Dozens Injured in LIRR Train Derailment at Atlantic Terminal

Lance

post-2642-0-14585400-1483538737_thumb.png
A LIRR train derailed in Brooklyn on Wednesday, with initial reports suggesting 20 people were being treated for injuries. All reported injuries appear to be minor and passengers are mostly being treated at the scene of the incident.

The derailment happened at Atlantic Terminal. Pictures on social media showed the derailment took place on track 6, and that the train was tipped slightly at an angle.

Read more: Source

I was listening to the news this morning and they were asking questions such as how old is the equipment? Did they upgrade the infrastructure at Atlantic Terminal, etc.

The media is ignorant when it comes to covering mass transit. Remember the Amtrak derailment in Philly? They kept calling the engineer a conductor, on one station they put up a picture of a Genesis P42DC numbered 188 and said "this is a picture of the train that derailed." They could've easily done a quick google search and got the answer. They're more focused on ratings than reporting actual facts.

Rant over.

I hope those injured in this accident will be okay. Something tells me we're looking at something similar to Hoboken here, minus the fatalities.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

The media is ignorant when it comes to covering mass transit. Remember the Amtrak derailment in Philly? They kept calling the engineer a conductor, on one station they put up a picture of a Genesis P42DC numbered 188 and said "this is a picture of the train that derailed." They could've easily done a quick google search and got the answer. They're more focused on ratings than reporting actual facts.

Rant over.

I hope those injured in this accident will be okay. Something tells me we're looking at something similar to Hoboken here, minus the fatalities.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

The one thing I will say is for what we MNRR and LIRR riders pay, these sorts of incidents are occurring all too frequently. The (MTA) either needs to look at more training or add more safety protocols.  

Damn, I take this particular train when I need to be in Brooklyn for work. Thankfully didn't need it this week. I often sit in the middle car, but they usually only open doors at the front cars at Atlantic so everyone lines up by the front cars while pulling into Atlantic. That definitely made this worse

Archived