B110

jacsnyy

Most "secular" people are probably not going to want to go on a bus full of Chassidim, as they would feel out of place on it. The Chassidim also probably would not love having women in shorts and tank tops and men in jeans on the bus, so I wouldn't bet on too many people using it now as a primary form of transportation.

They also have separate seating for men and women on this bus like they do on the ones that go to the diamond district from Monsey, which is definitely a turn off for people.

Of course, this route is open for everyone to use, and non-jews can, and do, use it regularly without any issues whatsoever, but it is primarily for the chassidic community and they will try to keep it that way.

I know. I have taken the route a few times. I very much enjoy it, but there must be a rush hour community trying to go from Marcy Avenue to 50th street on West End, and if that option is gone, maybe they would take it. Also, there is no markers of the separate seating. It's just how they sit. I bet I could sit in the back, minus the weird looks, I don't think there'd be an issue.

I bet I could sit in the back, minus the weird looks, I don't think there'd be an issue.

Well, it depends on the sect of chassid on the bus at the time (there are a few that live in Williamsburg/Boro Park). Some, such as the Vishnitz and Lubavitch, are pretty accommodating and might let you get away with it, but others, like the Satmar, would scream like crazy (they are the ones in Israel that throw stones at people driving on the Sabbath). All I know is that I wouldn't want to be the one to try it out.

With the loss of the (M) between Williamsburg and Southern Brooklyn, do you think there will be greater non hasidic jewish ridership on the Privately owned B110 bus after the budget cuts?

Not really. The sole advantage the B110 has over the MTA as far as traveling as concerned is a shorter travel time. There are reasons why one wouldn't want to take the bus.

1) The $2.50 fare in cash. Remember Private Transportation doesn't take MetroCard, so one who would use the B110 and a bus/train would end up shelling out $4.75 each way.

2) As someone else here mentioned, the segregation between sexes, as per Hasidic customs. Very few people(myself included) would tolerate sitting with the own gender every ride.

3) The Jewish clientele. Just about every rider in the 110 is Jewish, and a non-Jewish rider would feel so out of place(as also mentioned someone else here).

4) Lastly, a person willing to deal with all of the above will also deal with frequent crowding. Many runs are SRO. Combine that with frequencies at 15 mins on Sunday, 20-35 minutes Monday thru Friday, no service from Friday afternoon to Saturday evening or Sunday morning and the various Jewish holidays that wouldn't ordinarily affect MTA service, one has to know the schedule enough to know when to use the B110.

• 2 weeks later...

''Of course, this route is open for everyone to use, and non-jews can, and do, use it regularly without any issues whatsoever, but it is primarily for the chassidic community and they will try to keep it that way.''

The key world is how often non jews ride it??somebody here on forum try to ride it and the person got denied.Maybe,because he gotten a jewish bus driver.If he gotten a non jewish driver it might be a different story.I know right now,there's a Asian driver does the 110.

nycbusfan is right,on Wed I saw Mexican lady get on the first run,then I saw a PR lady get on the bus for the next run out in Willamsberg

Today,I rode an Orion V from Willamsberg to Borough Park(end to end)I sat all the way in the back nobody didn't gave me any problems.(maybe,because I'm not jewish)One lady was in the back too and she was looking at me for about 15 sec.Maybe she try to hit on me....one thing I've notices some riders gave the driver some type of paper anyone here know what it is?nycbusfan might know....the ride wasn't bad as I though it will be.

nycbusfan is right,on Wed I saw Mexican lady get on the first run,then I saw a PR lady get on the bus for the next run out in Willamsberg

Today,I rode an Orion V from Willamsberg to Borough Park(end to end)I sat all the way in the back nobody didn't gave me any problems.(maybe,because I'm not jewish)One lady was in the back too and she was looking at me for about 15 sec.Maybe she try to hit on me....one thing I've notices some riders gave the driver some type of paper anyone here know what it is?nycbusfan might know....the ride wasn't bad as I though it will be.

That might one of those discount passes. A lot of riders use those.

And no, hoodciti, there is no route map. However, I might have a schedule with all the stops printed on it.

is there a route map of the b110?

nah...

but IIRC, the routing (williamsburg bound), is

18th av > 49th st > ft hamilton pkwy > caton av > coney island av > to park circle, enroute towards the prospect expwy > gowanus expwy > BQE > (exits on) classon av > wallabout st > bedford av > taylor/lee

nah...

but IIRC, the routing (williamsburg bound), is

18th av > 49th st > ft hamilton pkwy > caton av > coney island av > to park circle, enroute towards the prospect expwy > gowanus expwy > BQE > (exits on) classon av > wallabout st > bedford av > taylor/lee

Every time I have taken the bus it has taken Mcdonald Ave. then made a right somwhere passed over the Prospect Expressway and entered there.

I'll admit that what I'm recalling, was from years back.... the routing has changed since then, then... b/c I do remember seeing those buses going up coney island av....

just going off top, in lieu of what you're saying.... you say northbound buses take mcdonald av (I know the borough park bound buses go down mcdonald), and pass over the hwy & enter there....

let's see... going off top.... if buses no longer take caton....

ft hamilton is one way WB over the prospect... can't be that....

vanderbilt is cut off at the prospect

10th av is cut off at the prospect

there are some side streets b/w vanderbilt & 10th (don't know the names of them).... don't know if they pass over the expwy. or not... there is an entrance on 18th st... I dunno, streets run funny over there anyway.... guess buses are taking those side streets now....

thanks for the info btw

I'll admit that what I'm recalling, was from years back.... the routing has changed since then, then... b/c I do remember seeing those buses going up coney island av....

just going off top, in lieu of what you're saying.... you say northbound buses take mcdonald av (I know the borough park bound buses go down mcdonald), and pass over the hwy & enter there....

let's see... going off top.... if buses no longer take caton....

ft hamilton is one way WB over the prospect... can't be that....

vanderbilt is cut off at the prospect

10th av is cut off at the prospect

there are some side streets b/w vanderbilt & 10th (don't know the names of them).... don't know if they pass over the expwy. or not... there is an entrance on 18th st... I dunno, streets run funny over there anyway.... guess buses are taking those side streets now....

thanks for the info btw

when there's traffic on the BQE,they take Vanderbilt av>prospect park west.

• 1 month later...
Most "secular" people are probably not going to want to go on a bus full of Chassidim, as they would feel out of place on it. The Chassidim also probably would not love having women in shorts and tank tops and men in jeans on the bus, so I wouldn't bet on too many people using it now as a primary form of transportation.

They also have separate seating for men and women on this bus like they do on the ones that go to the diamond district from Monsey, which is definitely a turn off for people.

Of course, this route is open for everyone to use, and non-jews can, and do, use it regularly without any issues whatsoever, but it is primarily for the chassidic community and they will try to keep it that way.

I saw the timetable for the route from Borough Park to the diamond district park on New Utrecht ave around 61 st and it clearly states it is for "members only".

If you want to photograph the B110 go out on Sunday because it runs the most frequently and you may also catch a surprise. Personally I would recomend Boro Park by 50th and 18th. On top of the B110 you might see Monroe Bus, Monsey Trails, Lake Charker/Darkainu Bus Service and maybe the ex-Pace Orion I's. You can take the B8 or B11 there. They also operate another service called the Williamsburg Trolley which you will see if you go to the intersection of Roebling Street and Division Ave. in Williamsburg. On a Sunday stand there between 35-55 after the hour and you should see them.

Archived