Stranger Picks Up, Shakes Young Boy Between Subway Cars

+Young+

Cops are searching for the stranger who grabbed a boy on board a moving subway train in Manhattan, pulled him out into the area between the subway cars and shook him, threatening to throw him onto the tracks, police say. The 11-year-old boy was with friends on a southbound 4 train in midtown Manhattan last Wednesday afternoon when the man picked up the boy and pulled him in between the subway cars, police said.

Read more: Source

So many crazies on the subways, which is why I avoid it like the plague. There needs to be more of a police presence down there and more undercover cops as well.

If you stay at least semi aware during your subway ride, you really shouldn't have issues with crazies. During rush hours there are too many people on the subway for anything scary to happen. Off peak hours are more of an issue, but the chance of getting harassed is still rather slim on most lines. Yes, on certain lines running through certain neighborhoods it can happen more often, but still not often enough to be a cause for worry.

If stories like these happened three times a week or every day, there would be more of a cause for concern. But it doesn't. Be aware and don't do stupid things.

If you stay at least semi aware during your subway ride, you really shouldn't have issues with crazies. During rush hours there are too many people on the subway for anything scary to happen. Off peak hours are more of an issue, but the chance of getting harassed is still rather slim on most lines. Yes, on certain lines running through certain neighborhoods it can happen more often, but still not often enough to be a cause for worry.

If stories like these happened three times a week or every day, there would be more of a cause for concern. But it doesn't. Be aware and don't do stupid things.

Ha, please.  Being on a subway during rush hour doesn't stop the homeless people from taking over entire cars (they do because their stench simply can't be tolerated, forcing everyone to other cars) or the showtime people (they actually love performing during the rush since they have a better chance of getting money (more people to prey on)).  From my experiences, I rarely get on a subway (peak or off-peak) without either a homeless person, a showtime person or some nut job yelling about Jesus and how we're going to hell :P.  They seem to take over the (4)(5) train, and the homeless have become the norm on the (Q) trains on weekends going to Coney Island.  

Ha, please.  Being on a subway during rush hour doesn't stop the homeless people from taking over entire cars (they do because their stench simply can't be tolerated, forcing everyone to other cars) or the showtime people (they actually love performing during the rush since they have a better chance of getting money (more people to prey on)).  From my experiences, I rarely get on a subway (peak or off-peak) without either a homeless person, a showtime person or some nut job yelling about Jesus and how we're going to hell :P.  They seem to take over the (4)(5) train, and the homeless have become the norm on the (Q) trains on weekends going to Coney Island.  

If the car smells bad, whether from a homeless person or a wet dog, move into the next car. It's that simple. If you are on the (4) or (5) during rush hour then you might not be able to do that, which is true. Then again, the vast majority of subways don't have an extreme homeless infestation (or at least the lines I ride).

The train is usually too crowded for showtime during rush hour. When I used to see it more often, it happened mostly during the middays and late afternoons.

It appears you are incredibly unlucky with riding subways if you always see a homeless person or a showtime person. Maybe you attract them somehow? Then again, maybe you're overreacting, which wouldn't exactly be new. I believe you once were super upset about somebody who looked shabby getting onto your express bus.

The ones who yell about Jesus or Messiah or whatever, I think those are hilarious. They usually don't bother anyone, and pretty much everybody ignores them.

Admittedly, I don't ride the (4) and (5) on a regular basis so I don't know too much about the situation there. To be honest those lines are much too crowded to be a comfortable ride. However, I will say that I rarely see homeless people on the (Q) on the weekends in Brooklyn. In any case, it's the weekend, so it's a non-issue to move to another car if there is one.

Honestly, rowdy schoolkids are more of an issue on the Brighton Line than homeless people, women claiming they are pregnant and asking for money, or self-declared preachers. The schoolkids can be really annoying, while the rest are just minor inconveniences that are easily ignored.

It appears you are incredibly unlucky with riding subways if you always see a homeless person or a showtime person. Maybe you attract them somehow? Then again, maybe you're overreacting, which wouldn't exactly be new. I believe you once were super upset about somebody who looked shabby getting onto your express bus.

:):D:lol:

If the car smells bad, whether from a homeless person or a wet dog, move into the next car. It's that simple. If you are on the (4) or (5) during rush hour then you might not be able to do that, which is true. Then again, the vast majority of subways don't have an extreme homeless infestation (or at least the lines I ride).

The train is usually too crowded for showtime during rush hour. When I used to see it more often, it happened mostly during the middays and late afternoons.

The ones who yell about Jesus or Messiah or whatever, I think those are hilarious. They usually don't bother anyone, and pretty much everybody ignores them.

Admittedly, I don't ride the (4) and (5) on a regular basis so I don't know too much about the situation there. To be honest those lines are much too crowded to be a comfortable ride. However, I will say that I rarely see homeless people on the (Q) on the weekends in Brooklyn. In any case, it's the weekend, so it's a non-issue to move to another car if there is one.

Honestly, rowdy schoolkids are more of an issue on the Brighton Line than homeless people, women claiming they are pregnant and asking for money, or self-declared preachers. The schoolkids can be really annoying, while the rest are just minor inconveniences that are easily ignored.

The homeless problem on the (Q) seems to be a new thing.  Years ago you would never see them on the train at any time.  As for the (4)(5)(6) most of the incidents I see are on the weekends and sometimes late during rush hour at night.  Where possible I take Metro-North to avoid that or even the local bus.  The local bus can be faster depending on where you are going.

As for Showtime, they don't care about that.  They will attempt to clear a path for them in the middle of the car, and they seem to have a love affair with the (A) and (D) trains because you can't escape into another car on those trains, and they go express for long periods of time.  The (4) and (5) attracts them to a lesser extent.

The homeless problem on the (Q) seems to be a new thing.  Years ago you would never see them on the train at any time.  As for the (4)(5)(6) most of the incidents I see are on the weekends and sometimes late during rush hour at night.  Where possible I take Metro-North to avoid that or even the local bus.  The local bus can be faster depending on where you are going.

As for Showtime, they don't care about that.  They will attempt to clear a path for them in the middle of the car, and they seem to have a love affair with the (A) and (D) trains because you can't escape into another car on those trains, and they go express for long periods of time.  The (4) and (5) attracts them to a lesser extent.

That homeless problem even worst on E trains....I sometimes feel bad for some of them

I can't speak for others, but I haven't seen any of the preachers in years; they all seemed to disappear around the time the recession hit (coincidence?).  Them and the Asians who used to go car-to-car selling batteries and trinkets on the (L) back when it still ran R40s- but those folks disappeared even before the preachers (pre-2003).

Around 2013 there were a bunch of Jewish preachers on the (2) train claiming that "Messiah is coming" and that "we must all do goodness before Messiah comes." Past that, I've seen some on the (B) train, about one per year, preaching something about Christianity and Jesus.

I can't speak for others, but I haven't seen any of the preachers in years; they all seemed to disappear around the time the recession hit (coincidence?). Them and the Asians who used to go car-to-car selling batteries and trinkets on the (L) back when it still ran R40s- but those folks disappeared even before the preachers (pre-2003).

No it was because their doomsday prophecies of the world ending in 2000 were full of sound and fury signifying nothing....

Is this the subway getting more dangerous, or dangerous things on the subway getting more reporting than in the past?

Ding, ding ding!

On another note, you know what would have prevented this incident...

Open gangways!

Was the kid shaken by this? 

That was terrible.

I can't speak for others, but I haven't seen any of the preachers in years; they all seemed to disappear around the time the recession hit (coincidence?).  Them and the Asians who used to go car-to-car selling batteries and trinkets on the (L) back when it still ran R40s- but those folks disappeared even before the preachers (pre-2003).

I assume we're talking about the "praise the lord, repent as the end is nigh!" types and not the ones handing out pamphlets and the like. The last time I saw one of the former was on the (6) about a year ago. Oddly enough, it was at the height of the rush hour, so you can imagine how that was a fun morning.

Archived