] civilization

Hey if you get married and kids and see the prices for apartments/condos/homes in the outerboros you maybe rethink that statement.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey if you get married and kids and see the prices for apartments/condos/homes in the outerboros you maybe rethink that statement.

Nah, I've seen how cheap rent can be outside of NYC, I have a friend who moved to Atlanta six months ago with her mother and she's dying to come back whenever she can

Nah, I've seen how cheap rent can be outside of NYC, I have a friend who moved to Atlanta six months ago with her mother and she's dying to come back whenever she can

Hey nothing wrong buddy to admit like NYC lifers such as MHV, VG8 and yourself that you never leave NYC to live forever in the 5 boros. That cool too. Just hope you have deep pockets Spectacular though.

I'm confused.... Who's dying to come back, the friend or her mother?

Because with how you're telling this to us, it's kinda implicating that it's more expensive to live in Atlanta than NYC.....

(All I know about Atlanta [through a few online acquaintances] is that a lot of folks there are disgusted to what it has become....)

Archived