Why can't TA sack a bus driver who says he wants to kill?

Harry

alg_jeremy_philhower.jpg

A question of life and death:

How bizarre and dangerous can a bus driver's behavior be before he can be fired?

It was bad enough the Transit Authority couldn't sack bus driver Jeremy Philhower for text-messaging while operating a 40-foot bus with passengers onboard in midtown traffic.

Now it turns out Philhower wrote on his Facebook page that he wanted to kill people and kill himself. Then he drove a bus that actually did kill a young man who ran into the street.

And it is far from clear the TA can keep him from reclaiming his spot behind the wheel if the fatal incident remains classified as an accident.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/2009/11/12/2009-11-12_a_question_of_life_and_death_why_cant_ta_sack_a_bus_driver_who_says_he_wants_to_.html#ixzz0WeTE0QLU

If the guy has suicidal tendencies, and homicidal tendencies, he needs to get himself admitted for counseling and get suspended for a year without pay. It's only fair for himself and the family of the victim killed.

we have protection by our union and some people may like it and some may not this guy was wrong but he has his own opinion and thats part of his civil rights and that what makes the USA so great.

So are you saying that he is going to get support because he killed somebody?:confused:

The way I see it its all a gray area. They got him for texting which Punishment can be harsh but its doesn't lead to Termination. The TA in most cases start at Termination/demotion/30 days suspended then go lower.

The last incident where a Young man was killed it was said he ran into traffic and the Bus got him so I won't be fast to blame him for the death. It looks like the guy was just Young and Supid and got killed. WE all may have done stuff like that but was lucky this guy wasn't.

It is desurbing about what he wrote in facebook but can they get him for that is the question. That can be argued as freedom of speech and maybe a private issue pended how they found out about it.

In any case everyone got to let the investigation take its cause. If they can prove wrong doing then he will be out of a job and if not he may be driving a bus again.

The way I see it its all a gray area. They got him for texting which Punishment can be harsh but its doesn't lead to Termination. The TA in most cases start at Termination/demotion/30 days suspended then go lower.

The last incident where a Young man was killed it was said he ran into traffic and the Bus got him so I won't be fast to blame him for the death. It looks like the guy was just Young and Supid and got killed. WE all may have done stuff like that but was lucky this guy wasn't.

It is desurbing about what he wrote in facebook but can they get him for that is the question. That can be argued as freedom of speech and maybe a private issue pended how they found out about it.

In any case everyone got to let the investigation take its cause. If they can prove wrong doing then he will be out of a job and if not he may be driving a bus again.

Why even entertain a bunch of teenagers who stalk buses and then cannot understand the kid ran in front of the bus..they driver did not aim for him!

I had these bus bunnies with their cameras stop dead in the middle of Main and Roosevelt to take a pic of a bus so they can post it on a website and beg for it to be commented on!!

oh when i worked for ford at a car dealership parking cars i had lots of customers that r stuburn and argue with u me i don`t care what dumb or stupid comment they say. I go in the corner and laugh about it i don`t let people get to me that the key fact don`t let people get to u there were times were i was treated like shit i just laughed it off

A couple of things to remember:

1. The person ran out into THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET WITHOUT LOOKING BOTH WAYS. It's his own fault he's dead, not the bus driver's.

2. People saying they want to kill others is quite normal. You ever see "12 Angry Men?" It's a way of venting. There are days on the ambulance where after dealing with stupid people, I tell my friends that I believe the human race should be exterminated. Does that mean I'm homicidal?

3. Working in a job that deals with the public breaks you, because you realize that people, as a whole, suck. Being treated like shit for hours on end will jade your view.

People may not like what I said, but there is truth to it. After all, we're only human and can only tolerate people for so long.

(V)ery (W)ell put :tup:

1. The person ran out into THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET WITHOUT LOOKING BOTH WAYS. It's his own fault he's dead, not the bus driver's.

2. People saying they want to kill others is quite normal. You ever see "12 Angry Men?" It's a way of venting. There are days on the ambulance where after dealing with stupid people, I tell my friends that I believe the human race should be exterminated. Does that mean I'm homicidal?

3. Working in a job that deals with the public breaks you, because you realize that people, as a whole, suck. Being treated like shit for hours on end will jade your view.

People may not like what I said, but there is truth to it. After all, we're only human and can only tolerate people for so long.

Where's your thank you button? you hit it right on the money. As a station agent I deal people that get on my nerves every single day. And I too wish sometimes I could smack the shit out of some one sometimes but does not make me crazy either.

Why even entertain a bunch of teenagers who stalk buses and then cannot understand the kid ran in front of the bus..they driver did not aim for him!

I had these bus bunnies with their cameras stop dead in the middle of Main and Roosevelt to take a pic of a bus so they can post it on a website and beg for it to be commented on!!

Bus Bunnies??? WTF, that sh!t is truly funny. Now they had to be brazen to be be in the middle of Main n Roosevelt. I don't want to cross that intersection, less than stand in the middle of it. Guess they wanted an upclose shot of buses, and what's better than getting b!tch smacked by one while your camera is rolling. They would possibly beg for someone to post the pics and video, as their dying last words.........

Where's your thank you button? you hit it right on the money. As a station agent I deal people that get on my nerves every single day. And I too wish sometimes I could smack the shit out of some one sometimes but does not make me crazy either.

You don't know how many times I would have loved to put a bus into a crowded bus stop. I though I was losing it, until I heard a B/O who was shifting due to being assaulted, say the same thing, before I said anything. I turned to them, and said I though I was the only one with those thoughts......

You are 1000% correct on this one. Dealing with the public, has turned me from the kind person I use to be, into....well one of those who I use to and still deal with. Especially those that say, I don't know why you all need a raise while your system sucks, in a nasty manner, like I want to get the train their late.............

You are 1000% correct on this one. Dealing with the public, has turned me from the kind person I use to be, into....well one of those who I use to and still deal with. Especially those that say, I don't know why you all need a raise while your system sucks, in a nasty manner, like I want to get the train their late.............
you're cool in my book. :tup:

So are you saying that he is going to get support because he killed somebody?:confused:

freedom of speech we all have this right and also he is a union member right or wrong he will have our support and just so you know you should read the story and get the facts first he was not at fault the kid ran in the street common to see as a bus operator

Okay, he can think all he wants, but not when he is responsible for the lives of around 100 other people. Those who think he did nothing wrong, go ride his bus yourselves when he crashes.

Look, we can think and say all we want about this dude and this incident. But the fact remains that none of us was there. And from witnesses accounts the kid ran into the path of the bus and caused his own death bottom line. Yes this driver has some issues that's not denied. But none of that had anything to do with him hitting a pedestrian who was not paying attention to traffic and was trying to beat the light. And also people let's not forget this is the dailynews we have reporting this story, we have no idea how true any of what they said about this guy and story is reality. The Dailynews, and The Post love to write horror stories about the MTA and MTA employees.

Look, we can think and say all we want about this dude and this incident. But the fact remains that none of us was there. And from witnesses accounts the kid ran into the path of the bus and caused his own death bottom line. Yes this driver has some issues that's not denied. But none of that had anything to do with him hitting a pedestrian who was not paying attention to traffic and was trying to beat the light. And also people let's not forget this is the dailynews we have reporting this story, we have no idea how true any of what they said about this guy and story is reality. The Dailynews, and The Post love to write horror stories about the MTA and MTA employees.
Agreed i was on my Colleague's Bus and tha light had just changed in our favor this guy was on tha phone and blatantly tried to run across tha street so he had to lay on tha horn now mind you if he would have gone whatever was on tha right side of tha bus would have nailed tha guy

only in New York

Archived