Holiday Nostalgia Press Release

Sea Beach

Its finally out!

MTA New York City Transit's Holiday Nostalgia Shoppers' Special Rolls Again

Vintage IND train hits the tracks on Sundays during the holiday season

We all know that using the subway is the most efficient and economical way to get around town, but if you are looking for another great reason to ride the train on Sundays in December, try this: Hop on board the 1930s-era Nostalgia Shoppers' Special, which will run along the V Line between Long Island City, Queens and Lower Manhattan.

"With a little bit of luck and good timing, riders will be able to catch a ride on this classic subway train at stations along the V line between Queens Plaza and Second Avenue." said Steven Feil, MTA New York City Transit's Senior Vice President of the Department of Subways.

The Nostalgia Shoppers' Special is made up of subway cars in service from the 1930s to the 1970s, running along the lettered lines from the Grand Concourse to Coney Island. Ceiling fans, padded seats and incandescent light bulbs were state-of-the-art when these cars were first placed in service.

The cars were removed from service 30 years ago and replaced by the stainless steel, climate-controlled trains that our customers have become accustomed to. Many subway riders have never experienced the charm of wicker seats and ceiling fans, but they are back for four Sundays of service, beginning Sunday, December 6. The holiday "Nostalgia Shoppers' Special" will operate on Sundays only, between the hours of 10 a.m. and 5 p.m., on December 6, 13, 20 and 27.

New Yorkers bear fond memories of these cars, many of which are usually housed at the New York Transit Museum in Brooklyn Heights where they have honored positions as static displays reflecting a time before automated voice announcements, air conditioning or bright fluorescent lighting. Of course, you can always catch more vintage trains on display there.

And, don't forget, the Annual Holiday Train Show at the Museum's Gallery Annex at Grand Central Terminal featuring a working layout and a selection of vintage model trains dating from the 1800's. The layout, which this year features Lionel's brand new MTA LIRR's M7 cars, will be on view now through January 18, 2010. For hours and directions, please call 212-878-0106.

NOSTALGIA TRAIN HIGHLIGHTS:

Car No. 100 – Manufactured by American Car and Foundry, this R1-type car was the first car in the initial order of 300 cars placed in service for the opening of the IND subway.

Car No. 484 – Part of a 500-car order of R4 cars manufactured by American Car & Foundry. In 1946, this car received a retrofit of bulls-eye lighting and a public address system.

Car No. 1575 – Originally manufactured as an R7, this car was involved in a wreck in 1946. Sent to the American Car & Foundry factory the car was rebuilt as prototype of the next generation R10 subway car.

http://mta.info/mta/news/releases/?en=091203-NYCT195a

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Departure times:

From Lower East Side 2 Av station on the V line at 10 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 1 p.m., 2:30 p.m.

and 4 p.m.

From Queens Plaza station at 10:45 a.m., 12:15 p.m., 1:45 p.m., 3:15 p.m. and 4:45pm.

Queens Plaza

23 St-Ely Av

Lexington Av/53 St

5 Av/53 St

47-50 Sts Rockefeller Center

42 St Bryant Park

34 St Herald Sq

23 St (6 Av)

14 St (6 Av)

W 4 St Wash Sq

B’way-Lafayette St

Lower East Side 2 Av

http://mta.info/nyct/service/events/nostalgia.htm

Knew about it weeks ago, but glad to see it's "official".

Funny how that works isn't it ;):cool:

By the way I know we "posted" about a "something extra" bonus that might happen at some point during this holiday season. While we are on the subject of museum runs, I regret to inform you all that it has been cancelled, but like I said when I posted that, it was "subject to change because this is RTO". That said, the cancellation of the something extra too is "subject to change because this is RTO" so maybe it will and you'll all be in for a treat, but I wouldn't hold my breath. So in the meantime enjoy the Arnines since that is what is scheduled to run, they really are great cars, and you can look forward to an 8 car train this holiday season.

I'm gonna make it for the first round trip before I head to school, so if you see someone with a skateboard, that's me!!! Lol

Ill catch u there if im around! Hit me up on fb of course

But damn it! The (V) again :P.......................... I hope someday the TOMC returns! Not as special tour but as holiday tour!

I am hoping to ride with but only got this weekend or Next. Starting Dec 20 I be working on Sunday Mornings on the (6) Line.

Well, I hope you have fun on the Arnines, ridding them has to be my favorite thing about the subway with the Low-Vs coming in second.

As for going to the IRT, have fun with that. How long is the refresher course?

Btw why does this page says it Starts Nov 30?

http://mta.info/nyct/service/events/nostalgia.htm

Do they mean Nov 29 it started? I thought it wasn't running in late Nov?

It didn't start yet...it starts December 6th and the reason it didn't start November 29th b/c of a G/O sending the (F) via (E) line!

It didn't start yet...it starts December 6th and the reason it didn't start November 29th b/c of a G/O sending the (F) via (E) line!

Oh so that explains.. To bad it couldn't run on the 8th Ave Line for that weekend.. Thx

The train is still running with a G.O This weekend Downtown (F) are running on the (V) Line.

Ya but that G/o shouldn't cause a problem to it, unless the (F) was running on the 8th Ave line to 50th St and via the 53/QBL line to Jackson Hts

Archived