Roosevelt Avenue/74th Street as an express stop?

Trackworker

Great photos of the work you guys do.

One question, how are the Pandrol clips installed? Is there a special tool used or do you they just put them in place and hammer them in? I've seen a machine thats used to install/remove them, is that what you guys use?

We do it the old fashion way unfortunately, this is where they separate the men from the boys. The Sledge hammer...Trackmen call it "The Jerry" why the name I don't know.

Those are heavey duty pandrol clips, in the future I'll take pictures of the different types of clips we use.

cool pics thanks for posting. those rotten ties look really bad. have any ties rotted enough to actually break off?

I have yet to see a person step on them and break.

We pick up a section of ties (panel) and it just blew up so to speak. The old ties came apart and flew everywhere almost hitting the RTO in the face.

Great Shots man! So new crossovers are being placed around 74th St, so maybe it would become a terminal if needed?

That's what it looks like, but you never know what's on the MTA's mind.

It would make sense to me

Under Flushing line resignaling contract S-32716, these crossovers between 61th and 69th Street will be removed and new crossovers will be installed on either side of Roosevelt Avenue/74th Street, which will allow express service to stop at this busy transfer station.

Thanks for posting.

Wow man! Do you want to trade jobs? Probably not, but in case you change your mind you can contact me thru here.

You look like you're really enjoying your job and that's what its all about. I wish you the best of luck with your new career. The MTA should be glad to have you working for them.

Thanks for posting.

Wow man! Do you want to trade jobs? Probably not, but in case you change your mind you can contact me thru here.

You look like you're really enjoying your job and that's what its all about. I wish you the best of luck with your new career. The MTA should be glad to have you working for them.

I love it! I really wanted to play Baseball when I was a kid but as I got older working for the MTA was more of a realtiy. B)

So far so good, they like my work ethic..I work hard.

Was is it you do anyway?

It's a nice area, pretty quiet and close to everything. I'm 2 blocks away from the (6).

Yeah, that's what I like about it. The area does have a bit of a bad reputation, thanks to the economic state of that part of the Bronx 25 years ago. It's nothing like what most non-New Yorkers picture it to be. A lot of newly-built private homes and small, twelve- to twenty-occupancy cooperative apartments. Best thing is that it's got two train lines (with a third, the (6), only three blocks away at Hunts Point), plus five buses that go to practically any other part of the Bronx. And you can get just about anything on the Southern Boulevard shopping strip.

I was born in the Bronx, move back in 1970 to Queens.

Bounced around a bit and then moved back to the Bronx in 1994.

I was born in Washington Heights, but I've lived in the Bronx since 1992.

Some parts are really bad but you do find some good places in the Bronx.

Yeah, most of the neighborhoods are in far better condition now than they were in the 1970's and 1980's. Still, the area around 167th between the Concourse and Prospect has never fully recovered. It's still very run-down, with abandoned buildings and broken sidewalks all over. Not to mention the drug problems in that area.

Its about time they're doing this at 74th.

But this will defiantely kick the MTA in the *** later with even more congestion on the (7). But is it even official yet that they'll make 74th Street a definite express stop? I know that was the plan a while back but heard they changed it up abit.

Hopefully its only selected (7x) trains to make the 74th Street stop if thats the case or at least be smart and not hold a local train and just send the express straight through without stopping there.

Archived