QM1/QM1A/QM24 Redesignation

Amtrak7

What we have dreamed for for a while is actually happening!!!! The routes will be renumbered as follows:

QM1 Fresh Meadows-Midtown

QM5 Glen Oaks-Midtown

QM6 Lake Success-Midtown

QM7 Fresh Meadows-Downtown

QM8 Glen Oaks-Downtown

QM24: Glendale-Midtown

QM25: Glendale-Downtown

Implementation date: June

B82 LTD (peak) and Q58 LTD (7 DAY!!!) is also happening, implementation in Fall 2010.

http://mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/100524_1000_BUS.pdf

Acrobat Page 47-End

If I was in charge, this is what I would do:

Glen Oaks Midtown/Downtown would become the QM1.

Lake Success would become the QM5

Either discontinue the Fresh Meadows and reroute the QM1, or name it the QM6.

Separating Midtown/Downtown is a waste and just creates more clutter on maps, on signs, and on buses. QM24 should stay as is. QM10/11 have slightly different routings in Queens, so that should stay.

Could a mod please merge all the topics about the service changes proposed at the MTA May Committee meetings? (this, Q58, and B82)

hylan blvd all over again....

they want to simplify the express bus network on hylan by getting rid of the x6... but they're splitting the Qm1/a into 5 separate routes? there's my wtf moment for the day.....

They should simplify Hylan Boulevard by cutting another express route...all they need is seven and not nine...and not even eight. Then they should add a few more runs to the X1 with some of the leftover buses and re-designate them X1-X7. Four buses serve ETC and the other three serve New Dorp.

Finally! Now I will go a step further and say that the NYCT express bus routes should be redesignated like MTA Bus express routes (i.e., X1 would be SM1, the X63 would be QM26, the X27 would become the BM6, etc.)

This will also make it a helluva lot easier for customers to figure out where their bus is going without having to look at the schedule.

I think that's a moot point since most express bus riders are usually loyal to one (or two routes). When I used to ride the X63, riders on Merrick Blvd would call it "the Manhattan bus". They knew where the X63 was heading to and when it ran.

Uniformity my man...uniformity.

The other way to me would have been to put the number before the letter (i.e., 1Q, 1S, 1Bx, etc.)

What we have dreamed for for a while is actually happening!!!! The routes will be renumbered as follows:

QM1 Fresh Meadows-Midtown

QM5 Glen Oaks-Midtown

QM6 Lake Success-Midtown

QM7 Fresh Meadows-Downtown

QM8 Glen Oaks-Downtown

QM24: Glendale-Midtown

QM25: Glendale-Downtown

Implementation date: June

B82 LTD (peak) and Q58 LTD (7 DAY!!!) is also happening, implementation in Fall 2010.

http://mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/100524_1000_BUS.pdf

Acrobat Page 47-End

QM7 & 8...QM25?!?!!? What the ****?!?!?!? As much as I would agree to things being more interesting... I dont like this at all! Battery Park/Downtown Manhattan wont be the same with those redesignations. I understand its for organization and uniformity but jesus christ, Downtown just wont be the same.....

Here's something I just noticed, why did they not change the QM2A?!?!

QM7 & 8...QM25?!?!!? What the ****?!?!?!? As much as I would agree to things being more interesting... I dont like this at all! Battery Park/Downtown Manhattan wont be the same with those redesignations. I understand its for organization and uniformity but jesus christ, Downtown just wont be the same.....

Or the BxM7A for that matter

Finally! Now I will go a step further and say that the NYCT express bus routes should be redesignated like MTA Bus express routes (i.e., X1 would be SM1, the X63 would be QM26, the X27 would become the BM6, etc.)

This will also make it a helluva lot easier for customers to figure out where their bus is going without having to look at the schedule.

Ooo you mean the SiM1 I don't like the (MTA) Bus Prefix I like the X Prefix Better and Queens definitely have a whole lot of numbers they could use

I think this should be done with all of the NYCT express bus routes except for the ones out of Staten Island. Since most of the NYCT express buses are out of Staten Island anyway it makes more sense just to give Staten Island the 'X' designation, and it rolls off the tongue better too. X1 sounds much better than SM1 or SIM1.

Ooo you mean the SiM1 I don't like the (MTA) Bus Prefix I like the X Prefix Better and Queens definitely have a whole lot of numbers they could use

Yeah, but the (MTA) bus designations make it easier to understand which buses go where. We could have the buses in all five boroughs under one numbering system but it would be hard to remember the numbers of each bus route. Keeping them separate is a good idea but I agree that it should be under one system ((MTA) Bus and X for Staten Island), instead of both NYCT and (MTA) bus express bus route numbering systems.

As for the renumbering, I think the QM5 should stay the QM1. The current QM1 is basically a short turn of the QM1A Glen Oaks branch (QM5). I don't really have anything against the different numbers for Midtown/Downtown branches though it does seem redundant. It seems fine as it is (i.e. no separation, read the sign when the bus comes). I do agree that it's a good idea to rename the Lake Success branch though.

Great find here!!!! I am confused, though- On one hand, they label the changes as "recommendations", not definite changes, yet also give an implementation date. Any (MTA) officials here know how serious these suggestions/reports are?

Also, seriously? cost neutral? Changing all of the signs and maps in Queens and Manhattan to accommodate all of these new route numbers will cost thousands of dollars! I take the QM1/A every weekday, and there are few, if any, riders that actually get confused by the different routes. The scrolling LED makes the bus's destination crystal clear to all. These changes will actually confuse the veteran riders, since most people have taken the same route to work every day since the (Q)ueens (S)urface days.

Still, I'm sure this will give Knightrider some fun new pictures to take lol.

I don't think the Fresh Meadows buses need a separate designation. They're basically short turns of the Glen Oaks buses.

Actually it's the other way around,Glen Oaks and North Shore Towers are extensions of Fresh Meadows. There used to be Windsor Parks buses back in the 70s when I used to go to work with my Dad. They went up into the apartments off of 73rd ave and 213th st. By the time I started at Steinway Transit they were gone and Glen Oaks was the final destination. There were buses that terminated at Chevy Chase St and we had buses starting at 260th st on Union Turnpike going to NYC.

[quote name=

Can you say elimination and consolidation boys and girls? They already cover the Mitchell Gardens portion of the QM2A with the QM2 on Saturday and Sunday.

If I was in charge, this is what I would do:

Glen Oaks Midtown/Downtown would become the QM1.

Lake Success would become the QM5

Either discontinue the Fresh Meadows and reroute the QM1, or name it the QM6.

Separating Midtown/Downtown is a waste and just creates more clutter on maps, on signs, and on buses. QM24 should stay as is. QM10/11 have slightly different routings in Queens, so that should stay.

Could a mod please merge all the topics about the service changes proposed at the MTA May Committee meetings? (this, Q58, and B82)

I agree the QM24W should not be changed as all QM24 buses serve the same route in Queens. It is a different story with the QM1/QM1A routes. If a different designation is to be used for the QM24W, then consistency says different #'s should be used for all Queens Express routes that serve both 3rd Ave and 6th Ave/8th Ave. As an aside, I was not in New York when the QM24 started service in 1989. Why was service put on 8th Ave and not 6th? Was 6th Ave thought to be too clogged with Express Routes? the QM22 which I believe started at the same time served 6th Ave?

I agree the QM24W should not be changed as all QM24 buses serve the same route in Queens. It is a different story with the QM1/QM1A routes. If a different designation is to be used for the QM24W, then consistency says different #'s should be used for all Queens Express routes that serve both 3rd Ave and 6th Ave/8th Ave. As an aside, I was not in New York when the QM24 started service in 1989. Why was service put on 8th Ave and not 6th? Was 6th Ave thought to be too clogged with Express Routes? the QM22 which I believe started at the same time served 6th Ave?

The QM22 and QM24 started in 1988

Queens IS part of NYC, and has been for the past 112 years. For whatever reason, some folks still don't accept that. :D

Probably Stigma, I guess.....

If you were to ask a Queens resident where he/she lives, you're less likely to hear them say "Queens"; rather, they'll specify the neighborhood they live in.... Just like anyone from Nassau or Suffolk would.... I don't think I heard anyone say they're from Nassau County or Suffolk County....

Guess a lot of the older Queens residents still feel an attachment to Nassau/Suffolk (I won't say Long Island) moreso than they do "the city" (god how I hate that term)....

^^ (Manhattanites don't really say they from Manhattan either, but stigma has nothin to do w/ it)

....Whereas a Brooklynite, a Bronxite, or an Staten Islander is more apt to tell you what borough they're from, first, before they tell you what neighborhood they're in....

If they do anything with the QM24, they should merge it with the QM15, and then run something else along Eliot. That way, it can exit the Expwy around 61st St. and then go straight to Fresh Pond, instead of going out of the way to Rego Park first. It would then keep going along Myrtle to Woodhaven, and pick up the 15 route, which would replace the riders lost by cutting out the Eliot section.

So it would be the QM15 rerouted off of Woodhaven north of Myrtle.

Also; I wonder what is holding up them redesignating the express reoutes to all one system (The DOT style makes more sense to me as well). They're doing all these other changes, including route numbers. It's not like there's some sort of union contract issue, which causes them to keep the operations separate.

Archived