SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going home yesterday I made an nice find :P

I was on the (2), riding R142 6956. It's a set from the (5) line. One of the two strip maps in the car had an old strip map... from 2000!

Yes, this strip maps looks to have never been updated!

Just for the record, the other strip map was up to date.

Any way, if you ever's on set 6956 - 6960, go to 6956!

Anyway, the strip map had the diamond (Mx)and (Z) and the (Q6Av) and everything! And no (Q) or (W) in sight!

Wish I could've snapped a pic...

Going home yesterday I made an nice find :P

I was on the (2), riding R142 6956. It's a set from the (5) line. One of the two strip maps in the car had an old strip map... from 2000!

Anyway, the strip map had the diamond (Mx)and (Z) and the (Q6Av) and everything! And no (Q) or (W) in sight!

Since the other one was updated, could also be vandalism.

It is a shame the IRT tunnels couldn't be widened...

(7) would be better off if it ran B-division cars. Main issue is the stienway tubes.

Agree with you about those Steinway Tubes, especially after that recent flood that knocked out (7) service. A more permanent solution is needed. New, wider tunnels would be great. Not cheap, but it's better than having to shut the current tunnels down to waterproof them again and again. And they could run B-Division cars on the Flushing Line. That would eliminate the roundabout yard moves that currently have to be done to transfer A-Division cars to and from Corona.

Widening tubes and retrofitting stations (which means just trim the plats bout 6 inches while extending them about 50 feet each) might be cheaper in the long run as proven CBTC-ready 600 foot 160 equipment is just a switch away at QBP. It's not like there's 50 stations each way to do like some other unmentioned lines in the system lol.

Wirelessly posted via (BlackBerry8520/5.0.0.900 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

They changed the programming on the (M) train. It doesn't say JAMAICA LCL anymore but it now says MYRTLE AV LCL

This is due to the renaming of the Court Square-23 St Station.

I caught 8432 still w/ "JAMAICA LCL" on it, and it still says 23 St-Ely Avenue.

Random thought:

when the (Q) gets extended to 96 St,

(6) at 59 St:

"This is, 59th Street. Transfer is available to the (4),(5),(N),(R), and (W) trains. A free transfer is also available to the (F) and (Q) trains by walking to the Lexington Avenue - 63rd Street station and using your MetroCard."

(Q) at 63/Lex:

"This is, Lexington Avenue - 63 Street. Transfer is available to the (F) train. A free transfer is also available to the (4),(5),(6),(N),(Q), and (W) trains by walking to the Lexington Avenue - 59th Street station and using your MetroCard."

Sounds like an interesting announcement to hear.

*mentioned (W) b/c of popular thought that (W) will be revived when (Q) goes via 2nd Av

It will actually be this is 59th St Transfer is available to the 4,5,N,and R Trains

A Free Transfer is also available to the F and Q Train by walking to the Lexington avenue-63rd St Station and using your metrocard.

Going home yesterday I made an nice find :)

Yea I've riden that car.

Thats just where the previous company put their stations. It's not that its far, its just part of it is going thru/over the yard. You think there should be a station in between? The longer distance is actually from Pelham Pkwy to Gun Hill. That's the only place in the system I would add a station (at Allerton Avenue)

Here's a list of my favorite subway cars today:

1.) R142A- Nice propulsion, ride, and speed

2/3.) R68/R68A- Comfortable Ride, but a little bit shaky

4.) R46- Smooth Brakes and comfortable ride

5.) R143- Nice propulsion, and design

6.) R160A- Nice propulsion, design, and I like the whirring sound of the doors while opening

7/8/9/10.) R32/R62/R62A/R160B- They run in good speed, but designs are okay

11.) R42- I don't know why these cars get dirty already.

Edited by Coneyislandav7
Listing is wrong

Here's a list of my favorite subway cars today:

1.) R142A- Nice propulsion, ride, and speed

2/3.) R68/R68A- Comfortable Ride, but a little bit shaky

4.) R46- Smooth Brakes and comfortable ride

5.) R143- Nice propulsion, and design

6.) R160A- Nice propulsion, design, and I like the whirring sound of the doors while opening

7/8/9.) R32/R62/R62A/R160B- They run in good speed, but designs are okay

10.) R42- I don't know why these cars get dirty already.

R142A-Most strip maps are covered in chalk-like substance

R68/A-Lots of scratchitti

R46-The ones on the (R) are dominated by unusual odors.

R143-Bad Interior Lighting

R160A- If the (A)(C)(D) run this, people go nuts.

R32-Horribly defaced on the inside

R62/A- I feel cramped in this fleet, not sure why

R160B- Most sets on the (Q) smell horrible.

R42- Good Ol' Rustbucket

;)

I didn't know that the slightest grade would get a train moving. A m/m operating an R68 on the (;) released the brakes as he heared the door chime at Beverley Rd s/b, the train moved a few inches before he gave power to the train.

Also, gotta love rushing into Sheepshead Bay n/b. Those tracks got an R160 rocking back and forth like an R32.