Croton-Harmon Open House

Y2Julio

It's probably a bit too early for this but is the MTA going to be doing the Croton-Harmon open house again this year? I remember hearing at the open house last year that it was going to be the last one.

It's probably a bit too early for this but is the MTA going to be doing the Croton-Harmon open house again this year? I remember hearing at the open house last year that it was going to be the last one.

My brother works in Metro North and i ask him about it. If i get an offical word i post here.

I hope they do it again. This year I have a DSLR, last year I had a cheap point and shoot with bad battery life and that doesn't do good in low light conditions which is what you have in the barns.

Sweet. Hopefully they do again. I really liked it last year not only due to the trains but the guys that work there seem to love their jobs, I had a couple of nice chats with some of the guys there.

This is one case where you don't want the capital program to move quickly. Sometime in the coming capital program, they'll have to cancel the tour for a few years. I hope not this year, because it's probably the last time to see those F-units.

I send about openhouse to Metro-North Railroad.

Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------------

Response (Ted Bowen) - 08/10/2009 04:25 PM

Dear Mr. Endo:

Thank you for your inquiry.

While we are sorry to disappoint you, there are no plans at this time to hold an Open House at Croton-Harmon this year. The continuing construction work to reconfigure the various equipment maintenance facilities there will likely preclude the event this year.

We appreciate your patronage.

Sincerely,

Ted Bowen

Manager, Customer Service Center

Customer (Yuki Endo) - 08/08/2009 08:41 PM

To whom it may concern:

I was wondering if this October, is there going to be Croton-Harmon Shop Openhouse? I had good time with last year's.

Respectfully yours truly,

While we are sorry to disappoint you, there are no plans at this time to hold an Open House at Croton-Harmon this year. The continuing construction work to reconfigure the various equipment maintenance facilities there will likely preclude the event this year.

That means (most likely) no more last look at the EMD F-units.:o

I'm not unhappy that they're not having one this year. Most Metro-North open houses consist of legions of unruly screaming children that run around and detract from the experience. (Note to self: do not take the Fall Foliage train again!)

Of course, the event is a great opportunity to get an up-close and personal look at Metro-North's equipment. But I've been to two Open Houses already and I'm not expecting to see much that's new.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm disappointed that there will be no MNRR Open House this year but understand fully. I do hope that people inquire about it in high demand which could lead for a return of it for 2010 and beyond. Originally, there wasn't going to be a Bus Roadeo this year but due to high demand, they had one. I'm hoping the same can be said for the Harmon Shop but I highly doubt that will happen. I'm also wondering if MNRR will run a Fall Foliage Train this year from GCT-Cold Spring? If you want a ride up the Hudson Line, this could be the only way to go.

As far as charging, they could make it a part of a One-Day Getaway and charge a little extra that would include:

1.a train ride to and from your starting station

2.shuttle bus to and from the train station

3.admission to the shops

4.food

5.fall foliage train ride

They should also make it from 10am-4pm. Give the late starters a little extra time to make it up there. Not everybody can make it up there early in the morning.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm disappointed that there will be no MNRR Open House this year but understand fully. I do hope that people inquire about it in high demand which could lead for a return of it for 2010 and beyond. Originally, there wasn't going to be a Bus Roadeo this year but due to high demand, they had one. I'm hoping the same can be said for the Harmon Shop but I highly doubt that will happen. I'm also wondering if MNRR will run a Fall Foliage Train this year from GCT-Cold Spring? If you want a ride up the Hudson Line, this could be the only way to go.

As far as charging, they could make it a part of a One-Day Getaway and charge a little extra that would include:

1.a train ride to and from your starting station

2.shuttle bus to and from the train station

3.admission to the shops

4.food

5.fall foliage train ride

They should also make it from 10am-4pm. Give the late starters a little extra time to make it up there. Not everybody can make it up there early in the morning.

I just found this.

http://as0.mta.info/mnr/excursion_tickets/give_more_info.cfm?dest_station=054&multi_id=109

Archived