MegaBus exapnds again: Philly becomes another major hub

w8Hou

From the press release:

Megabus.com Expands Philadelphia Service to and from Nine Northeast Cities

Daily express bus service offers 10,000 free seats to/from second Northeast Hub

PHILADELPHIA (June 10, 2010) – From $1, Megabus.com, a city-to-city, express bus company will greatly expand daily service to and from Philadelphia – a second Northeast hub – on July 21. Philadelphia residents can now travel to Atlantic City, N.J.; Baltimore; Boston; Buffalo, N.Y.; Harrisburg, Penn.; Pittsburgh; State College, Penn.; Syracuse, N.Y.; and Toronto. Five more trips have been added to the existing Philadelphia to Washington route, increasing departures to approximately every two hours. Customers may begin booking travel today at http://www.megabus.com for July 21 and beyond.

Megabus.com will offer 29 daily departures from its arrival and departure location on the south side of John F. Kennedy Boulevard, near North 30th Street and the west entrance to the 30th Street Station.

To celebrate this major service expansion, megabus.com is offering 10,000 free seats for travel July 21 and beyond. The free seats will be available on megabus.com departures to and from the nine Philadelphia expansion cities and Washington. Customers will need to use the promo code LUVPHL when booking their tickets via http://www.megabus.com (subject to availability on select dates, routes).

"Popularity in bus travel continues to rise as travelers search for economical options and quality service," said Dale Moser, president and COO of megabus.com. "The great travel values offered by megabus.com provide a real opportunity for Philadelphia residents to travel frequently and do more at their final destinations; catch a game, visit friends and family, take an inexpensive working business trip or plan weekend getaways."

Megabus.com, a subsidiary of Coach USA, launched in April 2006 and has served more than 5 million travelers. In addition to low fares, megabus.com offers customers high-value including environmentally-friendly, 81-seat double-decker buses, free Wi-Fi, power outlets and restrooms. Customers are encouraged to book early to secure fares from $1.

“We are thrilled megabus.com continues to find success in this region and has selected Philadelphia as their second Northeast hub,” said Jack Ferguson, executive vice president/incoming president, Philadelphia Convention & Visitors Bureau. “These new routes will definitely be of interest to travelers who have been looking for easy and cost-effective ways to explore this part of the United States. Philadelphia will become a hub-and-spoke city for travelers to start and end their holidays and vacations while exploring the Northeast.”

“Additional Megabus.com service adds to the accessibility of the Greater Philadelphia region—a destination that is within a five-hour ride for 25% of the U.S. population,” said Meryl Levitz, president and CEO of the Greater Philadelphia Tourism Marketing Corporation. “The affordability of Megabus.com makes it a popular mode of transportation, especially for young, tech-savvy travelers. And, with pick-up and drop-off located downtown at Philadelphia’s 30th Street Station, travelers have easy access to other transportation systems including Amtrak and SEPTA, or a close walk to University City and Center City.”

Link: http://us.megabus.com/newroutestwo.aspx

MegaBus to AC. Greyhound and NJ Transit better up there service. Cause the 551 cant compete with $1. And the AC-PHI Greyround needs to stop being late for once.

As much as I'm not a big Megabus fan, its a wrap for Greyhound and NJT. Ridership is gonna slighty drop on the Atlantic City Rail Line too.

• 2 weeks later...
MegaBus to AC. Greyhound and NJ Transit better up there service. Cause the 551 cant compete with $1. And the AC-PHI Greyround needs to stop being late for once.

Thanks MegaBus for ruining good paying driving jobs!

12 bucks an hour to driver a 81 passenger Double Decker! Utter madness....Coach USA AND the MegaBus drivers should be ashamed of that. It just makes it harder for the rest of us to get the contracts that we deserve!

I hope to god Greyhound fights back with the X3s and the new 4505s that are coming and beats MegaBus to a bloody pulp on that route!

When I took to Washington DC during blizzard, we did not how big the parking lot when bus arrives in morning, but thanks to good WMATA #70, we made to MegaBus which departured soon after we reported to Mega Bus dispatcher that our 11:59pm bus was cancelled, so he let us on.

They also show has MegaBus sign outside the parking lot just in case.

Bolt bus and Megabus have stops a few yards away at 30th st. There is practically no space in Philly for the 2 to join together in one building. I can't stand it when buses transit and trailway terminate in the middle of a block in the middle of a street block and call that their last stop.

I hate for Megabus to have a major transit hub at that 30th street stop.

(T)(R)(A)(N)(S)I(T)_(F)(R)(E)(A)(K)

Philly needs a big bus terminal just like the Port Authority. That peice of shyt terminal on 10th and filbert is a joke. The first time I did the 313 alone and after I got route training on it, I still couldnt find it when I went alone. Its sits basically in chinatown. As for MegaBus & Boltbus, a big terminal where all the buses come together would be better. I had some lady ask me one day while I was waiting for my return trip to Wildwood and this chick swear up and down I worked for MegaBus and said she was getting me in trouble because I didnt know where the MegaBus stop was.

Back in the late 60's, Philadelphia enjoyed having three terminals.

The Greyhound Terminal was underground, on three levels, in the basement of the old PRR offices, and was connected to the Penn Center office complex and to Suburban Station. It had around 18 gates, a telephone information center, a Post House Cafeteria (later a Burger King), a cocktail lounge, a snack bar, a news stand/snack bar. It had a car parking garage, and GPX facility. It also had underground bus servicing and parking space. It was a very nice state-of-the art terminal when built in the late '50's. It was located at 17th and Market Streets. Later on I believe the real estate became too valuable for it to continue there, and was demolished for a new high rise office tower.

On the other side of downtown, was the Trailways Terminal, located at 13th and Arch Streets. It was on street level, but offered plenty of gates and bus parking.

It also had a cafeteria, travel bureau, and was remodeled in late '60's.

Nearby was the old Union Bus Terminal on 13th and Filbert Streets. It was an old classic looking terminal that was used at the end of its life only by Public Service (which also stopped at the other two terminals on some schedules.

Archived