Train Conductor Exam

Curtispaul81

I've always wanted to be a train conductor/operator it's even in my elementary school yearbook section of what do you want to be when you grow up. I hadn't researched when i was in H.S and didn't know that all i needed was a high school diploma. Does anybody know when the next exam will be?

you need to keep an eye on dcas. take the test and they will call you depend on your score. they was hiring in 2011. so it can be 5 to 10 years from now. i was on that list but had to declined.

DCAS dont control that anymore i believe, the MTA controls that Now the testing and everything. If what i was told is correct Open Competitive T/O test aren't coming back. Got to start as a CR then take a promo test.

Look out for Metro North, SIR, or LIRR's tests as well, as they will come up occasionally.  The railroad's (except SIR) are both easier and harder to get into.  Easier because they opportunities come up more often than NYCT tests.  Harder because the process is longer and is more merit based than a test.  PATH is an option as well, you can go over and check the Port Authority website for info on that.  Please disregard this post if you really want to work in the subways of NYCT.

Be advised that for the next C/R exam, there is going to be a 2 years of professional customer service prerequisite. So if you're looking to take the next exam, be sure to find employment in the meantime that can be considered to have a customer service aspect.

Be advised that for the next C/R exam, there is going to be a 2 years of professional customer service prerequisite. So if you're looking to take the next exam, be sure to find employment in the meantime that can be considered to have a customer service aspect.

In other words, they are looking to cut down on the # of C/R's hired :D

DCAS dont control that anymore i believe, the MTA controls that Now the testing and everything. If what i was told is correct Open Competitive T/O test aren't coming back. Got to start as a CR then take a promo test.

Yeah i've been gathering information in the past few days and I've come across that same information about the OC T/O test not coming back.

I'm still trying to land my first real job haha. I've done stuff for summer youth & work study for my college. Both of them do not come close to a year. Would a job at a supermarket be a good start?

I'm still trying to land my first real job haha. I've done stuff for summer youth & work study for my college. Both of them do not come close to a year. Would a job at a supermarket be a good start?

Thats how i started in a supermarket! Yes i Listed that as well!

I tell all those people working in Target whenever i shop there in uniform and they are amazed on how i got such a position so young.  Thing is too, most of them have GED/HSD and just messed up after that... and they had no idea about civil service.

How old were you when you got it? I'm nineteen going on twenty in june. I got my HSD back in 2011 and completely forgot about wanting to work for the MTA system. Music was on mind until like three days ago. Since then I've been trying to get everything I'll need together for when I see it posted in the MTA employment page. 

How old were you when you got it? I'm nineteen going on twenty in june. I got my HSD back in 2011 and completely forgot about wanting to work for the MTA system. Music was on mind until like three days ago. Since then I've been trying to get everything I'll need together for when I see it posted in the MTA employment page. 

24.  Because of the usual ~five year gap between tests (at that time), the first time I was eligible to take it I was 21.  Some who really want to come down here luck out and a test comes out soon after graduation and they get down here at ~20.

24.  Because of the usual ~five year gap between tests (at that time), the first time I was eligible to take it I was 21.  Some who really want to come down here luck out and a test comes out soon after graduation and they get down here at ~20.

Whoa five year gap. geezz. Is the gap similar like that now? If so, do you remember when was the last C/R test?  

Good Luck TwoTimer.  I'm told that the conductor orientation was to start today with HR.  Basically just filling out forms, getting ID's, having department heads come talk to you that you'll forget their names 5 minutes later and you will never see them again anyway.

Tomorrow is when the real training starts.   You'll report to 7th floor, B Hall and get issued a whole bunch of stuff (course outline, PPE, rule book, etc).  You'll also have to sign a contract of sorts making it known that you must past the tests or risk being written up or terminated from the program.

Also, enjoy the weekend off now for the next ten months.  Once you mark up, your weekend will be days other than Sat/Sun.

You know I'm used to TW/WT, remember T/O rookie and C/R rookie for years.  I don't mind weekdays I dont have kids anyway and everything is cheaper on those days :D

I'm also going to limit posts here until probation is over next year (I keep a low profile), just like my two previous promotions.

• 11 months later...

Thats how i started in a supermarket! Yes i Listed that as well!

Dudeee! It's been awhile! (not sure if you still post on this) but I've managed to find employment!! In april i started working at mc donalds and after a six month stunt I landed a job at Walgreens! Almost going on two months. A fellow employee took the O/C test and got a call 4 years later for train operator, but anyway my question I wanted to ask is; do you know why the list will expire? if you dont know the answer to that do you know how many years a list is given before it expires?

Considering it takes 1 year just to send you the score, the 4-5 year wait period is reasonable, although towards the later end of the spectrum.

Expect 1 to 5 years to be the wait time from the test date to your start date. 1 being extremely early (the top scorers), and rare...as it requires them to certify the list almost as soon as it is established and begin hiring immediately.

After 5 years, expect them to chuck the list and start a new one.

Archived