MTA's recent slashing of 250 clerks leads to big spike in over time needs!!!

Will-Bx-718

This is just crazy, they have been bugging us like crazy to do OT on a daily basis since may 11th. Up until that day I hadn't heard OT being announced over the mas call system in 2 years. Before that day when you called for OT the S/S would almost seem glad to tell you there was none, or they would tell you no because they were holding it for their favorite S/A's. Now they need us to fill those jobs and they are begging us to do the OT and are getting pissed when you tell them NO!!!!. Just for this reason,is why I haven't done a single day of OT, because it's obvious the clerks were needed and they didn't care about cutting them because they thought everyone left was gonna jump all over the OT. And now that they have fast forwarded the the S/A summer pick to tomorrow may 31st instead of early july to mid july, they will have to cover ever booth that was suppose to close may 7th with people on OT or extras and they will have to pay all those people for lunch since all the lunch relief jobs that gave those booths lunch were all changed around. Wow Waldo really nows what he's doing.:mad::mad::tdown:

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/05/27/2010-05-27_mta_cuts_spur_big_ot_needs.html

This is just crazy, they have been bugging us like crazy to do OT on a daily basis since may 11th. Up until that day I hadn't heard OT being announced over the mas call system in 2 years. Before that day when you called for OT the S/S would almost seem glad to tell you there was none, or they would tell you no because they were holding it for their favorite S/A's. Now they need us to fill those jobs and they are begging us to do the OT and are getting pissed when you tell them NO!!!!. Just for this reason,is why I haven't done a single day of OT, because it's obvious the clerks were needed and they didn't care about cutting them because they thought everyone left was gonna jump all over the OT. And now that they have fast forwarded the the S/A summer pick to tomorrow may 31st instead of early july to mid july, they will have to cover ever booth that was suppose to close may 7th with people on OT or extras and they will have to pay all those people for lunch since all the lunch relief jobs that gave those booths lunch were all changed around. Wow Waldo really nows what he's doing.:mad::mad::tdown:

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/05/27/2010-05-27_mta_cuts_spur_big_ot_needs.html

In other words Cutting off yer nose dispite yer face....

i think the way (MTA) see's it, it is cheaper to pay out ot to a few employees than pay more employees bennefits. ie sick, vacation, medical, unemployment insurance etc. so they feel they are saving money. also the people that got laid off (MTA) already paid that unemployment insurance. so it might seem crazy to us that they are paying ot after laying hundreds off but to them its worth the savings by not having 250 bennefit packages to pay month to month.

i think the way (MTA) see's it, it is cheaper to pay out ot to a few employees than pay more employees bennefits. ie sick, vacation, medical, unemployment insurance etc. so they feel they are saving money. also the people that got laid off (MTA) already paid that unemployment insurance. so it might seem crazy to us that they are paying ot after laying hundreds off but to them its worth the savings by not having 250 bennefit packages to pay month to month.

This is exactly what I have been trying to tell some of my fellow S/A's. It probably cost them somewhere between 20-30K to insure each employee not to mention if they have dependants. And this cost is all if you never get sick and need to use the insurance, so people doing OT still saves them money because they only have to insure one person for work of two persons.

This is exactly what I have been trying to tell some of my fellow S/A's. It probably cost them somewhere between 20-30K to insure each employee not to mention if they have dependants. And this cost is all if you never get sick and need to use the insurance, so people doing OT still saves them money because they only have to insure one person for work of two persons.

Every governmental agency with represented titles employs this management principle. Governmental entities are not insured, but settle claims directly, and workers' compensation rates are essentially non-existent. On the other hand, every privatized business, especially those that specialize in high-risk lines of work (off-shore fishing, logging/forestry, roofing, electrical work, etc.), where liability insurance policies are extremely expensive and workers' compensation rates are in excess of 30% ($30 paid to comp for ever $100 of gross accumulated payroll), would prefer to have an adequate number of employees over excessive amounts of billable overtime to minimize expenses and maximum profits.

Dotn worry they will spend even more money(money they claim they dont have) to fight this...

Yep, you bet they will. Now they gotta re-hire people they fired!! lol. I can just imagine walder's face now. That pompous jerk off was probably having a baby when he heard the news.

It's not a victory dude, it's a stay of execution. All the MTA has to do to make the layoffs legal is to have public hearings, which they are planning next week. Once they complete them, the layoffs will be legal. Public hearings have never stopped the MTA's plans that I know of, they just made them less bad, or delayed them.

Yep, you bet they will. Now they gotta re-hire people they fired!! lol. I can just imagine walder's face now. That pompous jerk off was probably having a baby when he heard the news.

this is how stupid walder and ta is: they could have done one of 2 things:

offer buyouts for anyone eligible to retire so you wouldnt have to layoff anyone

reassign the clerks to cleaner

instead, you lay uys off, and now you possibly have to rehire them!!!! you cant make this stuff up!!!!

http://www.1010wins.com/Judge-Puts-Break-on-MTA-Cuts/7420306

"NEW YORK (AP/1010 WINS) -- A Manhattan judge ordered New York City's transit agency Tuesday to restore hundreds of jobs to its payroll and reopen dozens of customer service booths that had closed because of budget problems.

State Supreme Court Justice Saliann Scarpulla told the Metropolitan Transportation Authority to reopen 42 customer assistance booths across the subway system and return the agency's staffing to the level it was in May.

The agency laid off more than 200 employees last month and planned to cut another 200 this month. Those laid off included agents who sell subway passes at station booths and agents who provide customer service.

The judge said new public hearings were required before the MTA could fire any employees and ordered the booths to be reopened. She had postponed the planned additional layoffs last week."

It looks like those laid off clerks are back at work, at least for a little while.

Archived