Student Metro Card Not Valid on Express Buses?

Bracamonte

I read a sign on a farebox on a bus and it saids that student metrocard is not valid on express buses. Why is that? I mean, what if a student goes to a high school in Manhattan and needs to use an express bus?

The MTA does not think that students are worthy of that privelege and the MTA wants to make money and try make its ends meet. From my express bus experience there also may be a bias amongst the older passengers who ride express buses. If it is too expensive I'm sorry to say that you have to smell armpits on the subway. Or, find a school in your home borough. It doesn't get more New York than this.

The MTA does not think that students are worthy of that privelege and the MTA wants to make money and try make its ends meet. From my express bus experience there also may be a bias amongst the older passengers who ride express buses. If it is too expensive I'm sorry to say that you have to smell armpits on the subway. Or, find a school in your home borough. It doesn't get more New York than this.

I thought Students can access but pay half of the fare?

I read a sign on a farebox on a bus and it saids that student metrocard is not valid on express buses. Why is that? I mean, what if a student goes to a high school in Manhattan and needs to use an express bus?

Because the NYC Department of Education isn't paying the bill. That is something to take up with the NYCDOE.

Because the NYC Department of Education isn't paying the bill. That is something to take up with the NYCDOE.

That is absolutely correct. Sooner or later, student MetroCards are going to be phased out unless the DOE keeps up with their debt they owe the MTA. This is why I seriously think high schoolers should be paying half-fare no matter whether they use a bus or train - they can actually add value to their card. I pick on high schoolers because pretty soon they'll have to pay the base fare to get around (e.g. work, college, etc.).

That is absolutely correct. Sooner or later, student MetroCards are going to be phased out unless the DOE keeps up with their debt they owe the MTA. This is why I seriously think high schoolers should be paying half-fare no matter whether they use a bus or train - they can actually add value to their card. I pick on high schoolers because pretty soon they'll have to pay the base fare to get around (e.g. work, college, etc.).

That's true but some people can't afford it and their neighborhood schools are horrible.

nope

That's true but some people can't afford it and their neighborhood schools are horrible.

Financial burdens shouldn't hinder kids from getting a decent education. The schools in my area suck (Campus Magnet, Springfield Gardens, August Martin). I traveled all the way to downtown Brooklyn to get a high school education.

Express buses are a premium service and should not be accessed by those who do not pay the fare. School kids get free access to the local buses and subways and they should be content with that.

The MTA will not phase out the student mertocards; if they did we would lose 90% of the revenue on buses (student). I remember going to high school and having the monthly pass that you showed the driver which was for bus only. I used it on the trains all the time. Station Agent would not bother to check would just buzz us in or gate was open already. Most employees (B/O) don’t care if the students or any other person pays the fare they just want to get to the end of the line without incidents

Students don't have to take the express bus. There is always a different way to get to a school from your house using the subway and a local bus. No matter where you live, going to a school in a different borough shouldn't be a problem at all given our transit system.

Students don't have to take the express bus. There is always a different way to get to a school from your house using the subway and a local bus. No matter where you live, going to a school in a different borough shouldn't be a problem at all given our transit system.

Plus they piss off the MTA employees. And the other passengers.

I think it's more that the parents would rather the kids take the express buses then the subway-local bus combo. Especially where the Lex IRT is concerned.

Plus they piss off the MTA employees. And the other passengers.

Not all students. Some, like me, just wait on the platform quietly. When the train comes, I just get on, sit down (if available), and do my homework. For the bus, I just pay the necessary fare and get done with it. Afterwards, I thank the bus driver.

So if a Hunter student lives in Eltingville he/she should take the SIR to the ferry to the Lex IRT instead of the express bus?

Not all students. Some, like me, just wait on the platform quietly. When the train comes, I just get on, sit down (if available), and do my homework. For the bus, I just pay the necessary fare and get done with it. Afterwards, I thank the bus driver.

One kid came and made is music loud with the boom box on the Q101.

Financial burdens shouldn't hinder kids from getting a decent education. The schools in my area suck (Campus Magnet, Springfield Gardens, August Martin). I traveled all the way to downtown Brooklyn to get a high school education.

Right, Springfield Gardens & August Martin are my area schools and they really suck, even if I went to August Martin there's no bus that goes over there so I'd have to walk about 2 miles every day. I commute over an hour (each way) to go to a school that may close soon, it "was supposed to be a good school" according to everybody but that's not the case.

I lived in Riverdale for K-9 and went to school on the Upper East Side. It was a lot more convient to take the Bxm1 and walk or the Bxm3 and the M96 than to take the Bx10 (1) M96 or Bx10 (4)(6) M96.

I had a huge problem in HS going from Glen Oaks to Bedford Park twice a day and the X32 or QM1A/(4) made it easier. With the latter all I had to do was get up at 545, walk across the street by 615 when 3 QM1A's left, sleep on the bus get off at the last stop and get on the train.

Getting up at 530 am getting on the Q46 at 6 and taking the (E) to (D) was a pain in the a**

Archived