"M" train idea. Run it between Chambers and Bay Pwy rush hours only

Shortline Bus

Guys i thought of a great idea. If the (V) and (M) proposed merger occurs with the current 2010 (MTA) doomesday cuts/service changes i have a great idea that should not cost the agency that much money?

What about running the (M) between Chambers St-Brooklyn Bridge station on the (J) Line and either Bay Parkway on the (D) line or 95th St/Bay Parkway on the (R) rush hours only?

I remember during the Williamsburg Bridge shutdown over a decade ago around 1998/99, the (M)'s from Southern Brooklyn terminated at Chambers and i think there still CROSSOVER Tracks between the Chambers and Canal St stations as well.

Here the advantages.

1)Keeps two subway lines running on the busy 4th Ave/Brooklyn subway line during rush hours.

2)Backup for the (R) which stands for rarely lol in Brooklyn during peak hours.

Also back up for the (2)(3)(4)(5) between Lower Manhattan and Downtown Brooklyn.

3)If it ran to Bay Ridge-95th Street, you can have few ®'s during the rush start/terminate at Whitehall if the (W) is canned.

4)Could use the remaining R32's and R42's for next couple of years until they are retired for this small fleet of trains.

5)Maintains Nassau St/Williamsburg connection with the (J) line as well.

6)Should be cheaper than maintaining the (W) line since it could use either the Coney Island or East NY yards as well.

Any reactions/comment guys?:confused:

That can work to since its a rush hour line,and the (M) goes to Bay Pkwy rush hours only.

I was thinking about this exact level of service. Put aside the idea of trying to save costs for a minute. Having the m/v merger is beneficial to many. They could either extend the J or the Z, or provide a train that just runs from Chambers to South Brooklyn. Personally, i don't think there is any need to have a train from South Brooklyn go any further "north" than Chambers. Many people transfer here for the IRT and those who want to continue towards North Brooklyn could simply make an across platform transfer.

I was thinking about this exact level of service. Put aside the idea of trying to save costs for a minute. Having the m/v merger is beneficial to many. They could either extend the J or the Z, or provide a train that just runs from Chambers to South Brooklyn. Personally, i don't think there is any need to have a train from South Brooklyn go any further "north" than Chambers. Many people transfer here for the IRT and those who want to continue towards North Brooklyn could simply make an across platform transfer.

Well,for the West End (D) you really dont need (J)(M)(Z) for that line,its the 4th Ave line that Nassau St/4 Ave riders want. The (M) right now always emptys out at 36 St,from there on out going to Bay Pkwy its usually empty. So it can go to 9th Ave instead of Bay Pkwy like it did years ago.

The best thing to do to keep the (M) is to re-designate the (Z) as (M).

By doing that, that means the (V) and and (M) will head to Metropalitan Ave, and there will be no Skip Stop Service. If its for the (M) to go to Jamaica, then there is no point of changing the (Z) to (M).

Also.. is the (Z) skip stop still staying even with (M)(V) combo or its being eliminated?

Great point. I did thought proposing that the (Z) be extended to Bay Pway or Bay Ridge but it would be a very long route even going express between Marcy and Bway Junction and thus reason i proposed a separte Bay Pway-Chambers route. This line would run every 15 minutes or so and maybe only 4-5 train crews needed.

any other comments?

By doing that, that means the (V) and and (M) will head to Metropalitan Ave, and there will be no Skip Stop Service. If its for the (M) to go to Jamaica, then there is no point of changing the (Z) to (M).

Also.. is the (Z) skip stop still staying even with (M)(V) combo or its being eliminated?

The (Z) is staying as of the latest news from the MTA.

Great point. I did thought proposing that the (Z) be extended to Bay Pway or Bay Ridge but it would be a very long route even going express between Marcy and Bway Junction and thus reason i proposed a separte Bay Pway-Chambers route. This line would run every 15 minutes or so and maybe only 4-5 train crews needed.

any other comments?

sounds like a cool idea.

And since some (Z)'s originate/terminate at Bway junction as put-ins/outs, it really wont be that long of a route overall would it?

Restoring the (M) as a rush hour special to the South would be the logical thing to do whenever there money situation is over, and they begin increasing service again.

Before they (M)(V) idea became serious and the idea was to just cut the (M) to Broad and cut the (Z) completely, I was saying the (Z) could then over the South special whenever service was restored.

I'd be in favor of retaining the (M) from south Brooklyn to Chambers during rush hours from 9th Avenue or 95th Street to supplement the (R) on the 4th Avenue local tracks. That's where it's needed most, I think. I also think CI would be the best place to base the service out of (using former (W) crews).

I don't think terminating the M at Chambers is such a good idea as it will be holding up J/Z service. Chambers can really turn trains coming in from the north of the station, not from the south.

Sad to say, the M is dead. However, if the W is also cut, they could run the W from Bay Pkwy to Whitehall if more Brooklyn-Lower Manhattan service is needed.

When the money and ridership situations warrant, the (MTA) should run the (Z) between B'way Junction and Bay Ridge/95 St. during rush hours to supplement the (R) in Brooklyn and make the (J) non-stop express between Myrtle and B'way Junction (peak direction), then all stops to/from Jamaica Center.

Archived