B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

Hey Young looking for that book it has been a challenge. Mainly because the public library system here in FL doesn't circulate it at all. Have you ever taken any civil service test and if so can you share if its mostly reading comprehension with some NYC driving laws and questions on City landmarks. Anything suggestions will help thanks in advance couldn't believe a book published in 97 could still be so expensive.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone have any sugestions on study matterial for civil service examination. I asked this question before and the book which was suggested "Bus Operator Exam New York City" is imposible to find here in Florida its not available for tranfer via public library system. Even looking at NYC library system its on hold so my relatives are'nt able to help me. Any person with any sugestions other than buying online for 200 bucks (lol) or anyperson that can elaborate on the content of civil service exams please help me out thanks in advance.

Amen Syrenity actually going to pay for my app right now. Hopefully we all do well and get what we all desire

If you look on Amazon they are selling it for $124.

I took the Track Worker exam back in March, that was 100% reading comprehension. Refer to http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/36428-track-worker-exam-no-3600/ for more information.

I also took the Bus Operator Exam #2613 back in January. If you go to http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34980-bus-operator-exam-2613-questions/page-8, you will see some of the questions that were on the exam. Therefore, if you are having trouble finding that particular book, try to find a similar book which has a lot of landmarks. From that exam, I also remember NYC Transit asking a question about what bridges connect Queens and The Bronx. Therefore, it would not hurt to understand the differences between the Throgs Neck Bridge, the G. Washington Bridge, etc.

As far as reading comprehension, NY State driving laws, city landmarks, etc., I would say that it was a fair mixture of all of these topics. 

Hopefully this helps.

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

Hi,

Has anyone had this problem?

I applied online for Bus Operator Exam 4600. I had my credit card ready, as instructed, before I started the application. The problem is I only have an American Express card which was not one of the accepted payment choices. I had to close out the application without paying the $61 fee. The next day I borrowed an acceptable credit card. However, when I log in to access my application my payment status is blank, but it gives me no option to pay. I also cannot reapply because the system shows there is already an application pending for my social security number. I was making phone calls for an hour yesterday until I finally reached the correct department. The woman who answered just kept saying "Don't worry, don't worry" and that I'd get a chance to pay with no mention of when or how (She was hard to understand as she spoke broken English). I am trying to give these people money and they don't seem to want it. Thanks.

Hi,

I applied online for Bus Operator Exam 4600. I had my credit card ready, as instructed, before I started the application. The problem is I only have an American Express card which was not one of the accepted payment choices. I had to close out the application without paying the $61 fee. The next day I borrowed an acceptable credit card. However, when I log in to access my application my payment status is blank, but it gives me no option to pay. I also cannot reapply because the system shows there is already an application pending for my social security number. I was making phone calls for an hour yesterday until I finally reached the correct department. The woman who answered just kept saying "Don't worry, don't worry" and that I'd get a chance to pay with no mention of when or how (She was hard to understand as she spoke broken English). I am trying to give these people money and they don't seem to want it. Thanks.

Ok. Don't take my word for it BECAUSE I think I saw it somewhere down the process of application that IF your payment with Chase failed for some reason you would need to go there and make a payment in person.

Hi,

This same problem happen to people on the other MTA exam and they did give you a chance to pay if you couldnt when you applied,if im not mistaken they posted the problem on their website. The only thing is you may have to wait until the filing period is over. You should try calling them back you will get someone you understand.

Edited by DEE77

APPLICATION  PAYMENT PROBLEMS:
We are aware of the issues that some customers experienced when paying the application fee for this exam online. An email was sent to all applicants who did not pay on March 14, 2013 instructing them how to submit payment.

If you did not pay and did not receive an email, please call (347) 643-7221

Wallflower this was the message from the other exam i was talking about maybe you should call the number listed.

APPLICATION  PAYMENT PROBLEMS:

We are aware of the issues that some customers experienced when paying the application fee for this exam online. An email was sent to all applicants who did not pay on March 14, 2013 instructing them how to submit payment.

If you did not pay and did not receive an email, please call (347) 643-7221

Wallflower this was the message from the other exam i was talking about maybe you should call the number listed.

Hi DEE77,

Same note was just posted on MTA.info for Exam 4600. Thanks again.

APPLICATION PROBLEMS:

We are aware of the issues that some customers are experiencing when applying for this exam online. If you were unable to pay the exam fee online, you will be sent an email by September 22, 2013 to the email address you provided with your profile information. At that time, you will be given instructions on how to submit payment and complete your application to participate in this exam.

I had a similar issue only difference was that when I logged into the site a second time it gave me a confirmation # but it also said thay the fee would be debited thrue payroll deduction. Only issur is that I am not an MTA employee long story short after emailing them the next day the responce was that they would get back to me by 22nd of Aug.

Trust me as bad as you want to take the test is just as bad they want your money. MTA think their slick by making the filing period for this exam Aug 7-27,the reason I say that is because all the people who took exam 2613 in jan have not recieved their scores yet we will get them in sept. So if you think you didnt do well or straight up failed or passed, the MTA want to keep people in the dark so they can apply for this test as well. I passed exam 2613 but I am still gonna apply for 4600 cause you never know.

Trust me as bad as you want to take the test is just as bad they want your money. MTA think their slick by making the filing period for this exam Aug 7-27,the reason I say that is because all the people who took exam 2613 in jan have not recieved their scores yet we will get them in sept. So if you think you didnt do well or straight up failed or passed, the MTA want to keep people in the dark so they can apply for this test as well. I passed exam 2613 but I am still gonna apply for 4600 cause you never know.

+1

How to edit post  /// > I went to 180 the counter lady said the test have been change as listed it at the flyer ,dunno 1 there will be 6 weeks class and some other things . I am not very sure may be some one or members can elaborate .

Can anyone answer this question please. What is the difference between these three tests? 

Attention MTA Bus Company Bus Operator, Exam No. 2301 Applicants (Updated as of 08/14/13)

Attention MaBSTOA Bus Operator, Exam No. 3101 Applicants (Updated as of 08/14/13)

Attention NYC Transit Bus Operator, Exam No. 4600 Applicants (Updated as of 08/14/13)

Did I apply for the 3 same tests? Need some clarity. Thanks.

I am a new poster so bear with my many basic questions.

I filed for the 4600 exam and I am also curious are the three tests (4600, 2301, 3101) the same?

If they aren't what are the differences?

Also I see a lot of insider terms used, OA, BC, MTA, TA, I know what some of them stand for but what is the difference?

For example with the difference between MTA & TA?

If I take the 4600 exam and pass it, and get a list number, is that for a particular place, boro, depot etc?

Is there a better boro, depot Operating Agency, and do I have a choice in any of this?

Finally, for the moment, what is the best exam prep book or books to get?

Can anyone answer this question please. What is the difference between these three tests? 

Attention MTA Bus Company Bus Operator, Exam No. 2301 Applicants (Updated as of 08/14/13)

Attention MaBSTOA Bus Operator, Exam No. 3101 Applicants (Updated as of 08/14/13)

Attention NYC Transit Bus Operator, Exam No. 4600 Applicants (Updated as of 08/14/13)

Did I apply for the 3 same tests? Need some clarity. Thanks.

From what I have read and understand, here is the difference:

First of all, there are three different bus companies under the MTA. MTA Bus Company was formed after taking over the private bus lines a while ago, such as Green Bus Lines, Jamaica Bus Lines, Triboro Coach, etc. MaBSTOA, in conjunction with NYC Transit, only operates in Manhattan and The Bronx. NYC Transit operates in all 5 boroughs of NYC.

The difference between the three tests is that for MaBSTOA and MTA Bus Company, you do not take a civil service exam. In lieu, when the application period is over, you will be sent a random #, in which you will take a BOSS exam. This exam will determine whether they hire you or not. In my opinion, the biggest disadvantage is both of these companies are NOT civil service.

For NYC Transit, whether it is exam 2613 or exam 4600, it is civil service. As it says in the Notice of Examination, the civil service examination will be given in December (subject to change). Even though the applicants will also have to take a BOSS examination as well, the list in which you get hired from will be based on the civil service examination. In addition, from reading other things on this site, several people who work for MTA Bus Company and possibly MaBSTOA want to switch over to NYC Transit, not only for better medical but primarily for their pension once they retire. I do not think you get a pension with MTA Bus Company once you retire.

As a newbie my posts are being approved, so there is some time lapse from when I write to when they are posted.

I also apologize for my density of questions and my ignorance, there is a lot to learn.

Thanks to Young Fan for explaining the three job postings.

However I did not see any mention of the word civil service in the posting for exam #4600.

The fact there is a exam implies Civil Service?

And you stated above that New York City transit operates only a Manhattan and the Bronx and then you say it operates in all five Boros, can you clarify that?

You also say that exam 4600 is the better of the three position overall, is that correct?

I would prefer Bronx and Manhattan, perhaps even the express buses from Yonkers if I knew all the pluses and minuses.