Major Bus Depot Swaps/Moves

trainspot12

Okay so everybody should know we're in for a big bus swap about to incur in (MTA) Bus. My uncle works with the bus orders and knows most of the people who handle with the new bus order assignments (Idk what title it is, but w/e). So here's the deal (this is a long passage so bear with me):

1) 4220-4249 as well as 3960-3969 will be heading to Flatbush. This will displace ALL 30 TMC buses. Those buses (for now) will be split between Baisley Park and LaGuardia. 4250-4278 will be most likely heading to MTA Bus, although for now it seems like either Baisley Park or LaGuardia (we'll see in the next few weeks). Far Rockaway/Spring Creek/College Point will NOT receive the Orion 7 NG in the near future.

2) As CPBO stated before, LGA/CP will be moving bus routes this Fall and Winter, meaning more CNG buses moved to West Farms and more MCI buses moved from LGA to CP. West Farms will then move their TMC buses to LaGuardia while their 93 O-5s will move to scrap. By the end of the year, ALL 90-91 TMCs will be retired with most of the 93 O5s retired. The NovaBuses will also be moved to another depot (that will be for later).

3) The Bee-Line Orion 5 buses will be heading to (MTA) Bus. The bus depots that will have them are Far Rockaway and JFK (Spring Creek may get some as well, but that's not on the option yet). Far Rockaway will be losing some Hybrids to either LaGuardia or Baisley Park (3749-3758) and ALL of their TMC buses. JFK will lose ALL of their TMC (and possibly some of their Hybrid) and retire their 93 O5 buses as well. The numbers will be revealed shortly because they will start being delivered to the depots around August-September (they desperately want the 90-91, PBL TMCs replaced). They will go in service with their original paint and with the automated door (they will be repainted whenever they can and the automated door will stay). Also, they are discussing whether to also take the 4 Orion 7s (201-204) as well. If so, that will be 3784-3787 and moved to LGA or BP.

Sorry this post is long, but that should give you an idea of the new and improved changes happening in (MTA) Bus. This will be a very interesting deal happening over the next few months.

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wheres the thanks button for the OP?

I'm going to miss 8420, 8454 and 8507, hell I'm going to miss all 30 TMCs at FLA! Sad to hear that all 1990 TMCs will be retired by the end of the this year. The good news is that Far Rock will be getting some of the Bee line Orion Vs. It will be nice to ride one on the Q35 once again.

Okay so everybody should know we're in for a big bus swap about to incur in (MTA) Bus. My uncle works with the bus orders and knows most of the people who handle with the new bus order assignments (Idk what title it is, but w/e). So here's the deal (this is a long passage so bear with me):

1) 4220-4249 as well as 3960-3969 will be heading to Flatbush. This will displace ALL 30 TMC buses. Those buses (for now) will be split between Baisley Park and LaGuardia. 4250-4278 will be most likely heading to MTA Bus, although for now it seems like either Baisley Park or LaGuardia (we'll see in the next few weeks). Far Rockaway/Spring Creek/College Point will NOT receive the Orion 7 NG in the near future.

2) As CPBO stated before, LGA/CP will be moving bus routes this Fall and Winter, meaning more CNG buses moved to West Farms and more MCI buses moved from LGA to CP. West Farms will then move their TMC buses to LaGuardia while their 93 O-5s will move to scrap. By the end of the year, ALL 90-91 TMCs will be retired with most of the 93 O5s retired. The NovaBuses will also be moved to another depot (that will be for later).

3) The Bee-Line Orion 5 buses will be heading to (MTA) Bus. The bus depots that will have them are Far Rockaway and JFK (Spring Creek may get some as well, but that's not on the option yet). Far Rockaway will be losing some Hybrids to either LaGuardia or Baisley Park (3749-3758) and ALL of their TMC buses. JFK will lose ALL of their TMC (and possibly some of their Hybrid) and retire their 93 O5 buses as well. The numbers will be revealed shortly because they will start being delivered to the depots around August-September (they desperately want the 90-91, PBL TMCs replaced). They will go in service with their original paint and with the automated door (they will be repainted whenever they can and the automated door will stay). Also, they are discussing whether to also take the 4 Orion 7s (201-204) as well. If so, that will be 3784-3787 and moved to LGA or BP.

Sorry this post is long, but that should give you an idea of the new and improved changes happening in (MTA) Bus. This will be a very interesting deal happening over the next few months.

Thanks for the great amount of info...really interesting what's happening.

I do have some questions regarding #2 just to clearly understand what will happen at West Farms...we're expecting more O5 GNCs there soon. Besides the retiring all of the 1993 O5s (8 by TTMG's count) and the TMCs (10 by TTMG's count), and pushing out the 14 NoveBus there to another depot, what will happen to the 1994-96 O5s 400s and 500s (15 total) and the 6000s (4 total) there? Are they being moved elsewhere also? Anything's greatly appreciated : ) Thanks.

MF'86

<4>

1. Believe How many #6000 series at West Farms depot will be sent to

College Point depot , and College Point depot will sent more of

#9800 series to West Farms depot . and 1996 Nova RTS bus

#8800 , #8900 series will be sent to LGA depot. and LGA

depot will retire or scrapped the #8000 series

The TMCs are gonna be retired while all of the 1993 TMCs (NYCTA) move to LGA/BP for the time being.

With the exception of 8531, 8611, 8615 and 8621, all of Far Rockaway's TMCs will retire.

With the exception of 8462, 8477-8478, 8505, all of JFK TMCs and 93 O5s will retire.

The TMCs mentioned above will go to either LaGuardia or Baisley Park.

BTW this is still early as the first set of buses won't probably arrive until August.

I really hate asking again and again, but I just wish to get a straight answer.

What about Ulmer Park? I know its a small depot, but seriously, nobody wants to ride old and dirty buses with the seats feeling like they are about to fall off.

I may not understand much about buses and models and all those numbers and I probably missed the point of the topic, but surely there has to be something in that bus swap that will leave Ulmer Park with at least some newer and cleaner buses. I wouldn't mind if its the same looking buses as long as they don't feel like they are about to break from under you.

Once again, sorry if this is off topic in anyway, its just I have to take those buses everyday.

What the hell you talking about? Ulmer Park RTS are in pretty good condition and they're doing fine with thier RTS. They're not old and dirty buses, I've seen many VII CNGs in worse condition than those RTS, damn near all VII CNGs are in worse condition.

So jfk depot will get bee line buses......welcome to the new jackie gleason depot .......and just cuz far rock won't get any ngs doesn't mean u won't see them in far rock...I'm pretty sure u will see some ngs there.....mind u jfk has 30 of them....I know for sure one then will be there....cp is getting srewed over....I'm sick of seein and loooking at there cng....send them all to west farm or at least half....give cp deot ng cng...and let's all be happy

What the hell you talking about? Ulmer Park RTS are in pretty good condition and they're doing fine with thier RTS. They're not old and dirty buses, I've seen many VII CNGs in worse condition than those RTS, damn near all VII CNGs are in worse condition.

Well from the ones I have ridden they were pretty abused looking to me (specifically a few b64s and b36s), they just don't seem good compared to the ones I rode from other depots (Flatbush, and the ones the b68 comes from).

But then again, I'm not a bus expert and a lot of times I don't really know what me or other people are talking about here.

Wait a minute...what Bee Line Orion V's are going to MTA? And why would Bee-Line swap buses with the MTA? Unless the MTA plans on taking over Bee-Line real soon.

From what I gathered, MTA Bus is buying Bee Lines' 1995 O5s 401-484, which are currently being retired from that system, as well as 4 O7s 201-204. No other buses are being swapped between MTA and Bee Lines; MTA is just purchasing them.

http://www.subchat.com/buschat/readflat.asp?Id=158509&p=1

MF'86

<4>

From what I gathered, MTA Bus is buying Bee Lines' 1995 O5s 401-484, which are currently being retired from that system, as well as 4 O7s 201-204. No other buses are being swapped between MTA and Bee Lines; MTA is just purchasing them.

http://www.subchat.com/buschat/readflat.asp?Id=158509&p=1

MF'86

<4>

They are being retired as Bee-Line gets in those NABI buses, right?

UP hasn't seen a new local bus since 1996, the buses FLA sent over are pretty decent but they aren't new. Some of the ones UP had are beat up and if UP manages to keep a good portion of the older buses looking nice then they should get something new. Itaketheb1, I understand how you feel its annoying when you see new buses running all over the places except on the routes you use the most. They finally start retiring a lot of the 400s outta KB and still there isnt one OG or NG over there. It'd be nice to know which buses are going to those 2 depots.

Slightly off topic I don't understand whats going on with WF but they've been slacking with the CNGs. Some of them look like 400s smh.

Back on topic I'll miss riding the 80XXs

I really hate asking again and again, but I just wish to get a straight answer.

What about Ulmer Park? I know its a small depot, but seriously, nobody wants to ride old and dirty buses with the seats feeling like they are about to fall off.

I may not understand much about buses and models and all those numbers and I probably missed the point of the topic, but surely there has to be something in that bus swap that will leave Ulmer Park with at least some newer and cleaner buses. I wouldn't mind if its the same looking buses as long as they don't feel like they are about to break from under you.

Once again, sorry if this is off topic in anyway, its just I have to take those buses everyday.

You think Ulmer Park is bad now? You should have rode their buses in 2003! When they had those 4600/4700s and 7500s. Don't get be wrong, I like those buses because of how the engine sounds. But UP treated those things like crap, some of them were lopsided, put out black smoke, A/C wasn't that good etc. I agree with your other post about JG & FLA buses being better than UP! The photo below shows the condtition of UP Buses back then, thats how most of their fleet looked (Execpt the MCIs & Novas)

http://gallery.bustalk.info/displayimage.php?pid=10628&fullsize=1

From what I seen, None of RTSs in UP currently are that not that bad.

Well lets see what September brings......cause the way things look I will be driving at Baisly Park depot hating my job......;):tdown:.....but CP is such a junk yard....it is not even funny.....I may switch out to just stop driving so much junk......it takes it toll on ya body.......

Hi all you insiders. As a rider on the BM-1 daily, the burning question is when are the miserable Orion 5 CNGs going to be retired from express service. That bus had no business ever running in express service. It's a local stop bus. The cushioned (very TINY) seats don't give it a pass either. They suck out loud.

Also, I no longer see 1800 and 1900 MCI's running much. Are they gone?

Who determines what bus is assigned to what run, because the BM-1 ridership might hunt him down and whack him. They keep assigning Orion 5 CNG's to the 5 o'clock downtown BM-1, while the 2, 3 and 4 all have shiney new MCI's. Problem is the BM-1 ridership is double that of any other downtown BM runs. Who can we scream at to get relief?

Good resource allocation alone should put an MCI on all BM-1 downtowns in rush hours. We have been leaving Manhattan stuffed to capacity on crummy O5's and half the time, 6 or more people are standing up, while the BM-2,3 & 4 MCI's leave nearly empty. Abuse! We are paying $5.50 for an express bus, and we are tired of not getting what we pay for.

Hi all you insiders. As a rider on the BM-1 daily, the burning question is when are the miserable Orion 5 CNGs going to be retired from express service. That bus had no business ever running in express service. It's a local stop bus. The cushioned (very TINY) seats don't give it a pass either. They suck out loud.

Also, I no longer see 1800 and 1900 MCI's running much. Are they gone?

i heard that the most of the 18-1900's are gone, however I did see 1895 on the BM3 the other night. Spring Creek also lost 3000-3004, 3100-3102, 3209, 3212 and 3252 to College Point and Far Rockaway.

Who determines what bus is assigned to what run, because the BM-1 ridership might hunt him down and whack him. They keep assigning Orion 5 CNG's to the 5 o'clock downtown BM-1, while the 2, 3 and 4 all have shiney new MCI's. Problem is the BM-1 ridership is double that of any other downtown BM runs. Who can we scream at to get relief?

One possibility is that the driver could be requesting those buses as many drivers prefer those because they are not as long and also much faster.

Good resource allocation alone should put an MCI on all BM-1 downtowns in rush hours. We have been leaving Manhattan stuffed to capacity on crummy O5's and half the time, 6 or more people are standing up, while the BM-2,3 & 4 MCI's leave nearly empty. Abuse! We are paying $5.50 for an express bus, and we are tired of not getting what we pay for.

The other lines may have busy trips earlier in the day which could be why they get an MCI. There are also now alot less Orion V's on the express lines due to the new MCI's and the 3200's coming in. The Orion V's will most likely be off the express lines soon and put onto local lines.

I agree, Ulmer got the high 5000s from Flatbush depot, how are those dirty buses? Ulmer's RTS fleet has gotten much better with nearly all of their 9300s sent out to MTA Bus.

Now speaking of Flatbush, I'll miss those TMC buses [especially 8507, which I somehow see kinda often], and I still think they should've sent all the 3900's to Manhattan so Manhattan would have all the lead acid battery buses. But that's just my opinion.

I thought Flatbush was going to receive up to 4244 and Castleton would receive 4245-4278? Did Castleton get shafted out of 5 buses?

I think all of the 1990-1991 TMC RTSs, 1993 Orion Vs and Ex-NYCDOT 1994 TMC RTSs will be gone by the end of this year. As more NGs arrive, more Orion Vs and TMC RTSs will be displaced.

I agree, Ulmer got the high 5000s from Flatbush depot, how are those dirty buses? Ulmer's RTS fleet has gotten much better with nearly all of their 9300s sent out to MTA Bus.

Now speaking of Flatbush, I'll miss those TMC buses [especially 8507, which I somehow see kinda often], and I still think they should've sent all the 3900's to Manhattan so Manhattan would have all the lead acid battery buses. But that's just my opinion.

Eventually 3900-3959 will head to Manhattan. But for now they are desperately wanting FLAs TMCs to move to MTA Bus so they can replace the 1990-1991 TMCs at LGA/BP.

I thought Flatbush was going to receive up to 4244 and Castleton would receive 4245-4278? Did Castleton get shafted out of 5 buses?

I think all of the 1990-1991 TMC RTSs, 1993 Orion Vs and Ex-NYCDOT 1994 TMC RTSs will be gone by the end of this year. As more NGs arrive, more Orion Vs and TMC RTSs will be displaced.

Supposedly that was the plan to have 4245-4278 to Castleton, but they might be heading to MTA Bus instead (although this is still not set in stone yet).

BTW there might be a O-5 bus heading to MTA Bus in the next few weeks, so keep your eyes open.

Archived