Second Avenue Subway setback: 2017

Harry

Straphangers seeking relief from the overcrowded Lexington Ave. line may have to wait until 2017 for the arrival of the MTA's cure - the Second Ave subway, sources told the Daily News Tuesday.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority has finished an in-depth analysis of the work schedule, budget and potential hurdles for the long-awaited addition to the system, sources told the News.

The conclusion: the official completion date for phase one of the project should be pushed from June 2015 to December 2016, with possible future delays placing the opening in the summer of 2017, the sources said.

And, the Long Island Rail Road's extension to Grand Central Terminal - most recently set to be finished in February 2015 - is now expected to be ready for use in September 2016, according to sources familiar with the analysis.

Full story: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/07/21/2009-07-21_new_setback_may_push_second_avenue_subway.html#ixzz0LxD0ijRS

SAS should have been planned to be finished (or at least to GCT area) before ESA!

Plus service won't reach Grand Central on SAS until...Phase III!

Oh boy. Just hope they get Phase I done...that will help quite a bit...

second ave. subway we all know is going to be delayed, delayed, delayed.

but the LIRR's east side access I thought was coming ahead almost above it's schedule, last time I checked. I'm stoked on being able to eventually ride the LIRR into my favorite terminal, as opposed to the confusing, un-enchanting Penn station. (the orig. looked beautiful, though.)

i know this isn't really on topic, but I wonder if plans to transform the Farley building into the "newer-new" Penn station will ever take ground. I know it's not the most essential use of funding, but Penn station's existing layout does become mad clogged during any peak hours, it's also such an uninviting entrance into the city. I know there was some dealings with Amtrak leasing out part of the building, but I forget specifics... other than the fact that they have backed down from whatever deal came close to surfacing.

Rail ridership through both terminals is only going to rise, rise and rise... so I think it would be wise of Amtrak and those in charge of MSG to get ready for NYP to expand.

SAS should have been planned to be finished (or at least to GCT area) before ESA!

Plus service won't reach Grand Central on SAS until...Phase III!

Oh boy. Just hope they get Phase I done...that will help quite a bit...

You're absolutely right. I mean, we know that WAS the plan, but we're going to be having a huge influx of riders on the already terrible Lex. ave trains. It's going to get real bad there before it gets better. I get lost in how exciting I'm gonna be to ride into GCT, forgetting about what a nightmare it might be to transfer to the (4)(5)(6)(7)(S).

Oh boy this is gonna be bad and worst. Soon the (MTA) will chang there minds and ether push to 3048 (lol) or cancel it for good.

I hope the +SBS on the M15 will come out, although i'm worried that the M15 +SBS will do so good that the (MTA) would cancel the SAS instead..

I can see the headlines now. 12/25/2025 Merry Christmas !!!! The (MTA), in conjunction with the Port Authority, announce the completion of Phase one SAS, ESA at GCT, and the Freedom Tower. Yeah, right. Is there anyone , other than a first class foamer, who believes a word these agencies say ?

I just keep the hope alive in my heart that they will be finished ahead of schedule, or i might get too upset to ride (MTA). :P:confused::cry: ..... :mad:

- A

Not going to happen. The SAS was behind schedule before they made a press release about it. My uncle works for the engineering company in charge of the SAS project and he told me they were late months ago.

I smell this coming like Pig Pen from the Peanuts. The ESA and SAS are basically being built just at the same point so there really no point in pushing one back and leave the other be. The SAS is a subway way before it's time. Even still in this age. I bet you any amount of money it will get pushed back again. By the time the full SAS will be complete, I will have grand children. I will bet my unborn kids on that.

It took 4 years to build the original stations from City Hall to 145 St. (via 42 St.) back in the early 1900s......and now it takes almost a decade just to build and open 3 stations on a partial stubway. :mad:

I could be wrong but I don't believe the City of New York was as populous as it was today in regards to people per square feet. I believe it was also done with open cut and cover, compared to using a tunnel boring machine since they can't use the older construction techniques.

I could be wrong but I don't believe the City of New York was as populous as it was today in regards to people per square feet. I believe it was also done with open cut and cover, compared to using a tunnel boring machine since they can't use the older construction techniques.

Also:

1-Less NIMBY's

2-People dealt with it and allowed the line to be built, they did not demand continuous utilities or prevent street closings as they do today

3-OSHA and other safety regulations did not exist

4-There was less analysis going on before building

5-LESS POLITICS!

I knew this would happen. We all might as well tell our children this story:

Us: Once upon a time, there was a planned structure tentatively titled the Second Avenue Subway, which would have eased congestion along Lexington Avenue.

Our kids: REALLY??? Where is it? Why haven't I seen it yet?

Us: It was planned before we were born. It was planned before our parents were born. Heck, it was probably planned before our grandparents were born! Can I ask you guys a question?

Our kids: What is it?

Us: Do you think we'll live to see the Second Avenue Subway? Do you even think you'll live to See the Second Avenue Subway?

We all start to cry.

The MTA is going to make the future generation of railfans so disappointed, not to mention the RFW window might be gone by 2030 as well when the R62s and R68s are slated for retirement. What a pity. :cry:

As some said, they should of just did it elevated style, and yes they can make tracks that are nearly quite as the trains roll over them. Just take a ride on the (6) local from Morrison-Soundview to St. Lawrence N/B. That section is extremely smooth and quite........

I know the problem then would be, "they are blocking out my sun, and scenery"........ Those are the same folks who cry we need the SAS cause the Lex is too crowded and congested.........

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I'm sorry bit if you can't laugh at this you're mighty angry at this about the Second Avenue Clusterf*#k and the Tunnel to Nowhere, and besides is anyone really shocked at this. The Second Avenue should have done 20 years ago when they broke ground in 1975 and even farther back than that (they had plans to build this back in the 20's or 30's), but suprises abound, both times they were called off due to the economy being firmly in the toilet bowl. The SAS is cursed I'm convinced. The tunnel to nowhere was making steady progress, I guess the fumes the MTA budget is running on are about to evaporate.

Also:

1-Less NIMBY's

2-People dealt with it and allowed the line to be built, they did not demand continuous utilities or prevent street closings as they do today

3-OSHA and other safety regulations did not exist

4-There was less analysis going on before building

5-LESS POLITICS!

Absolutely, thoroughly, beautifully, wonderfully and virtually flawless stated, Sir.

Archived