Yet another R179 design

The R179 is a New York City Subway car which has not been built or even fully designed at the time of this posting, and so this is my take on what I hope they will look like. The cars are in permanently married 4-car "ABBA" sets. "ABBA" denotes the configuration of the cars, indicating that there is one "A" car or cab car on each end of the set, with two "B" cars or cabless cars in between. Cars are stainless steel with a black "raccoon mask" similar to that on Bee-Line Buses and a blue metal stripe running the length of the car to denote MTA ownership. All cars feature reduced-bucket seats similar to those on the PA5, done in bright blue, with extensive wood paneling on the inside. The front is a bit different from prior models and is based on the M8, with the headlight left as such on the SIR order and converted to a route indicator similar to that on the R160s on the R179MLs.

Lighting on the inside is NTT-style, and the cars are equipped with R160-style interior announcement displays and FINDs. All electronic displays include tricolor LEDs capable of displaying up to 255 colors, and the color used on the front, side, and interior announcement signs is the color of the line on the official MTA subway map. B cars seat 82 people and measure 75' from back wall to back wall, 75' 10" over the overhangs. A cars seat 78, measure 75' 2" from back wall to back wall, 75' 10" over the overhangs, and have full-width cabs with nonpolarized railfan windows.

The A car cabs, located on the #1 end of the A car, are similar to those of the R110A in controller design. Control is single-handle, with eight brake and six power notches and a maximum acceleration of 4.2 m/s/s. Much of the passenger interface technology is controlled via a 9-inch by 9-inch touch screen, and indicator lights note position of the doors. Cabs are partially mirrored, with two consoles available for use. The console on the right contains complete train controls as well as the cab intercom and other passenger interface technology. The console on the left is somewhat stripped down, containing only throttle, brakes, touch screen, A/C, lighting, and door controls. It is possible during training periods to put a TSS or experienced operator in the cab while a student operates and simply have the experienced operator override the other console if a problem should come up. Propulsion is R160B-style Siemens motors, with a maximum speed of 85 mph. Below are some photos. First, we have a 4-car set on a blank background after being completed:

R179FrontDay.jpg

R179SideDay.jpg

R179CabEndFarDay.jpg

R179CabEndCloseDay.jpg

R1792EndFarDay.jpg

R1792EndCloseDay.jpg

R179MainCabConsoleDay.jpg

R179AuxiliaryCabConsoleDay.jpg

R179FrontSignCLoseDay.jpg

R179SideSignCloseDay.jpg

R179InteriorSignCLoseDay.jpg

Now for the night shots:

R179FrontNight.jpg

R179SideNight.jpg

R179InteriorNight.jpg

I have also been building a fantasy railway based on the SIR, and so I placed the R179 set on the rails and took some shots for you. Even though the railway is based on SIR, the set is of R179MLs signed up as the (A) to Far Rock, so please excuse the incongruity.

Here is the train on the express track approaching the interlock at Arthur Kill Rd:

R179SetApproachingArKillRd.jpg

Clearing the crossover and entering the station:

R179SetEnteringArKillRd.jpg

Halfway in:

R179SetHalfIntoArKillRd.jpg

Laying over with both sets of doors open:

R179SetLayingOverAtArKillRd.jpg

Leaving:

R179SetLeavingArKillRd.jpg

Getting to the bridge:

R179SetHittingBridge.jpg

On the bridge:

R179SetOnBridge.jpg

Blowing through Richmond Valley:

R179SetBlowingThruLocalStation.jpg

R179SetLeavingLocalStation.jpg

Railfan window views:

At the interlock:

NewR179SetRFWAtInterlock.jpg

Halfway into Arthur Kill Rd:

R179SetFanningHalfIntoArKillRd.jpg

At Arthur Kill Rd:

R179SetFanningAtArKillRd1.jpg

At the bridge:

R179SetFanningBeforeBridge.jpg

On the bridge:

R179SetFanningOnBridge.jpg

At Richmond Valley:

R179SetFanningThruLocalStation.jpg

Finally, some bonus shots for all of you TTC fans here (Note: the Gloucesters are NOT mine; they were created and placed on the Internet by wyliepoon.)

R179SetWithGloucesterSetAtArKillRd.jpg

R179SetWithGloucesterSetAtArKillRd4.jpg

R179SetWithGloucesterSetAtArKillRd2.jpg

R179SetWithGloucesterSetAtArKillRd3.jpg

Feedback would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone would like to get individual cars, an ABBA set, or an 8-car consist PM me and I will happily oblige.

The double control serves a dual purpose; in the event of a malfunction on the main console the M/M can switch to the other console and thus avoid taking the train OOS or sending the conductor up front to spot and doing a train sectionalization. Also, when trainees and rookies first go out on the rails, the second console functions like the second steering wheel and brake system on a driver's ed wheel, allowing anyone who wishes to supervise the ability to override the rookie's console in case of emergency or misstep. As for the position of the throttle, I didn't think of that. Thanks. Also, to NX Express, the idea was to make the colors possible, not required so that if blue, brown, etc. did not display well, the C/R could choose sky blue instead of regular blue for 8 Av and orange instead of brown for (J)(M)(Z) operation. However, I don't think we would be seeing much of this car on the Eastern Div considering that it's a 75-footer.

Thanks, guys! The interior would not actually be that dim; SketchUp is really good in a lot of ways but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to make it understand interior lighting. Ideally, the lighting would be similar in intensity and coloration to the lighting on the interior of the R160 and be dimmable for long non-stop trips. If anyone has any tips on how to get lighting in SketchUp to actually illuminate a car, please tell me (No sarcasm intended, just a bit of frustration).

The double control serves a dual purpose; in the event of a malfunction on the main console the M/M can switch to the other console and thus avoid taking the train OOS or sending the conductor up front to spot and doing a train sectionalization. Also, when trainees and rookies first go out on the rails, the second console functions like the second steering wheel and brake system on a driver's ed wheel, allowing anyone who wishes to supervise the ability to override the rookie's console in case of emergency or misstep. As for the position of the throttle, I didn't think of that. Thanks. Also, to NX Express, the idea was to make the colors possible, not required so that if blue, brown, etc. did not display well, the C/R could choose sky blue instead of regular blue for 8 Av and orange instead of brown for (J)(M)(Z) operation. However, I don't think we would be seeing much of this car on the Eastern Div considering that it's a 75-footer.

Foamers would think that they just went through the Chrystie Street Connection!

Archived