45 years ago today

R33WF

you could of loaded the image:

img_75611.jpg

So September 9, 1964 is the birth of the run of the R32s?

I checked wiki on that...

But a Happy Birthday to the R32s! Let it rock over the R160s lol. I love 160s but wanna show some respect to the oldest cars still running...

45 years later, the R32s are still strong and are still rolling. I'm dreading the day they retire man!

Im afraid too. I wonder if the (C) is gonna be the last of the R32s, unless the R44/46s get a share on the (C) with the (A) then they both are splitting it sumin?

Im afraid too. I wonder if the (C) is gonna be the last of the R32s, unless the R44/46s get a share on the (C) with the (A) then they both are splitting it sumin?

Hopefully when the C becomes 600' trains, the R32's will run on both lines and the last run would be on the A. The best thing would be if the R32 ran to Far Rockaway for the final run.

45 years later, the R32s are still strong and are still rolling. I'm dreading the day they retire man!

Well, some of them. 2/3rds are retired. The one's that are 45 years in service are the ones delivered between Sep 9, 1964 and Sep 9, 1965. But, the model has been in service for 45 years. That's a long time.

Then next year the model will possible make it to 46??

You never know. I'd be damned if the R32s retired an exact year from now. It could, and even so, the R32s were built to last for 50 years, so let's see.

Personally I'm hoping for a last run to the Rockaways.

Me too, I'd like to see the (C) extended down to rockaway Park just like before in the early 90s to get an R32 train down to Rock Park/B 116 St

Also, I think the first R32 was manufactured as early as 1963, which would make it simaulteniously as the #5 Cambridge-Dorchester MTA Boston Car and the TTC's Montrealer Cars

Speaking of that I wonder will they ever extend the (C) to Rockaway Park Beach 116th Street? It would be cool to see the (C) go there one more time.

Maybe, but right now, it's not possible. There are not enough trains to reinstate this service pattern, and the (C) would be unbelievably long as the (A). Remember when it went to Bedford Park Boulevard??? The LONGEST route in the system, probably beating the (A).

I'm surprised NY1 didn't highlight the R32's 45th year in service under the "Today in NYC history" column of the site or on TV.

Most of NYC's population doesn't care about the subway. If I remember correctly, the R32s were one of the worst fleets covered with graffiti back in the day.

Most of NYC's population doesn't care about the subway. If I remember correctly, the R32s were one of the worst fleets covered with graffiti back in the day.

Then how come the NYC history column covered the R38s debut in service???

i cannot believe you just said that. just because you hate the R32s does not mean you have to tell something that is absolutely false. the R32s were one of the best cars in fighting graffitti because they are made out of stainless steel. in fact, the R32s' successful combat against graffitti was the reason (NYCT) wanted all cars ordered after them to be built of stainless steel, but picking St. Louis to do that was a huge mistake, which is why that company went out of business after the R44s went into service. they did not know how to make full use of stainless, unlike Budd, Kawasaki, Bombardier, etc. the R40s, not the R32s, were the worst of all the graffitti-tagged cars of the 1980s along with most of the IRT single units.

Then how come the NYC history column covered the R38s debut in service???

the R38s were the first cars to be built with air-conditioning and it was quite successful. because of them, all (NYCT) cars now have air-conditoning. nobody imagined the R32s would be so good until much later as they were not the first (NYCT) cars to be built of stainless steel. The R11s, also by Budd, were, but the order was cut short due to budget problems and lack of knowledge of that kind of steel. NY1 does not cover debut or retirement of subway cars, no matter how people like or hate them. they do not cover the retirement of the Redbirds every November 3. i am just hoping there will city-wide news coverage of the R32s' final trip like them because the R32s are very similar to those cars.

i am just hoping there will city-wide news coverage of the R32s' final trip like them because the R32s are very similar to those cars.

It can be suggested to the MTA to sponsor such a trip or go to news media like NY1 to cover it. You gotta wait until the last day though, which can be hard. The R40Ms retired in the morning, the Slants retired in the evening.

i cannot believe you just said that. just because you hate the R32s does not mean you have to tell something that is absolutely false. the R32s were one of the best cars in fighting graffitti because they are made out of stainless steel. in fact, the R32s' successful combat against graffitti was the reason (NYCT) wanted all cars ordered after them to be built of stainless steel, but picking St. Louis to do that was a huge mistake, which is why that company went out of business after the R44s went into service. they did not know how to make full use of stainless, unlike Budd, Kawasaki, Bombardier, etc. the R40s, not the R32s, were the worst of all the graffitti-tagged cars of the 1980s along with most of the IRT single units.

Why do you always bring up the R44s? Best cars fighting graffiti...that is false b/c the graffiti era didn't even hit yet when the R32s were ordered. The R32s were modeled after the experimental R11s, which were also made out of stainless steel. Budd won the contract b/c of money, not b/c of stainless steel. Don't you know as a R32 fanatic that Budd was always known in producing trains with durable stainless steel exteriors before the R32s? I personally like the exteriors, but that's only what I see them as.

Archived