MTA bus driver who hit FIT student had been suspended for texting

Harry

Police haven't charged NYC Transit driver Jeremy Philhower with wrongdoing in connection with 22-year-old Seth Kahn's death, and they don't believe texting was involved. But he wouldn't have been on the road at all if transit bosses had their way, sources said.

Philhower, 39, of Staten Island, was suspended weeks before the accident and the agency had begun disciplinary proceedings to fire him, sources said.

Investigators said he used his phone to post disparaging comments about his passengers to Facebook while on duty. Instead of firing him, an arbitrator ordered Philhower sent to driver safety and customer service training courses, sources said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/11/09/2009-11-09_driver_flunked_text_had_just_returned_to_bus_job_when_vehicle_killed_student.html

post-1-133288581144_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288581144_thumb.jpg

Wow this time that unfortunate accident could have been avoided.Terrible.And the twist was that he was texting negative comments about the passengers he was transporting.Now texting while driving should have heavier penalties than driving and texting in your car.He could have potentially been putting a crowded bus full of people in harms way.

The article states he was NOT texting while the incident happened. He had done it previously AND GOTTEN IN TROUBLE FOR IT. What a surprise...Yet another "nanny state" media overreaction to something that was a non factor and making a story out of nothing.

The dumbass kid should have watched where he was going before he stepped in front of a bus. It's not the driver's fault because he texted "previously on some other day while driving the bus" even though he was not texting when the incident happened.

Here we go again with the media spin, I sure hope this B/O has an umbrella policy on his insurance coverage, yes even though the accident wasn't his fault that isn't going to stop a lawsuit.

Sure they all go after the big pockets(MTA)but what do lawyers do? they go after anybody or everybody. Losing your job/career is bad enough but getting wiped out financially would be even worse. I know DOB2RTO said once that he has never heard of a B/O being sued individually while on the job doesn't mean that it can't ever happen.

Not one negative word about the pedestrian who was killed? Why is that?

The article states he was NOT texting while the incident happened. He had done it previously AND GOTTEN IN TROUBLE FOR IT. What a surprise...Yet another "nanny state" media overreaction to something that was a non factor and making a story out of nothing.

The dumbass kid should have watched where he was going before he stepped in front of a bus. It's not the driver's fault because he texted "previously on some other day while driving the bus" even though he was not texting when the incident happened.

(T)hank you (S)(G) The Media is like sharks they are waiting for any little thing to make (A) Blitz

I concur, he had all ready gotten in trouble for a previous incident. If he was not texting, then he did nothing wrong. People have to stop being so F'ing stupid and wanting the nanny state to look after them. When you cross a street, look out, protect your self or you get what you have coming.

"An eyewitness said Kahn was sprinting across Ninth Ave. when he was struck by the bus, which was turning left from W. 53rd St."

Too bad he won't learn his lesson and look both ways next time.

this is a lesson for all the soon to be bus operator in this forum its not that easy on the road you all ways have to be alert because things like this do happen and i feel sorry for the kids family and the bus operator his life will change now and mta will allways be watching him and waiting to hang him

this is a lesson for all the soon to be bus operator in this forum its not that easy on the road you all ways have to be alert because things like this do happen and i feel sorry for the kids family and the bus operator his life will change now and mta will allways be watching him and waiting to hang him

Something like this would be a soon to be B/O or a current B/O's worst nightmare. I know lately there have been a few fatal incidents but think about how many buses are out there day in and day out in NYC with a very densely population base.

Most B/O's will go through their entire career without a knockdown, minor accidents involving property damage only most likely yes. Sanitation trucks(city and private), private coach buses, tractor trailers, commercial vans, cars etc have all killed people before but when it happens all you see is a tiny 4-5 sentence article in the newspaper.

Update:

The bus driver who mowed down a Manhattan college student previously posted Facebook messages about killing, committing suicide and beating people, the Daily News has learned.

"Thinking about how many people I want to kill today, including myself," Jeremy Philhower wrote on the social networking site over the summer, sources said.

Apparently referring to passengers on his NYC Transit bus, Philhower also wrote, "I hate these people. I want to kick the s--t out of them. They're idiots," the sources said.

In yet another comment, Philhower sounds delusional, saying riders look to him as a deity driving a bus.

"They revere me as God," he wrote, the sources said. "Even though I hate them, they still love me."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/11/11/2009-11-11_bus_driver_who_mowed_down_student_had_wrote_rage_episode_on_facebook__sources_th.html#ixzz0WYlijJWA

it's sad to see or hear about something like this . he was not texting when he hit the guy who was running !! i don't know if he was off route but ether way he is going to have to live with something i wish , pray and hope i would never have to go through as a b/o . it's scary out there , when people jump in front of your bus with out looking . i think they expect the bus to stop on the dime because it says mta .

i feel for both families in this time of hurt and sorrow !! god bless every one and lets be safe !!

I guess the Bus Operator Philhower is mentally ill. Why he do this to his customers? Why would he do something bad to peds on the street? He is the Bus Operator, came on this job to serve his fellow citizens. If he cannot operate his mind correctly, then he is obviously mentally ill.

Not at all. Reading some of the narcissistic comments on Facebook these are just people airing grievances in colorful ways so that their friends will be entertained.

That's like someone saying "God I hate these old people on Park Avenue, I just wish someone would shoot them" (perfectly reasonable feelings in the context I explained above)...well then if they happen to get into a car accident where the victim is an old person who happens to live on Park Avenue, then our beloved biased media will make it out to be some kind of planned crime where the person "premeditated" to "hand pick" the victim as a "target".

The media is no longer a reliable source of information in this country anymore. They no longer report facts, they spin them.

Cops will ticket a bus driver who mowed down a college student on his first day back from a suspension for texting while driving, police said Wednesday.

well that about wraps it up for this guy.......so much media attention to this.......

Archived