MTA clerk refuses to help cops, gets arrested

alberchico

But they couldn't hop the turnstile?

John McClain would've either hopped it or drove the Crown Vic onto the tracks to catch dude.

You know cops aren't going to do that. They expected the clerk to buzz them in and he deliberately disrespected them. If someone was kicking his @ss though, he would be looking to those cops for help.

So you risk a few (other) people going through the open gate... Considering what's at stake, was that really that serious (if that was his mindset)? Or maybe dude thought they were fake cops? I can't think of a reason off-top as to why the clerk wouldn't comply? Maybe he was in on the heist!

In all seriousness, open the damn gate, let the cops try to get their hands on & arrest that thief & go on about your day....

Why couldn't the cops jump the turnstile?

Why couldn't the clerk open the gate?

So you risk a few (other) people going through the open gate... Considering what's at stake, was that really that serious (if that was his mindset)? Or maybe dude thought they were fake cops? I can't think of a reason off-top as to why the clerk wouldn't comply? Maybe he was in on the heist!

In all seriousness, open the damn gate, let the cops try to get their hands on & arrest that thief & go on about your day....

Why couldn't the clerk open the gate?

My personal take is he didn't want to be bothered at all and either thought those guys were fake, doesn't like cops from personal experiences, or was trying to go strictly by the book, but given his reaction, I'd say he purposely called himself being difficult because he didn't care for them. If it was a question of going by the book, then he wouldn't have tried to leave the booth.

I did security for a bit while in college and I had a few cops that would lookout for me. You learn quickly how to go about things, so given how long he's been around, I find it hard to believe that he didn't know the deal.

John McClain would've either hopped it or drove the Crown Vic onto the tracks to catch dude.

Its very hard to jump the turnstyle if you're not in shape, its easier to just go though the gate. When I was cash strapped I done it before, You also risk tripping on the turnstyle if you don't get your feet high enough, and losing your gripe if your hands are wet or sweaty.

If the cop had the attention on the clerk and the clerk did not unlock the gate, the clerk is wrong. The cop is chasing the guy down, trying to keep track of where he's going. He has no time to fiddle in his wallet for his MetroCard. Time is of the essence. Expecting him to jump the turnstile? Seriously? He has stuff hanging off his belt that could get caught up in the wheel: keys, gun, baton. As for the clerk, getting in the cops face is a no no too. Since the clerk is 54 y/o, if he has his 25 years in, and is in TierIV, they'll force him to retire. If not, a big suspension is probable. Now don't forget, let's hear the clerks' story because there are 2 sides. If there is video evidence, that should be checked too.

So not only he refused to help, when the police ask for his badge number he had the audacity to give an attitude? This guy need to be fired. But of course, he would just be "re trained" No customer compliant for 20 years? Maybe he didn't show his badge to customer, or maybe customer just expect every MTA station agent to be rude and unhelpful.

They could also have swiped in with their NYPD-issued cards.

Not every cop has a Metrocard on them.

Sounds like the clerk went by the book down to the letter (the clerk can't open the gate and everybody needs to swipe- no exceptions) and then had a brain fart when the cops confronted him.

He got what he deserved. No one should EVER defy a police officers orders nor act like they're above the law.

So an enraged cop grabbed the clerk id and the clerk grabbed it back and in doing so injuring the cop pinky finger. Now they have 3 charges against him. Sorry but I don't believe nothing of this and hopefully the truth will come out.

I blame the cops. Something doesn't add up.

Maybe he was specifically told do not open the gate under any circumstances, even for cops and that if ONE unauthorized person went through he'd face a long suspension.

The truth will come out one way or the other. 

Not every cop has a Metrocard on them.

Sounds like the clerk went by the book down to the letter (the clerk can't open the gate and everybody needs to swipe- no exceptions) and then had a brain fart when the cops confronted him.

He got what he deserved. No one should EVER defy a police officers orders nor act like they're above the law.

No one should ever defy police he says...

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

I have known this clerk for many many years, he is a wonderful person, cool, calm & professional. He does his job, he's great with customers, his coworkers and anyone else (including police, homeless) he encounters during the course of his day. If the police (who are from the street, not Transit Bureau SUBWAY police) asked for the gate to be opened I'm sure he opened it and then continued on serving the customers at this very busy station. (Only NYPD Transit Bureau police have employee passes to swipe at turnstiles, some (not all) also have a key to open service gates. (Street NYPD cops always show their actual badge to station agent to go into system usually when they are off duty). Those cops who claim the agent did not open gate for them could have (if a passenger was nearby) also asked someone near the gate to push it open for them or like many others have said if physically able, jump over the turnstile to pursue the shoplifter. Why would police waste time walking back to the booth unless they were not really interested in pursuing the shoplifter to begin with. This station which is actually called 59th St Columbus Circle and where this actual booth is physically located (there are 3 booths in total for that station) there are no MTA installed cameras, video surveillance in that particular area and so the claims from the police can not really be verified. I would not just go by anything this police lieutenant or his officers said about what happened. It's possible there could be a bit of racism involved here. The station agent should not have been arrested or suspended from his job. I hope he is able to return to work as soon as possible. *And for the poster that  mentioned that the agent left the booth, that is his job to leave the booth, he is a lunch relief which requires him to travel to different stations to man booths while station agents go on their lunch break.

I have known this clerk for many many years, he is a wonderful person, cool, calm & professional. He does his job, he's great with customers, his coworkers and anyone else (including police, homeless) he encounters during the course of his day. If the police (who are from the street, not Transit Bureau SUBWAY police) asked for the gate to be opened I'm sure he opened it and then continued on serving the customers at this very busy station. (Only NYPD Transit Bureau police have employee passes to swipe at turnstiles, some (not all) also have a key to open service gates. (Street NYPD cops always show their actual badge to station agent to go into system usually when they are off duty). Those cops who claim the agent did not open gate for them could have (if a passenger was nearby) also asked someone near the gate to push it open for them or like many others have said if physically able, jump over the turnstile to pursue the shoplifter. Why would police waste time walking back to the booth unless they were not really interested in pursuing the shoplifter to begin with. This station which is actually called 59th St Columbus Circle and where this actual booth is physically located (there are 3 booths in total for that station) there are no MTA installed cameras, video surveillance in that particular area and so the claims from the police can not really be verified. I would not just go by anything this police lieutenant or his officers said about what happened. It's possible there could be a bit of racism involved here. The station agent should not have been arrested or suspended from his job. I hope he is able to return to work as soon as possible. *And for the poster that mentioned that the agent left the booth, that is his job to leave the booth, he is a lunch relief which requires him to travel to different stations to man booths while station agents go on their lunch break.

Well I have some questions for you because none of this adds up. Are you saying that when he was leaving the booth at that moment that he was doing his job? I don't know if I buy that. So it's a coincidence that when the cops came that was just around the time that he was supposed to be elsewhere. Interesting...

My other question is why was he suspended without pay and why was he so confrontational with the police? What's his side of the story? I'm just having a hard time believing that this guy who you say is so professional would suddenly be harassed by cops who are chasing a suspect. So they would stop pursuing that guy to harass an (MTA) employee? That doesn't make sense either.

Well I have some questions for you because none of this adds up. Are you saying that when he was leaving the booth at that moment that he was doing his job? I don't know if I buy that. So it's a coincidence that when the cops came that was just around the time that he was supposed to be elsewhere. Interesting...

My other question is why was he suspended without pay and why was he so confrontational with the police? What's his side of the story? I'm just having a hard time believing that this guy who you say is so professional would suddenly be harassed by cops who are chasing a suspect. So they would stop pursuing that guy to harass an (MTA) employee? That doesn't make sense either.

You sound like you're trying to be confrontational with me for some reason, we don't even know each other. If you carefully read what I previously posted you would understand. Yes, he was doing his job,the agent was leaving the booth to get on a train to his next location, not to run away from the police. I wish he would have called the control center and spoke to his supervisor, alert him to what happened and then wait for supervisor to arrive at station but instead he was going to follow his schedule & continue working at the next station. The agent was arrested by police and because of that MTA NYC Transit must suspend employee (whether they were arrested on or off the job) with no pay until the outcome of the police/court case is resolved /determined. Members of management physically take employee pass & badge. I would not believe what police claim, probably not the truth.  There was no reason for them not to chase shoplifter, probably just lazy. They didn't need the clerk to open the gate for them, they were in uniform, they would get in real fast.They are probably trying to cover their butts for not pursuing the shoplifter. They will take down anyone they want if they have to, especially who they might think is just a lowly, middle-age male black "token" clerk. Passengers are not the only ones who harass MTA employees, police do it too. Mr. Goodwin said he opened gate the first time and did not hurt the NYPD Lieutenant's finger.

You sound like you're trying to be confrontational with me for some reason, we don't even know each other. If you carefully read what I previously posted you would understand. Yes, he was doing his job,the agent was leaving the booth to get on a train to his next location, not to run away from the police. I wish he would have called the control center and spoke to his supervisor, alert him to what happened and then wait for supervisor to arrive at station but instead he was going to follow his schedule & continue working at the next station. The agent was arrested by police and because of that MTA NYC Transit must suspend employee (whether they were arrested on or off the job) with no pay until the outcome of the police/court case is resolved /determined. Members of management physically take employee pass & badge. I would not believe what police claim, probably not the truth.  There was no reason for them not to chase shoplifter, probably just lazy. They didn't need the clerk to open the gate for them, they were in uniform, they would get in real fast.They are probably trying to cover their butts for not pursuing the shoplifter. They will take down anyone they want if they have to, especially who they might think is just a lowly, middle-age male black "token" clerk. Passengers are not the only ones who harass MTA employees, police do it too. Mr. Goodwin said he opened gate the first time and did not hurt the NYPD Lieutenant's finger.

I'm not being confrontational at all. Just asking for clarification given the circumstances. I think this entire story is odd on both ends (I call BS on both sides) and will wait to see how this plays out.

Archived