Thompson Wins Dem Primary, Vance Takes DA

mark1447

2w5sy1z.jpg

Polls for the New York City primaries are officially closed. Bill Thompson will officially take on Mike Bloomberg in the mayoral race this fall, and Morgenthau-backed Cyrus Vance will move into the Manhattan DA's office.

The race for public advocate and city comptroller both end in runoffs.

The city's Board of Elections reported that more than 4,000 voting machines were set up at 1,300-plus poll sites throughout the five boroughs, reports NY1.

Click here for live updates on election coverage.

Results for the mayoral race came in first, with the race going to Bill Thompson, the expected winner. With 99 percent of precincts reporting, Thompson had 70 percent of the vote; underdog Tony Avella had 21 percent of the vote. Avella conceded the race to Thompson at about 10 p.m. and said he would speak with Thompson about a possible endorsement in the "near future."

Thompson was quick to take jabs at Bloomberg in his victory speech.

"After eight years of a mayor who has looked out for the rich and powerful, isn't it time we had a mayor who looked out for the rest of us?" Thompson said. "It's time for a change, New York. Eight years is enough."

The crowd began chanting "Eight is enough. Eight is enough," as Thompson continued to gain momentum by putting down his opponent in the general election.

"I'm running for mayor because in these tough times we need a mayor who's on our side," Thompson said. "As a lifelong New Yorker, I know we can do better."

"Tonight, Mayor Bloomberg. It's time to stop hiding behind your television ads. I have a challenge for you," Thompson added. "Let's debate all across this city -- in each and every borough. I'm not afraid to tell New Yorkers about my version for our city. Are you?"

Mayor Michael Bloomberg wasn't on the ballot, but he wasted no time launching his official campaign with a rally for supporters at 9 p.m. -- just about the time the results of the polls were coming in.

Turnout was expected to be relatively low compared with the presidential race last November; many candidates in the primary were virtually unknown and many New Yorkers weren't even aware today was primary day. Given the "unbelievably low turnout," a spokeswoman for the Marist Poll said on NY1 that some races may not be decided until tomorrow.

There are primary elections in 32 of the 51 city council districts; most incumbents seeking re-election were expected to win. The primaries are particularly competitive in seven districts in Queens and Brooklyn, however, where incumbents are seeking other offices, reports The New York Times.

Candidates for comptroller, the office responsible for city finances, were neck and neck all night -- and since neither of the two leading candidates received more than 40 percent of the vote, the race is headed for a runoff. With 99 percent of precincts reporting, Liu led the comptroller race with 38 percent of the vote. David Yassky trailed Liu with 30 percent of the vote, Melinda Katz was in third with 20 percent and David Weprin lagged behind with 11 percent.

A runoff is also in store in the race for public advocate. Bill de Blasio posted surprising early poll numbers -- leading opponent Mark Green 33 percent to 31 percent with 99 percent of precincts reporting. Eric Gioia trailed behind with 18 percent of the vote. With neither of the two leading candidates expected to get 40 percent of the vote, the runoff would be held in two weeks on Sept. 29.

Bill de Blasio, who wasn't expected to have such a strong showing, gains a huge boost of momentum from the poll results.

"Are you ready for a runoff?" de Blasio asked supporters at a rally after all the polls came in. "The people have spoken this evening. The people want change and we're going to give it to them in two weeks, aren't we?"

"The public advocate needs to be driven by the highest interest of all New Yorkers," he added. "That's the kind of public advocate I will be."

The Democrat who wins the primary for public advocate is favored to win the general election in November; there is no strong Republican challenger.

The public advocate is the City Hall watchdog, and is second in line if something happens to the mayor.

The race for Manhattan district attorney was another highly anticipated one; Cyrus Vance Jr. came away with it. For the past 35 years legendary Robert Morgenthau has prosecuted some of the city's worst crooks and criminals. At 90-years-old, he won't be running for re-election, opening the seat up to democratic candidates, Richard Aborn, Leslie Crocker Snyder and Morgenthau-supported Vance Jr., who ran a close race.

With 92 percent of precincts reporting, Vance was declared the winner with 44 percent of the vote. Snyder had 30 percent of the vote, followed by Aborn with 26 percent.

"The important thing is that he's going to maintain the full strength of the office, which is its people," Morgenthau said of Vance this evening. "He'll provide the leadership that's necessary for them to carry out their duties."

Waving a hand and standing next to his mentor, Vance addressed a fired up crowd that kept screaming his name.

"This victory is not mine; this victory is yours," said Vance amid applause. "We ran a campaign that I am very proud of."

Perhaps the most publicized race has been that for mayor, which has been buzzed about since Michael Bloomberg announced his intentions to extend term limits last year. Thompson was so confident of his victory tonight, that he didn't paid for any TV advertisements.

Even while campaigning on primary day, Thompson was focused on the general election.

"We've had eight years of Mike Bloomberg and it's time for a change,'' Thompson told voters at a Queens senior center.

Ever the savvy pol, Bloomberg tried to detract attention from the primary today, launching a new ad and putting out a new slogan -- "Progress, not politics" -- which is seen as a veiled blow against his Democratic challenger.

Bloomberg jumped at the opportunity to official launch his campaign by speaking to supporters this evening.

He came out flashing his sense of humor -- is Brooklyn in the house? Let me hear you Manhattan?

"We've got a choice. We're not going back. We're going forward," Bloomberg said. "I know you've already heard attacks against us in this campaign and there will be more to come."

The mayor proceeded to lead a high-powered speech, boasting about his accomplishments in the financial and educational realms.

"We saved our surpluses instead of squandering them. That's progress," Bloomberg added.

He didn't mention Thompson by name but tried to cast him as a return to politics as usual, someone who comes from a political machine run by party bosses and special interests.

Thompson says Bloomberg favors the wealthy over regular people and argues it's time for a change.

Most council races went to the incumbent, but Daniel Dromm beat Helen Sears in Queens, Margaret Chin was declared winner over Alan Gerson in Manhattan, and Fernando Cabrera was narrowly edging out Maria Baez in the Bronx.

Statewide, 13 counties have local elections, including primaries for mayor in Albany, Buffalo and Syracuse. Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown faces a primary challenge from City Councilman Michael Kearns; a poll earlier this month showed them virtually tied.

With no Republican or independent candidates in the race, the vote will decide who is mayor of Buffalo.

Voters in Queens went to the polls for a special election to fill an Assembly seat vacated by Anthony Seminerio, who pleaded guilty to a federal corruption charge.

Fellow Democrat Mike Miller of Glendale, founder of an organization that serves adults with developmental disabilities, has strong party support against Republican Donna Marie Caltabiano of Woodhaven, who runs a senior center.

In most of the races -- those for Comptroller, Mayor, and a slew of city council seats -- the majority of those polled indicated that they don't know enough to say who they'd vote for.

Source: WNBC-4 New York

September 15, 2009

Do u guys think bill thompson have a chance .....I think lord bloomberg will slay him.....thompson is a faliure he's fail at ever job he's had......as for lord bloomberg 8 years is a lot but so far I like the things he has done....so lord bloomberg have my vote.....I don't think bill thompson is ready to run a city of 8 million (mmaybe more) and a city budget of 6 billion.........he fail as the prez of the boe..(now the doe) and he did an sour job (so so job ) as city controler....now I feel john lui will win this in two weeks.....and that's about it.....from me.....I would like to hear feedback...............

Do u guys think bill thompson have a chance .....I think lord bloomberg will slay him.....thompson is a faliure he's fail at ever job he's had......as for lord bloomberg 8 years is a lot but so far I like the things he has done....so lord bloomberg have my vote.....I don't think bill thompson is ready to run a city of 8 million (mmaybe more) and a city budget of 6 billion.........he fail as the prez of the boe..(now the doe) and he did an sour job (so so job ) as city controler....now I feel john lui will win this in two weeks.....and that's about it.....from me.....I would like to hear feedback...............

and u dont think bloomberg has not failed as the lord of education passing children with a 55 giving two credits for passing the same class twice if that is not mediocrity and passing children for stats i dont know what is. if you are a millionaire or billionaire bloomberg is your pick if you a middle class working man looking for a decent wage and job security thompson is your man bloomberg is a rich east side so called liberal lets get rid of this bum this si the same man who called mta workers hoodlums when they were fighting for a decent wage and is now calling to rollback their 11 percent raise this is what u want for mayor vote for lord bloomberg

and u dont think bloomberg has not failed as the lord of education passing children with a 55 giving two credits for passing the same class twice if that is not mediocrity and passing children for stats i dont know what is. if you are a millionaire or billionaire bloomberg is your pick if you a middle class working man looking for a decent wage and job security thompson is your man bloomberg is a rich east side so called liberal lets get rid of this bum this si the same man who called mta workers hoodlums when they were fighting for a decent wage and is now calling to rollback their 11 percent raise this is what u want for mayor vote for lord bloomberg
.............u have so good pionts I will tell u that for sure.......I'm a middle class 21 year old black man.....I just feel that thompson is not ready he will put up a fight. But it won't be the bloomberg.....and I'm call lord bloomberg lord cuz of the term limts ....I was never a support of that I felt the people should had gotten a say......bloomberg have flaw and I'm sorry that I didn't say it in my first post......I just feel bloomberg need someone to give him a run for his money...and I feel thompson is not the choice...right now .....and since u did bring the doe ...when it was the boe kid where being pull to the next grade pass or fail...trust me I know I was one of them..now kids in school have to past the grade to move to the next grade which its the way it should be....and sure I agree with u 100% about stats....but guess what....kids are now learning so stats or not the doe is working even with some of the flaws the sytem still haves....the boe set kid up to fail u know it and I know it......kids are passing and teachers and priniples are being held more than ever to make them kids past.....now with the (MTA) I didn't know he said that and I will do so reseach on it......so I can't really comment on that......

i apologize for coming off so strong but perhaps you are right maybe we need a stronger canidate but we have to support who has been chosen to go aginst lord bloomberg and thats thompson and give him some credit many democrats were scared of his money bloomberg and thompson has stepped up to run against the mighty bloomberg

I'd rather take someone relatively unknown who says the right things and talks up the middle class rather than that ass clown bloomberg who is all about the wealthy and pro business (ESPECIALLY THE CROOKS IN THE FINANCE INDUSTRY!!!). It's time those f***ers paid their share and stopped getting off easy, and someone that is tough on them while spreading the love for the middle class...NOT as charity but because a strong working class benefits EVERYONE, then that person has my vote.

Bloomberg has done nothing except make grand promises he can't back up and if there's this "surplus" how come the city pays so little for MTA? I know it's a state agency but come on. Meanwhile all he has done with that surplus is give big raises to people who work with him.

I'll give him improving education, but other than that he's done nothing about major problems in the city. He rode of Giuliani's momentum and while I can't say I'm a huge Rudy fan I can say that Giuliani made huge strides against crime during his time and cleaning up the city's image. Bloomberg has done nothing except keep things cold and corporate.

Get him out of office. There's a reason for term limits. It's time the people of New York blasted him on election day and let him know his money is no good here.

I would also like to see rents for homes going down, landlords are so abusive this time around, and i dunno what Bloomberg is doing.

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!! It's the Bloombergian way! Let business run wild and f*** everyone over! All in the name of more profits!

Archived