NYNJ Rail's Union Pacific loco running in Brooklyn

Y2Julio

So what happens if a car cuts off the train?or tries to pass it somehow? Ive always thought that street-running area to be kinda dangerous.

Is there enough SBK trackage left for it to even be used for anything? I heard somewhere that a lot of it was ripped up a few years back

So what happens if a car cuts off the train?or tries to pass it somehow? Ive always thought that street-running area to be kinda dangerous.

Is there enough SBK trackage left for it to even be used for anything? I heard somewhere that a lot of it was ripped up a few years back

Not all freight can take the ~1.5 week detour up the hudson. This is just a small reminder of the vast car float operations once in place in the NY harbor. If a car tries to cut off the loco/train the car will be damaged and need repair. Street running is only as dangerous as people make it. It used to be the de-factor standard across the country, with streetcars in most towns and every city, even across some bridges.

The tracks are not ripped up, however unused spurs may have been paved over. Removing street tracks takes a lot of money and effort, so usually they are paved over & left in place.

- A

The tracks are not ripped up, however unused spurs may have been paved over.

- A

SBK'S main line went from 39th Street BMT yard to Coney Island Yard and all of that is gone. About 4 or 5 years ago they ripped up all the track that was under the Culver line on MacDonald Av. Back in the 80's they ripped up the tracks along 13th Av that had been under the Culver Shuttle line. The only section of SBK trackage around is the yard behind Cosco, the connection to the West End Line, and some tracks on 2nd and 1st Av. NYC DOT has a thing for tripping up old tracks around the city.

I have a question about the streetside track.

If there are no switches on the street, how do the trains switch and choose which track to take? There are a few of them on 1 Av in the 40s.

They do have switches, atlest last time I was down there they did.

What reason?

Running commuter train locomotives on the city streets. Back then, the TTC was afraid that the Toronto St Railway (long defunct) would run steam locomotives and freight trains on the city streets as they did in NYC. I was actually wrong about the TTC trolley gauge as it's actually a broad gauge, not a narrow gauge system.

Running commuter train locomotives on the city streets. Back then, the TTC was afraid that the Toronto St Railway (long defunct) would run steam locomotives and freight trains on the city streets as they did in NYC. I was actually wrong about the TTC trolley gauge as it's actually a broad gauge, not a narrow gauge system.

The gauge won't have anything to do with the likelihood of accidents. Drivers' awareness, the length of trains, and the speed of trains and vehicles through the area are the only things that will affect it.

The gauge won't have anything to do with the likelihood of accidents. Drivers' awareness, the length of trains, and the speed of trains and vehicles through the area are the only things that will affect it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_streetcar_system

Go down to gauge.

Also this: http://transit.toronto.on.ca/streetcar/4002.shtml

Archived