Manhattan Bridge Subway Lines to Be Disrupted

Harry

A $150 million project to replace all of the vertical suspension cables on the 100-year-old Manhattan Bridge will cause sporadic weekend disruptions in subway service and require closings of the bikeway and some traffic lanes for parts of the next four years, city transportation officials said this week.

The city’s Department of Transportation is preparing to award a contract for the repair work to Skanska, a Swedish company whose American headquarters are in New York. The department notified Skanska last week that its bid, which was just shy of $150 million, was lower than the other four received.

The contract is one of 14 that make up the final phase of a three-decade effort to rebuild the bridge, which connects Lower Manhattan to Downtown Brooklyn.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/30/nyregion/30bridge.html?_r=1

post-1-133288581101_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288581101_thumb.jpg

Does this mean a temporary return of (Q6) and <Q>?

I doubt it. The work is going to be done on the weekend to ease the burden on weekday office workers and such, so I really doubt the (Q6) and <Q> will return for this.

Well expect interesting G/Os from here.. I guess. But still this is crappy. To bad these trains can't use a tunnel to get between Manhattan and Brooklyn permanently..

Rally to build the Manhattan Tunnel :P

its either (N)(Q)'s run on the (R), (:P(D)'s will most likely get split, or end up via the (N)(R), this is going to piss off customers again.

i dont think the (:P(D) would end up via (N)(R) unless its to split along 6th/ Broadway lines..

I doubt it. The work is going to be done on the weekend to ease the burden on weekday office workers and such, so I really doubt the (Q6) and <Q> will return for this.

u be surprised if they eliminate the (W), make the (D) terminate at 34 St again, and the (:P to Astoria via Broadway. they dont need the (:P up CPW or 6 Av for situations like this. the (C)(D) do the job good, or make the (D) local from 145 St to 59 St....i mean this is the MTA, im sure they know what theyre doing.

u be surprised if they eliminate the (W), make the (D) terminate at 34 St again, and the (:P to Astoria via Broadway. they dont need the (;) up CPW or 6 Av for situations like this. the (C)(D) do the job good, or make the (D) local from 145 St to 59 St....i mean this is the MTA, im sure they know what theyre doing.

I'll take that last statement with a grain of salt. The MTA can sometimes have a couple screws loose. If it's weekend service they're disrupting, they may as well do this:

1. (N) and (Q) run via Lower Manhattan; otherwise, normal.

2. (D) terminates at LES - Second Avenue.

3. Extend (M) to Coney Island via West End to take slack for the (D), which will be truncated to Manhattan.

4. Have (R) run as far as Atlantic - Pacific; extend (Q) to Queens during this time so four different routes won't clog the Montague Tunnel, even though it's the weekend.

5. The (B) and (W) obviously don't run on weekends so there's no need to worry about these lines.

I have a feeling that the lines will not be re-routed, but simply shut down for a few hours for each operation. 4 years x 52 weekends a year = plenty of time to do every suspender cable set without rerouting trains. Simply have them terminate where other lines diverge.

- A

I'll take that last statement with a grain of salt. The MTA can sometimes have a couple screws loose. If it's weekend service they're disrupting, they may as well do this:

1. (N) and (Q) run via Lower Manhattan; otherwise, normal.

2. (D) terminates at LES - Second Avenue.

3. Extend (M) to Coney Island via West End to take slack for the (D), which will be truncated to Manhattan.

4. Have (R) run as far as Atlantic - Pacific; extend (Q) to Queens during this time so four different routes won't clog the Montague Tunnel, even though it's the weekend.

5. The (:P and (W) obviously don't run on weekends so there's no need to worry about these lines.

this is actually a very good idea! except:

i dont think they'll extend the (M) to Coney Island to replace the (D). the only time the (M) or (J) get extended into that part of Brooklyn is if the (4) doesnt run. (and remember, (M)(N)(Q) trains on one track causes delays too. i remember when it used to be the (M)(N)(R) at one point, then the weekends the (R)(W) via Tunnel with the (Q) running there as well. That's too many trains on one track. LATE NIGHTS is completely different. also, in 1995 where the (N)(Q)(R) ran on the same track because of bridge work. They had the (;) running from Coney Island to Pacific St (via West End-4 Av Exp), and the (Q) replaced the (D) via Brighton while the (D) terminated at 34 St. lol im mad i remember all this.) but yea, if thats the case, let the (D) terminate at either 36 St or Pacific St, the (R) terminate at 59 St.

and then like u said:

(Q) to Forest Hills via Broadway (Tunnel)-Queens Blvd Local

(N) via Broadway (Tunnel)-4 Av Local.

other than that, i like your idea!

Other possible weekend changes we can see:

-(D) via Tunnel to Times Square, via Broadway Express between Canal St and 42 St.

-(N)(Q) Via Tunnel and Broadway Local; (N) to Astoria and the (Q) to Forest Hills (as stated here earlier)Replaces the (R) via Queens Blvd Local

(R) cut back to 36 St.

(D)(N) via 4 Av Local

Now with this stated, I highly doubt well see any extension of the (J) or (M) via Tunnel to Prospect Park, because ( again like, stated earlier) 4 trains via tunnel at once, is way too many, Especially with switching to/from Nassau St.

I would think (F) riders would be mad now too, because they're trains will become more crowded, either at Stillwell or 4 Av-9 St.

I guess well see what the TA brings to the table once these G.O.'s begin.

Zach

-(D) via Tunnel to Times Square, via Broadway Express between Canal St and 42 St.

-(N)(Q) Via Tunnel and Broadway Local; (N) to Astoria and the (Q) to Forest Hills (as stated here earlier)Replaces the (R) via Queens Blvd Local

(R) cut back to 36 St.

(D)(N) via 4 Av Local

Now with this stated, I highly doubt well see any extension of the (J) or (M) via Tunnel to Prospect Park, because ( again like, stated earlier) 4 trains via tunnel at once, is way too many, Especially with switching to/from Nassau St.

I would think (F) riders would be mad now too, because they're trains will become more crowded, either at Stillwell or 4 Av-9 St.

Zach

nah u right about the (F)(J)(M)(Q).

(R) cut back to 36 St.

(D)(N) via 4 Av Local

Zach

So I guess we may see the (D) split up again. Hmmm...

The only reason the I called for the (J)OR (M) to go to Brooklyn was to take slack for the (D). It would especially make sense for the (M) to head to Brooklyn since it is the West End Local during the week during rush hours. At least we're on the same page with the (N) and the (Q) operating via the tunnel and the (Q) going to Forest Hills during this time. But I agree with you, let's see what's ahead. But I know one thing, I'll definitely railfan during this G.O., especially since I have a new camera! :cool:

The only reason the I called for the (J)OR (M) to go to Brooklyn was to take slack for the (D). It would especially make sense for the (M) to head to Brooklyn since it is the West End Local during the week during rush hours. At least we're on the same page with the (N) and the (Q) operating via the tunnel and the (Q) going to Forest Hills during this time. But I agree with you, let's see what's ahead. But I know one thing, I'll definitely railfan during this G.O., especially since I have a new camera! :cool:

not even the (J). the (M) wouldve been fine enough, but still too many trains. (D) can run between Coney Island and either Pacific or 36 St then transfer to the (N) and take it to 34 St where uptown (D) will be available, (N) replaces the (R) between 59 St-4 Av and 59 St-Lex Av, (Q) replaces the (R) between DeKalb Av and Forest Hills, (R) runs between 59 St-4 Av and 95 St. it sucks to see the (D) split.

would it be bad if the (D) operates via the (F) line in both directions between Stillwell/Kings Highway and 205 St?...

OR...

on the (C) line between Euclid Av and West 4 St, then regular to 205 St and have a shuttle operate between Stillwell Av and Pacific St?

not even the (J). the (M) wouldve been fine enough, but still too many trains. (D) can run between Coney Island and either Pacific or 36 St then transfer to the (N) and take it to 34 St where uptown (D) will be available, (N) replaces the (R) between 59 St-4 Av and 59 St-Lex Av, (Q) replaces the (R) between DeKalb Av and Forest Hills, (R) runs between 59 St-4 Av and 95 St. it sucks to see the (D) split.

would it be bad if the (D) operates via the (F) line in both directions between Stillwell/Kings Highway and 205 St?...

OR...

on the (C) line between Euclid Av and West 4 St, then regular to 205 St and have a shuttle operate between Stillwell Av and Pacific St?

On weekends the Montague Street tunnel can handle three lines. (N), (Q) and (R) trains shared the tunnel when the bridge was out one way or both in the past. If the (M) cones into South Brooklyn, they can just cut back the (R).

It wouldn't be bad to see the (D) along the (F) again, but it still doesn't solve the problem that there is no service along the West End Line. The (C) wouldn't be a bad idea to take slack for the (D) as it used to run along the Concourse Line, but the (C) only operates during the daytime. If they did this, the (C) would most likely not run at night, and a shuttle train would have to run between the Bronx and 145th Street.

On weekends the Montague Street tunnel can handle three lines. (N), (Q) and (R) trains shared the tunnel when the bridge was out one way or both in the past. If the (M) cones into South Brooklyn, they can just cut back the (R).

yea but that still causes delays. no matter what, weather its a (N), a (Q) or a (M), it still causes delays.

It wouldn't be bad to see the (D) along the (F) again, but it still doesn't solve the problem that there is no service along the West End Line. The (C) wouldn't be a bad idea to take slack for the (D) as it used to run along the Concourse Line, but the (C) only operates during the daytime. If they did this, the (C) would most likely not run at night, and a shuttle train would have to run between the Bronx and 145th Street.

The (D) can operate from Coney Island to 205 St via the (F) line between Coney Island and West 4 St, then normal to 205.

Over the West End, a (D) Shuttle can operate between Coney Island and either Pacific St or 36 St. those needing 6 Av service can transfer from the Shuttle to the (N) at 36 St, and from the (N) to the (D)(F) at 9 St-4 Av (at (F)(G) Platform), or at 34 St Herald Sq.

We could see the (M) via West End, however, Id think they would run the (D) as much as they could in one segment before trying to extend the (M) into Brooklyn on weekends. I would think the (D) via Tunnel and Broadway Express would work, along with the (N) local, and an extended (Q) Local making all (R) stops between DeKalb & 71 Av's.

We could see the (M) via West End, however, Id think they would run the (D) as much as they could in one segment before trying to extend the (M) into Brooklyn on weekends. I would think the (D) via Tunnel and Broadway Express would work, along with the (N) local, and an extended (Q) Local making all (R) stops between DeKalb & 71 Av's.

yep

Severing the (R) would be a much better candidate then the (D). Think of it, you turn Northbound (D)s from Stillwell at 36 or Pacific St, then send passengers to the (N) to 34 St for an Uptown and Bronx (D), that's 3 trains. If they can have the 2 (D)s meet at 34 St, why not, only one transfer on the same lettered train just on a different trunk line coming from the south. If they make the (D), the old weekend (W) (present Stillwell Construction; West End/4 Av Local/Montague St, then via Broadway Express above Canal St to/from 42 St), why not? 2 Longer (D) segments is better then 1 half, and one shuttle. Cutting the (R) wouldn't be bad because it will be totally covered between the (N) & (Q).

Heck, if the (Q) is going to Queens, send the (D) Express to Midtown-57 St/7 Av! :cool::P

Single track the (R) between 95 & 59 Sts, or turn them at 36 St; (D) & (N)s run via 4 Av Local; ®s relay on the 4 Av Express Tracks above 36 Street.

Zachary

If this is weekends, I still would prefer they run the (W) to West End over the (M). At least then riders from West End would have a one seat ride to Midtown than to get off the (M) at 36th for the (N) or (R).

To ease congestion in the tunnel only the (Q),(R),(W) lines runs thru it.

(N): terminates at 59th-4th Av

(Q): some trains to go to Astoria if needed

Perhaps they'd use a variant of the 1995 pattern

(D) Norwood to 34th St Herald Square

(S) West 4th Street to Grand Street or just extend (D) down to Grand St.

(Q) Via Tunnel 57th St to Coney Island

(N) via Tunnel Astoria to Coney Island

(W) West End Shuttle

(:P No Service (Cant use it for West End since it doesnt normally run there)

Archived