After Doomsday: Bronx Bus service 1 month later after the cuts

Shortline Bus

And I thought the Bx36 was more slow and unreliable, considering that they ran every 20-30 minutes during PM rush hours months ago...

I found the extension pointless, considering that the (2) and (5) both run on White Plains Road from Pelham Parkway to Wakefield. But then again, the Bx41 and Bx41 LTD running from Gun Hill Road to Wakefield seemed like a huge waste.

Bx55 being cut to Weekdays till 8pm SUCKS!! I use to get on at 12:30am while service and now its bad. The Bx15 on weekends is a mess with the amount of people..

I agree with you to the point that I avoid the 3rd Avenue lines like a plague on weekends (whether I'm going to 138th St for the (6) train or to Fordham Plaza). The Bx15 is packed like crazy with people still waiting for the Bx55 on weekends when it doesn't run.

I agree with you to the point that I avoid the 3rd Avenue lines like a plague on weekends (whether I'm going to 138th St for the (6) train or to Fordham Plaza). The Bx15 is packed like crazy with people still waiting for the Bx55 on weekends when it doesn't run.

The MTA should consider short-turning every other or every Bx15 during the weekend daytime hours and send fewer buses to Manhattan, to concentrate on the core service area of Third Avenue.

Since articulated buses have been introduced to the Bx15, I don't see too many standing loads.

A possible service pattern may look like this:

Bus A: Full route (Fordham Plaza to 12/125)

Bus B: Short-turn (Fordham Plaza to St. Nicholas/125)

Bus C: Short-turn (Fordham Plaza to 149 Street)

The MTA should consider short-turning every other or every Bx15 during the weekend daytime hours and send fewer buses to Manhattan, to concentrate on the core service area of Third Avenue.

Since articulated buses have been introduced to the Bx15, I don't see too many standing loads.

A possible service pattern may look like this:

Bus A: Full route (Fordham Plaza to 12/125)

Bus B: Short-turn (Fordham Plaza to St. Nicholas/125)

Bus C: Short-turn (Fordham Plaza to 149 Street)

Actually i could be wrong but I do think the (NYCT)is already having every 'third' BX15 start/end at 149/3rd (2)(5) station. I was in that area of the Bronx during the July 4th Holiday weekend to see cousins. The BX 15 was among the routes i busfanned on.

I do agree that based on ridership the BX55 should still had ran until at least 11pm weekdays and some Saturday service i.e. IMO 8am-8pm to serve those riders going to shop/hang out at either the 149th "Hub" or on Fordham. The BX15 can get stuck in traffic along Harlem 125th St frequently.

And in the end if there are more doomsday cuts IMO, I would not be surprised if the BX55 is gone in next set of cuts merged into the BX15. So to keep the people from being angry and BX15 "Limited' is created.

Couldn't they just cut the Bx55 back to Fordham Road weekdays and eliminate it weekends, instead of going through the public thinking that there is no replacement for the bus.

Anytime they get rid of the route, there are always people who are going to think there is no service. People taking the S42 didn't realize that the S52 was going to go up the hill on St Marks Place and people taking the B37 in Bay Ridge didn't realize that the B70 was going to go down 3rd Avenue. I'm sure there areplenty of other restructurings where people didn't realize there would be a replacement. It is better to just cut back on the Bx55 rather than replace it with a Bx15 Limited.

I hate to suggest this... but judging by the replies here, they may as well do away with the 55, since the majority are all piling on 15's.... The 15 would have to be run like the B44, w/ the myriad of short turns it has....

"borrowing" AEmoreira's format for a sec., bus/service patterns would run like this:

Bus A (full route): 12/125th to Gun Hill/WPR

Bus B (short turn 1): 12/125th to Fordham plz

Bus C (short turn 2): The hub to Gun Hill/WPR

Bus D (short turn 3): The hub to Fordham plz

Bus E (short turn 4): Lex/125th to Gun Hill/WPR

Bus A would pretty much only run during late nights - AM off peak hrs...

Bus B & Bus C would constitute the "bulk" of the service throughout the day (weekdays & weekends)...

Bus D would only run during the AM & PM rush hours (Bus B & C would still run when Bus D does)...

Bus E would only run on weekends; certain runs throughout the day (Bus B & C would still run when Bus E does)...

then the question becomes which (out of Buses A-E) would run local, and which would run limited....

I have a gut feeling that in the next round of cuts, instead of the Bx55 getting cut entirely, the Bx55 would not run north of Fordham Road and the Bx15 not running south of Lexington Av/125th St (4)(5)(6) station.

Here's my other replies on the doomsday cuts besides the Bx15/55:

-The Bx38 is getting more and more riders in Coop City. Although the Bx28 gives Section 5 riders a Coop City bypass route to the (5) train and Montefiore Hospital, most of the time the Bx28 and Bx38 often meet up at Edson Av, resulting in bunching.

-The Bx39 is getting more usage due to the Bx41 getting cut back at Gun Hill Road. Riders coming off the Bx41 still prefer taking the Bx39 over the (2) train.

-The Bx5 via Crosby Av is resulting in some traffic at Amendola Plaza in Pelham Bay Park station since it has to turn from Westchester Avenue onto Amendola Plaza, which is often plagued with idling buses or taxicabs waiting for customers.

-For the Bx8 via Country Club, some on Stadium Av say that there's too many buses during weekdays. If that's the case, have every other bus run between Williamsbridge and Westchester Square during the week since buses run every half-hour on weekends.

-Lastly, about the Bx55 and Bx15, there's too much ridership relying on the Bx15 local where it should be the opposite. Personally, I would have the Bx15 run between Fordham and 138th/3rd Av (6) station and the Bx55 run between Fordham and Park Av/125th St MNRR station. Most use the Bx15 on 125th Street just to ride along that strip or in case the (2) or (5) break down in the Bronx.

-The Bx39 is getting more usage due to the Bx41 getting cut back at Gun Hill Road. Riders coming off the Bx41 still prefer taking the Bx39 over the (2) train.

-Lastly, about the Bx55 and Bx15, there's too much ridership relying on the Bx15 local where it should be the opposite. Personally, I would have the Bx15 run between Fordham and 138th/3rd Av (6) station and the Bx55 run between Fordham and Park Av/125th St MNRR station. Most use the Bx15 on 125th Street just to ride along that strip or in case the (2) or (5) break down in the Bronx.

This should increase Bx55 ridership north of Fordham Plaza since they can take Bx41, Bx41 LIMITED, or Bx55 LIMITED to Gun Hill Road for the Bx39 instead of just the Bx41, or Bx41 LIMITED to go north of Gun Hill Road.

Actually i could be wrong but I do think the (NYCT)is already having every 'third' BX15 start/end at 149/3rd (2)(5) station. I was in that area of the Bronx during the July 4th Holiday weekend to see cousins. The BX 15 was among the routes i busfanned on.

I do agree that based on ridership the BX55 should still had ran until at least 11pm weekdays and some Saturday service i.e. IMO 8am-8pm to serve those riders going to shop/hang out at either the 149th "Hub" or on Fordham. The BX15 can get stuck in traffic along Harlem 125th St frequently.

And in the end if there are more doomsday cuts IMO, I would not be surprised if the BX55 is gone in next set of cuts merged into the BX15. So to keep the people from being angry and BX15 "Limited' is created.

If a Bx15 Limited is created, then the 169 Street Bx55 stop can be moved to 168 Street for a connection with the Bx35.

The Bx55 stop at 174 Street should be discontinued.

There would be four service patterns on the Bx15 as a result:

Limited (full route - no Willis Avenue southbound) with the following stops: Fordham Plaza, St. Barnabas Hospital, 180, Tremont, Claremont, 168, 163, 156, 149, 138/3 (to Manhattan), 138/Willis (to Fordham), Manhattan-All Stops

Local (Fordham Plaza - 149/3): all local stops - all times

Local (Claremont Parkway - 149/3): all local stops - peak direction only - to 149 AM, from 149 PM

Local (Fordham Plaza - 125/St. Nicholas)

Local (full route): evenings and nights when Bx15 does not run.

The Claremont Parkway stop southbound should be moved to the far side of the street. One should note that there used to be short-turns on the Bx55 that ended at 169 Street. The area needing the most service is from 149 Street up to Claremont Parkway.

-The Bx38 is getting more and more riders in Coop City. Although the Bx28 gives Section 5 riders a Coop City bypass route to the (5) train and Montefiore Hospital, most of the time the Bx28 and Bx38 often meet up at Edson Av, resulting in bunching.

-The Bx5 via Crosby Av is resulting in some traffic at Amendola Plaza in Pelham Bay Park station since it has to turn from Westchester Avenue onto Amendola Plaza, which is often plagued with idling buses or taxicabs waiting for customers.

-For the Bx8 via Country Club, some on Stadium Av say that there's too many buses during weekdays. If that's the case, have every other bus run between Williamsbridge and Westchester Square during the week since buses run every half-hour on weekends.

To me, on weekdays only, the Bx8 should have every other trip follow Bruckner Boulevard instead and use the old Layton Avenue routing. These routings would be designated as the Bx8B (for Bruckner), with Stadium Avenue trips designated as Bx8S. The County Club area is indeed overserved.

Trips that end/start at Westchester Square and head north or come from the north would be Bx8 only. I think though that the Bx8 should be transferred to Gun Hill, using the Bx40/2 deadhead.

I have seen a lot of bunching as well on Gun Hill. I believe out of all the changes this may have been the wisest and the most beneficial. Most likely schedule adjustments are needed. Also maybe a peak period Bx25 via Allerton Avenue should be sent up the same route as the Bx38 thru Northern Co-op City.

Pelham Bay station is a mess and the (Bx5) routing thru the station is ridiculous. The Bx5 leaves Pelham from its regular stop turns left 3 times pretty much circling Pelham Bay Station sometimes taking 5-10 minutes just to leave Pelham Bay. Then routing thru Crosby seems pointless I barely ever see anyone board and the trip is noticeably longer. I dont know if the Crosby routing itself is affecting service further down the line but I have noticed way more bunching and way longer wait times especially during peak. Last Friday night around 10ish, I waited nearly 40 minutes for the Bx5 at Hunts Point 3 buses showed up turned around at West Farms Rd. one went out of service, the second, an NG filled up, still leaving a rather large crowd waiting for artic.

Concerning the Bx8, I feel like there are way more Bx8's than Bx14's causing more traffic at Amendola Plaza-Pelham Bay Station and Country Club. Someone suggested sending some down Bruckner Blvd., that's probably a good solution.

I have seen a lot of bunching as well on Gun Hill. I believe out of all the changes this may have been the wisest and the most beneficial. Most likely schedule adjustments are needed. Also maybe a peak period Bx25 via Allerton Avenue should be sent up the same route as the Bx38 thru Northern Co-op City.

Pelham Bay station is a mess and the (Bx5) routing thru the station is ridiculous. The Bx5 leaves Pelham from its regular stop turns left 3 times pretty much circling Pelham Bay Station sometimes taking 5-10 minutes just to leave Pelham Bay. Then routing thru Crosby seems pointless I barely ever see anyone board and the trip is noticeably longer. I dont know if the Crosby routing itself is affecting service further down the line but I have noticed way more bunching and way longer wait times especially during peak. Last Friday night around 10ish, I waited nearly 40 minutes for the Bx5 at Hunts Point 3 buses showed up turned around at West Farms Rd. one went out of service, the second, an NG filled up, still leaving a rather large crowd waiting for artic.

Concerning the Bx8, I feel like there are way more Bx8's than Bx14's causing more traffic at Amendola Plaza-Pelham Bay Station and Country Club. Someone suggested sending some down Bruckner Blvd., that's probably a good solution.

With the Country Club-bound Bx8 and the Pelham Bay-bound Bx5, there's one simple solution, have them use Wilkinson Avenue instead of Amendola Plaza. It is pretty simple since they would avoid making that tough turn at Amendola Plaza, however, a speed bump is on Wilkinson Av between Westchester Av and Bruckner Blvd, making it difficult for buses to run through that street.

If a Bx15 Limited is created, then the 169 Street Bx55 stop can be moved to 168 Street for a connection with the Bx35.

The Bx55 stop at 174 Street should be discontinued.

There would be four service patterns on the Bx15 as a result:

Limited (full route - no Willis Avenue southbound) with the following stops: Fordham Plaza, St. Barnabas Hospital, 180, Tremont, Claremont, 168, 163, 156, 149, 138/3 (to Manhattan), 138/Willis (to Fordham), Manhattan-All Stops

Local (Fordham Plaza - 149/3): all local stops - all times

Local (Claremont Parkway - 149/3): all local stops - peak direction only - to 149 AM, from 149 PM

Local (Fordham Plaza - 125/St. Nicholas)

Local (full route): evenings and nights when Bx15 does not run.

The Claremont Parkway stop southbound should be moved to the far side of the street. One should note that there used to be short-turns on the Bx55 that ended at 169 Street. The area needing the most service is from 149 Street up to Claremont Parkway.

To me, on weekdays only, the Bx8 should have every other trip follow Bruckner Boulevard instead and use the old Layton Avenue routing. These routings would be designated as the Bx8B (for Bruckner), with Stadium Avenue trips designated as Bx8S. The County Club area is indeed overserved.

Trips that end/start at Westchester Square and head north or come from the north would be Bx8 only. I think though that the Bx8 should be transferred to Gun Hill, using the Bx40/2 deadhead.

What I would do with the Bx8 is have it replace the Bx42 and terminate it at Harding/Emerson Avs. As for Locust Point and Country Club, reroute the Bx29 from Coop City.

With the Bx15, my stance on it is it should not run through all of 125th St if there's so much traffic on that strip. It's better off just getting cut back to Lexington Av or Park Av so it can concentrate its service on 3rd Avenue.

My route patterns:

Bx15 (Fordham to 138th St)

Bx55 short turn (Fordham to 149th St)

Bx55 (Fordham to 125th/Park Av)

Bx15: would connect to the (6) at 3rd Av-138th St, then run via 138th and Willis Avenue.

N/B: Route: Willis Av Bridge, 135th St, Lincoln Av, 138th St, Willis Av

As for your LTD stops, I like them. It's been long overdue to move the LTD stop from 169th St to 168th St for the transfer to the Bx35, although it would bring some sort of opposition from those living in project city.

Wouldn't it be even easier for the (MTA) to cut (Bx55) service to Williamsbridge, now that the (Bx41) runs the same distance and has the same terminals?

That could be next, but 3rd Avenue riders (most of them live east of that street) that live in neighborhoods isolated from the subway (namely Morrisania and East Tremont) wouldn't be able to reach points north of Fordham Road (namely Montefiore Hospital, Bedford Park, and the Northeast Bronx).

I know the simple way to solve the (Bx55) and (Bx15) problems...lol

Build the Second Avenue subway quick and extend it to Third Avenue in the Bronx:

(T)|To Co-Op City

(T)|Second Av Lcl

(T)|Bronx Lcl

and have a peak direction express run from The Hub uptown...

But seriously to solve this problem I have no clue.

Does anyone know the changes the Bx55 went through over the years? I only know these:

*It was initially a 24/7 route that served Gun Hill Road to The Hub before the 1995 cuts.

*After September 1995, 24/7 service was retained, but it only served Fordham and The Hub at 1AM to 5AM.

*When 2002 came, late night service was replaced by the Bx15 from Fordham to The Hub. (At least, that's what my 2002 map says)

*Service to Gun Hill Road became a weekday-only extension in July 2004.

*Bx55 route is a weekday-only route as of June 27, 2010.

Archived