Can someone request removal of bus stops?

Nas

Hi all,

To make a long story short I just moved in to a new home (not new new but you know what I mean)... And there's a bus stop right in front of my house... The issue is if you were standing at the bus stop and look to your left, there's another bus stop literally 50 yards away... and if you were to look to your right, you'd find a bust stop (all for the same bus) also 50 yards away.  

I have no idea who thought you should have 3 bus stops in 3 consecutive short blocks.   What really erks me about the stop is that people throw their trash on the floor despite my neighbor having a trash can nearby... the trash includes nickel bags too... and to make matters worse, people smoke cigarettes there which exposes my kids to 2nd hand smoke every time we enter or leave our home... and thinking about the noise and air pollution caused by the bus stopping and moving so frequently.

I want to request a bus stop removed (really both directions) given the reasons above and given the fact it's not an inconvenience as the other bus stops are very close as is... Heck I'm sure some riders would appreciate one less unnecessary stop.  

Any idea how I can go about making that happen?   I have already contacted my local assemblyman's office and they said they'll contact the MTA... just wondering if there's anything else I need to or should do.

Thanks in advance.

So you moved to this home knowing that it had a bus stop in front and NOW you want it removed? Really?  I mean didn't you think about that before moving there?  When I moved I wanted something close to the express bus, but certainly not something where my residence was literally in front of a bus stop.  I mean you had to know what you were getting into.  In any event, it won't be easy. I would first start by filing a complaint with the (MTA) and asking them to consider moving it or removing it entirely and cite the reasons why.  They will then forward it to the DOT for review. Your next bet would be to contact your local representatives and explain the situation and see what they say.  

This is about as dumb as that couple who moved next to the rail yard in LIC and then sued over the noise...

There are a few bus stops in front of houses, or co-ops but the buildings are further back and/or situated in a way that doesn't cause an issue.  In any event, I still don't see why anyone would move to a place and then complain about the bus stop afterwards.

Hi all,

To make a long story short I just moved in to a new home (not new new but you know what I mean)... And there's a bus stop right in front of my house... The issue is if you were standing at the bus stop and look to your left, there's another bus stop literally 50 yards away... and if you were to look to your right, you'd find a bust stop (all for the same bus) also 50 yards away.  

I have no idea who thought you should have 3 bus stops in 3 consecutive short blocks.   What really erks me about the stop is that people throw their trash on the floor despite my neighbor having a trash can nearby... the trash includes nickel bags too... and to make matters worse, people smoke cigarettes there which exposes my kids to 2nd hand smoke every time we enter or leave our home... and thinking about the noise and air pollution caused by the bus stopping and moving so frequently.

I want to request a bus stop removed (really both directions) given the reasons above and given the fact it's not an inconvenience as the other bus stops are very close as is... Heck I'm sure some riders would appreciate one less unnecessary stop.  

Any idea how I can go about making that happen?   I have already contacted my local assemblyman's office and they said they'll contact the MTA... just wondering if there's anything else I need to or should do.

Thanks in advance.

Many times bus stops are located too close together by accident, not because someone thought it was a good idea. It sounds like that is what might have happened in your case since there are two other stops nearby. If no one says anything it will stay there forever.

An excuse example of how something like this could have happened is that routes were changed but bus stops were not altered.

That's what I noticed about two bus stops near where I live. I knew the bus route history and that because of a route extension twelve years before why both stops existed and that no one would miss one of them while residents would greatly appreciate four additional parking spaces. Since I was head of Bus Planning at the time, it was very easy to get it removed. I requested DOT remove it in my official capacity and five days later it was gone.

So my advice to you is to write to DOT, not the MTA. DOT will ask the MTA if they have a problem, and since they love to eliminate bus stops, most likely they will give DOT the green light and it will be gone. I also wouldn't mention that you are the homeowner. I am only telling you this because I am taking you at your word that the other two stops are indeed that close and it is the same bus route that stops at all three stops and there is nothing near your house that merits a bus stop there like a school, hospital, or entrance to a park or beach. If that were the case, more nvestigation would get needed.

There are a few bus stops in front of houses, or co-ops but the buildings are further back and/or situated in a way that doesn't cause an issue. In any event, I still don't see why anyone would move to a place and then complain about the bus stop afterwards.

It's like people in Sacramento who bought houses in a new subdivision in the Sacramento River floodplain and under the airport departure flight path using over noise.

Every lawsuit dismissed because just like you said earlier - they moved there with prior knowledge of quality of life issues.

To OP: make the request to (MTA), then start sending bills for cigarette butt and trash removal (and get your neighbors to do the same) and it'll likely be moved quicker - years instead of decades.

The guy's location says Bronx.

Anyway, turning down a home just because of a bus stop being located in front is just stupid. It's different from a rail yard which requires a great expense for the agency to shut the yard and relocate the trains and facilities. Arguably if the other stops are that close, it should be removed anyway to speed up the bus trips.

The guy's location says Bronx.

Anyway, turning down a home just because of a bus stop being located in front is just stupid. It's different from a rail yard which requires a great expense for the agency to shut the yard and relocate the trains and facilities. Arguably if the other stops are that close, it should be removed anyway to speed up the bus trips.

Another good argument too add it having too many stops so close to each other slows down the line. It may add to the list of other reasons as to why it should be removed. 

Another good argument too add it having too many stops so close to each other slows down the line. It may add to the list of other reasons as to why it should be removed. 

What we don't know is where in the Bronx this is, but a good portion of the Bronx is pretty hilly, so while the bus stops may seem close together, the hills may play a role in that.  You have a lot of people that will take the bus for that reason. You have to be strategic in some areas.  For example, when I'm in the South Bronx, I may take the BxM4 and Metro-North out to avoid walking up hill where possible or the BxM4 further north and walk down a hill heading south.

How about its in RIVERDALE!

lol... The only issue with that is there aren't any bus stops that I can think of that are directly in front a house. The neighborhood was laid out differently from the Bronx (there is no street grid here) and the houses that are even near a bus stop are away from it (sit back much further from the street). For those reasons I'd be shocked if it was. There are rowdy school kids here from down the hill and a few wannabe kids from Riverdale, but even then they don't congregate by bus stops like that. If anything they would hang out along Broadway (not in Riverdale) or along 235th street, and there really isn't any place to hang out like that (done on purpose). It's dead here by 20:30-21:00 because everything closes here EARLY, thus no ghetto behavior and when we do have people come up here from down the hill the best they can do is blast their music from their car while driving through. There is no place to congregate like that here and there won't be any time soon. We like it quiet here... The quieter it is the better. Any sort of behavior like that and the police would called. Just ask the Manhattan College students. lol Riverdale is a boring quiet neighborhood, so as I said, it's likely the South Bronx or some other ghetto area.

But I agree with the others, you knew the bus stop was there before moving in, it didnt magically appear overnight. Should have done your homework

I guess by that logic, nothing should ever change. If a neighborhood wants new service, oh well, those people should've known that there was no service before they moved there.

What if DOT decides to make change the traffic patterns and make certain streets one-way or two-way. Somebody might buy a house on a street, and all of a sudden, there's a bus stop in front of it where there wasn't one before. Does that mean we can't reroute buses anymore?

How about the flip side: Ridership on a route is declining, so there needs to be some sort of change (restructuring it with other nearby routes, eliminating it, moving it to a more suitable street, etc). Does that mean we're not allowed to change it because of the few people who moved to the neighborhood 50 years ago and expected the bus to always stop in front of their house?

Do I necessarily agree in this particular case that the stop should be removed? Well, I don't know the exact situation, so I can't comment, but I will say that the OP is making reasonable arguments and at the very least, it should be looked into, and change should be implemented if it is warranted.

I guess by that logic, nothing should ever change. If a neighborhood wants new service, oh well, those people should've known that there was no service before they moved there.

What if DOT decides to make change the traffic patterns and make certain streets one-way or two-way. Somebody might buy a house on a street, and all of a sudden, there's a bus stop in front of it where there wasn't one before. Does that mean we can't reroute buses anymore?

How about the flip side: Ridership on a route is declining, so there needs to be some sort of change (restructuring it with other nearby routes, eliminating it, moving it to a more suitable street, etc). Does that mean we're not allowed to change it because of the few people who moved to the neighborhood 50 years ago and expected the bus to always stop in front of their house?

Do I necessarily agree in this particular case that the stop should be removed? Well, I don't know the exact situation, so I can't comment, but I will say that the OP is making reasonable arguments and at the very least, it should be looked into, and change should be implemented if it is warranted.

One person yelling about moving a bus stop that knew the stop existed is much different than a community calling for something. As a neighborhood develops and changes, yes of course changes are needed. This situation is different. If it was that much if a deal breaker, why move there in the first place?

This thread hasn't been locked yet... Who's to say this troll even comes back here.....

If I'm to take this for any face value, the fact of the matter is that there is no defending the indefensible.... If you're actually that stupid enough to purchase a house, full knowing there's an existing bus stop where litter (that consists of nickel bags, wink wink) is present, then quite frankly you should get whatever the hell's coming to you - From any backlash on an internet forum, to garbage being intentionally dumped onto your property, if it was such a f***** issue for you..... Regardless of any garbage cans on your neighbor's property...

By the way.... Nas Lost.

Archived