Tutorial: Downloading and setting up BVE 2/4 and openBVE for playing

The tutorial for the openBVE set up is located at the end of this post.

Downloading BVE 2 or 4. Process for both is the same, I will be using BVE 2 as an example.

1. Go to http://mackoy.cool.ne.jp/ and choose the version you want to download (either 2 or 4).

bve2_1.jpg

2. On the left side of the page you will see "DOWNLOAD". Click on that!

bve2_2.jpg

3. Choose the English version of the game and click "DOWNLOAD"

bve2_3.jpg

4. A screen should pop up displaying the .zip file to be downloaded. Save it on your computer desktop for now. (You can erase it later when you're done)

bve2_4.jpg

5. Open the zip file. It should contain your respective BVE installation file and the readme file. (Note: to open the .zip file you will need a program like WinZip or a program that opens zip files and extracts them)

bve2_5.jpg

6. Now open the BVE installation file. Note:

* The Windows Installer is necessary to install this program.

* This program needs the VB6 runtime.

The installer will open, now you will install BVE onto your computer, preferably under your Program Files folder on the hard disk. Follow the instructions until the installation reports to be finished!

bve2_6.jpg

Setting up the route, object, and train files for BVE 2 and 4.

1. If you want to download NYCT routes and trains for the game, visit http://www.bvestation.com/downloads

I will be using the non-fictional (A) line from bvestation.com as an example. I recommend you do the same for now until you get the idea of how things work! :)

2. Now let's take a look at your BVE folder. All the files that are in there should be kept there. Notice there are folders named "RAILWAY" and "TRAIN". These are where your route, sound, and train files should always be.

bve2-1.jpg

3. Let's get back to the (A) line route. You should have downloaded the A line package and the R44 train from bvestation.com. We will now extract the train files into the right folders for the game. As you open the self-extracting file of the R44, it will ask you where to extract the train files to. Select the "TRAIN" folder, and click install. The folder named R44 should now appear in the "TRAIN" folder. (It's not too confusing if you think about it)

bve2-2.jpg

4. The zip file "NYCT-A" you downloaded from bvestation.com should contain a folder called "NYCT-A". Extract it to your desktop. Once that's been done, inside the folder you will find some more self-extracting files and the sound folder that belong in the "RAILWAY" folder.

bve2-3.jpg

5. Inside the "RAILWAY" folder, you should have "OBJECT", "ROUTE" and "SOUND" folders. If you don't, create them, they are necessary. We will now extract the (A) line's object, route and sound files into their appropriate folders. These files should be extracted as follows:

- 8thAve file into "OBJECT" folder

- A2 file into "SOUND" folder

- LefShut file into "OBJECT" folder

- NYCT-A file into "ROUTE" folder

In the "SOUND" folder of your A line package there is a file called LefShut, extract it to your "SOUND" folder in the game folder.(BVE--> RAILWAY--> SOUND)

bve2-4.jpg

6. Now open the BVE application and select NYCT-A as your route, YOU CAN NOW PLAY IT. See if there are missing files, if yes, go back to the instructions and check your steps. Most likely you misplaced a self-extracting file.

Downloading and setting up openBVE

Refer to pictures above.

1. To download openBVE for any operating system, click here. Once that's done click here for additional dependencies for Windows, OR click here for dependencies for all other operating systems.

2. Once you have downloaded the openbve_stable.zip package, open it (to open the .zip file you will need a program like WinZip or a program that opens zip files and extracts them).

3. Create a folder anywhere in your computer called openBVE. Now place all of the extracted files in the newly created folder. Inside this folder you will create two more folders called "TRAIN" and "RAILWAY". In your "RAILWAY" folder you will create three folders called "SOUND", "OBJECT" and "ROUTE".

4. If you want to download NYCT routes and trains for the game, visit http://www.bvestation.com/downloads

I will be using the non-fictional (A) line from bvestation.com as an example. I recommend you do the same for now until you get the idea of how things work! :)

5. You should have downloaded the A line package and the R44 train from bvestation.com. We will now extract the train files into the right folders for the game. As you open the self-extracting file of the R44, it will ask you where to extract the train files to. Select the "TRAIN" folder, and click install. The folder named R44 should now appear in the "TRAIN" folder. (It's not too confusing if you think about it)

6. Inside the "RAILWAY" folder, you should have "OBJECT", "ROUTE" and "SOUND" folders which we created earlier. We will now extract the (A) line's object, route and sound files into their appropriate folders. These files should be extracted as follows:

- 8thAve file into "OBJECT" folder

- A2 file into "SOUND" folder

- LefShut file into "OBJECT" folder

- NYCT-A file into "ROUTE" folder

In the "SOUND" folder of your A line package there is a file called LefShut, extract it to your "SOUND" folder in the game folder.(BVE--> RAILWAY--> SOUND)

7. Now open the openBVE application and select NYCT-A as your route, YOU CAN NOW PLAY IT. See if there are missing files, if yes, go back to the instructions and check your steps. Most likely you misplaced a self-extracting file.

Thanks for using this tutorial. Leave your questions and comments in this thread.

Edited by Paul P

I'll add to this tutorial:

How to Install and Run BVE/BVE4 on Vista

1. Install the desired version of BVE by following steps 1-6 above. Ensure that the installer is given administrator permission.

2. Go to these webpages and download the DLL's.

http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files_new.php/dllfiles/D/dx7vb.dll/5.03.2600.2180/download.html

http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files_new.php/dllfiles/D/dx8vb.dll/5.03.2600.2180/download.html

http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files_new.php/dllfiles/D/d3drm.dll/5.1.2600.0/download.html

If you have a 32-bit system: Copy these 3 files to C:\Windows\System32

If you have a 64-bit system: Copy these 3 files to C:\Windows\SysWow64

3. Go to Start>All Programs>Accessories.

4. Right-click on Command Prompt, select Run As Administrator. Give consent/password.

5. Enter the following lines. Press Enter after each line and click OK in all dialog boxes.

For 32-bit:

cd C:\Windows\System32

regsvr32 dx7vb.dll

regsvr32 dx8vb.dll

exit

For 64-bit:

cd C:\Windows\SysWow64

regsvr32 dx7vb.dll

regsvr32 dx8vb.dll

exit

6. BVE should now work.

Credit goes to BVEStation for the method.

How to Get BVE 2 to Run At a Higher Resolution

1. Download Reschanger from here:

http://www.konkyu.net/product/misc/resch2ver1001.zip

2. Extract the file ResChangerBve2.exe into C:\Program Files\BVE

3. Open the file as administrator.

4. On the first page, select Window or Fullscreen operation and a resolution. I recommend using your monitor's current resolution, 32 bit color, and your highest refresh rate. If you don't know your refresh rate, leave it at 60 Hz.

5. On the Layout tab, select the layout. I suggest that you select each layout and look at the preview image. Pick the one that suits you best.

6. Click Patch and Run to open BVE with the new settings.

WARNING: If using this method, do not adjust any settings for fullscreen/windowed in BVE itself.

BVE 2 and 4 has been proven to have no Vista compatibilities whatsoever, with a few exceptions.

_______

If BVE 2 or 4 runs buggy or has a black screen, the first thing people should do is make sure they have the latest version of the .NET framework. If that doesn't work, then update your graphics card.

• 4 months later...

I tell ya ,I just don't get it I have 420(G)(:P AMD turion x(2) with the ATI radeon card and god damn it I can't get it to friggin work jesus christ ,I got A great laptop and I can't get it to work OPENbve:mad:

I just don't get it ,I know I'm not the only one with this dilemma:confused:

(T)his program should be easy like (B)(V)(E)2/4 Dammnnnnn it:mad:

I tell ya ,I just don't get it I have 420(G)(:P AMD turion x(2) with the ATI radeon card and god damn it I can't get it to friggin work jesus christ ,I got A great laptop and I can't get it to work OPENbve:mad:

I just don't get it ,I know I'm not the only one with this dilemma:confused:

(T)his program should be easy like (B)(V)(E)2/4 Dammnnnnn it:mad:

Vista?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...