Ceiling Collapse Disrupts 1 Subway Service

mark1447

Heres a News recap on the Ceiling Collapse on the IRT Van Cortland (1) @ 181st Street-Washington Hts

WNBC4 First, NY1 below it~

032409mtasubwaythumb448.jpg

ALL Articles based out of August 17, 2009!

WNBC4-New Yorks View:

A ceiling collapse over subway tracks late Sunday is causing delays into the Monday evening rush hour.

Bricks from the facade on the ceiling at the 181st Street station on the 1 line fell 35 feet on to the track below sometime around 10:20 p.m. Sunday, officials said. A train was in the station but didn't take any major hits.

No one was injured in the incident, but subway service was suspended, and commuters should expect severe delays.

As of Monday afternoon, the uptown (1) train was operating between South Ferry and 168th Street, and the MTA is offering free shuttle bus service between 168th and Dyckman street. Downtown (1) train service was operating between Van Cortland Park-242nd Street and Dyckman Street.

Wheelchair bound customers traveling to the affected areas should call 800-834-1173 to make arrangements, the MTA advised.

New York City Transit Authority spokesman Mark Groce said it was unclear when normal service would resume.

The exact cause of the ceiling collapse is still under investigation, officials said.

The 181st Street station is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

SOURCE: WNBC-4 New York

New York 1s View:

A ceiling collapse in a subway station continues to cause some disruptions on the Number (1) line this evening.

New York City Transit says debris on the track is forcing (1) trains to bypass the 181st Street station.

Crews are looking into the collapse. No injuries have been reported.

Riders say the inconvenience delayed their morning commute.

"It's slowing me up and it's really a big hassle because you time it so you can make it to work just on time, and now I'm probably going to be about 20 minutes late," said one straphanger.

"I just got off the bus. I'm waiting for the train and I see the MTA workers there and they just said for us to get on the shuttle. And all the buses are packed," said another.

"It's taking a little bit longer than usual, but hopefully it's not too bad," said a third.

There is no (1) train service between the 168th Street Station and the Dyckman Street Station in both directions. Northbound (1) trains are ending at 168th Street.

Shuttle train service is running between 242nd Street and Dyckman Street, making all stops.

Shuttle buses are running between Dyckman Street and 168th Street.

Customers can also use the M100 or the BX7 bus service running on Broadway.

The service changes are expected to continue throughout the day.

Source: New York 1

Video via this URL:

http://ny1.com/content/top_stories/104167/service-disruptions-continue-on-1-train/Default.aspx

Have Adobe Flash Player Installed to view Video!

This incident is a perfect example of accidents waiting to happen.MTA NYC Transit needs to take action when it comes to station conditions.This could have been a freak accident or station neglect,we don't know yet.Thank god no one was hurt or killed.I wrote a thread a while back about a similar incident that happened to me as i was waiting for a train on one of the stations on the (N) Sea Beach Line.As reports and investigations continue to take place as we speak another incident like this could happen at another station,god forbid!.MTA needs to inspect all stations thoroughly and fast!.

Unlike previously mentioned, (1) shuttle trains between Dyckman and 242 are making all stops in both directions.

An (MTA) press release has been issued, which should be on the forums shortly. It talks about ADA accessiblity and the future.

• The service suspension will be until further notice.
  • Repairs may take several days.
  • The M3 bus will be fare free at 168 St. Northbound, 181 St. both directions, and 191 St. southbound.

Unlike previously mentioned, (1) shuttle trains between Dyckman and 242 are making all stops in both directions.

An (MTA) press release has been issued, which should be on the forums shortly. It talks about ADA accessiblity and the future.

• The service suspension will be until further notice.

• Repairs may take several days.

• The M3 bus will be fare free at 168 St. Northbound, 181 St. both directions, and 191 St. southbound.

So im guessing service on the (1) will be suspended for a few days?

So how will they move the extra (1) trains around? Will they use 207th Street, use IND trackage to get to Concourse Yards and then use Lexington trackage and then make its way to Seventh Avenue? That's gonna be one heck of a long move just to get (1) trains from 240th Street around this mess.

181st Street is 122 Feet below the ground hence why I don't understand how a building can damage a station that far down.

Here's some depths in the area. Note the track do not change in grade. The hills above do.

157th -50 Feet

168th -120 Feet

181st -122 Feet

191st -180 Feet *Deepest Station on the NYC Subway*

Dykeman +15 Feet

So how will they move the extra (1) trains around? Will they use 207th Street, use IND trackage to get to Concourse Yards and then use Lexington trackage and then make its way to Seventh Avenue? That's gonna be one heck of a long move just to get (1) trains from 240th Street around this mess.

Ever heard of 137th Street Yard?

Northern Manhattan and Bronx Bound (1) uses 240th St Yard [i dunno about 207th and I doubt Concourse Yard too much moving for a yard]

Southern Manhattan (1)s stick with 137th St

Possible ground shift or damage from water pressure. It has happened in several other post & beam style transit tunnels in various places before.

There is a fault line though much of manhattan as some of you probably know, and in fact there's a registered 4.x earthquake up in westchester county from about 35 years ago. The island's varying terrain is due mostly to glacial movement long ago. The glacier's weight helped form the fault line. There are other fault lines up and down the east coast, but none are very active aside from the new madrid zone.

Whatever the cause, i hope they fix it properly and figure out what exactly happened so it doesn't happen again.

- A

This was unfortunate. Maybe they'll be storing trains (in addition to using the 137th St Yard) on M track between 103rd St & 145th St since they can't get to 240th.

Yeah most likely. But how did a building cause the tunnel bricks to come loose? I think the bricks came loose because the tunnel's basically old.

I rode the (1) tonight to see just how bad things were there and from what I saw, trains were being stored in the express track from stations as far as (I could be wrong here) but I believe 116th St - Columbia Univ. It was crazy walking past the media once we got to 168th St. Lisa Evers was about to shoot her piece for Fox 5 on that bridge over the (1) and then when we got outside, I saw the news trucks for Pix 11 and Univision. It was very crowded there but it wasn't chaotic. The bus, an artic #5503, got us to Dyckman St in around 10-15 mins. The (1) shuttle came in on the uptown track and took us northbound and I got off at 207th St. It's unfortunate that this will take several days but the work has to be done but with this heat wave we got going, this was real bad timing.

I got an e mail from the mta saying

Due to ceiling and track debris at the 181 St station, the (1) line has the

following service change until further notice:

- 1 trains run between South Ferry and 168 St

- Free shuttle buses will operate between 168 St and Dyckman St

- 1 shuttle trains run between Dyckman St and 242 St

- Customers using wheelchairs can call 1-800-834-1173 for assistance.

Please allow extra time for your trip.

(2) and (3) express service is not affected. Am i right?

If this incident is located at 181st Street on Broadway, how can the (2)(3) would be affected if it turns for Lenox Ave Local at 96th and towards the Bronx...

No the (2)(3) is not affected..

this is great for the VC crews. they are getting drops like crazy. i could do shuttles like that all day. i feel bad for the crews on the other end because they have to put up with the public's b!tching and moaning like its their fault the ceiling fell. let me tell all the non ta people here some thing nyct is not proactive. they are reactive they will let just about anything go until something bad happens. most of the stations outside of midtown are in bad repair.

this is great for the VC crews. they are getting drops like crazy. i could do shuttles like that all day. i feel bad for the crews on the other end because they have to put up with the public's b!tching and moaning like its their fault the ceiling fell. let me tell all the non ta people here some thing nyct is not proactive. they are reactive they will let just about anything go until something bad happens. most of the stations outside of midtown are in bad repair.

I was in the 'city' yesterday and I was involved 'indirectly' with this mess. I got off Metro North Marble Hill station around 4pm and board the Downtown (1)to head to West Midtown or Brooklyn via transfer. This saves a couple of bucks for me on MNRR but that another topic.

Thankfully i had a quick thinking and excellent conductor at 225th who advised us of the collapse at 181st and besides the (1) shuttle bus between Dyckman and 168th also told on PA to use as 'much faster' alternative' use the BX7 bus' and use the (A) at 207th. I did the female conductor's advice and i am happy i did. Boarded the (A) at 207th and got to 42nd in only 35 minutes. I wish i knew her name/badge number i would have called (MTA) customer service phoneline give her a commendation.:tup::cool:

Yet most of the riders stayed on, even with (some may not speak english) as the PA to me seemed to work very well, which i am sure added 20-30 minutes or more to their travel time. The station agent had No signs at all at 225th of the 181th incident.:confused:

I am not going to say much about the buliding collapse at 181 until reports and invegestation come out. Thankfully nobody ie customers or (MTA) crew was hurt. Only complaint i had as i did avoided the (1) chaos in Washington Heights was again the station agent at 225th station (1)not listing the service disprutions. By 4pm he/she should have known.:tdown: and advising the riders to use the BX7 to get to the (A) at 207th.

Just my takes on the chaos on the (1) on Monday being in middle of(sort of)the service changes after the collapse.

Archived