After Doomsday: Queens Bus service 1 month after the service cuts

Shortline Bus

Now our focus turns to Queens as almost 1 month has passed since the so called Doomsday service cuts started in June. Feel free to reply and comment if other than more crowding has service gotten better or worse? Especially for Queens base routes like the Q74 and Q79 that is now gone and also reducing the Q42 and Q26 to rush hour only service. Thanks in Advance.

The only thing I will say is about the 79. For someone without a car to get to Bay Terrace from Glen Oaks on an unlimited card, I have to do the following: Q46 to the Q27 and then walk from 48th and Bell to Northern for the Q13. It's not a terrible deal, but it was much easier to take the 79 to the 12. This is mainly for when I go walking along the 2.5 mile stretch along the water by the Cross Island. Last time I did it, I went with a friend who drove.

Interesting observation about the Q67: On weekdays, you can busfan the Q67 to make kind of a loop. You can take the (M) from Queens Plaza to Metro Avenue then take a Q67 to get back to Queens Plaza to the (M).

Enroute from Metro Avenue to Queens Plaza, you travel on 69th Street; Borden Avenue; 65th Place; 53d Drive; Maurice Avenue; Queens Midtown Expressway; 58th Street; 55th Avenue; Laurel Hill Boulevard; Borden Avenue; 27th Street; 49th Avenue; 21st Street; 44th Drive; Jackson Avenue; 42d Road; 28th Street, and Queens Plaza South. Estimated running time at Noon on a weekday Metro Avenue (M) to Queens Plaza (M) 37 minutes.

This sounds like an interesting trip to try.

^^ kind of random, but I had to think about that....

I won't try it, for the simple fact that I always had to wait ridiculously long for that route... either I just miss it, or I'm @ Christ the King stop (by the pizza shop there; if that's still there) and I see a Q67 across the street, heading towards fresh pond rd where I'm thinking okay, his layover's gonna be about 10-15 mins or so... I can wait....

1/2 hour later, no bus in sight... check that, no Q67 in sight....

result, I end up taking the (M), or the Q54 & end up fanning/traveling somewhere else....

I don't think I'll ride the Q67 again... always have bad luck catching that bus...

Interesting observation about the Q67: On weekdays, you can busfan the Q67 to make kind of a loop. You can take the (M) from Queens Plaza to Metro Avenue then take a Q67 to get back to Queens Plaza to the (M).

Enroute from Metro Avenue to Queens Plaza, you travel on 69th Street; Borden Avenue; 65th Place; 53d Drive; Maurice Avenue; Queens Midtown Expressway; 58th Street; 55th Avenue; Laurel Hill Boulevard; Borden Avenue; 27th Street; 49th Avenue; 21st Street; 44th Drive; Jackson Avenue; 42d Road; 28th Street, and Queens Plaza South. Estimated running time at Noon on a weekday Metro Avenue (M) to Queens Plaza (M) 37 minutes.

This sounds like an interesting trip to try.

I always thought that the Q67 should been extended to the Fresh Pond/67 Ave (M) station to increase ridership and provide a faster route to LIC/Queens Plaza over the slow Q39 for Ridgewood/Maspeth/Middle Village residents.

^^ kind of random, but I had to think about that....

I won't try it, for the simple fact that I always had to wait ridiculously long for that route... either I just miss it, or I'm @ Christ the King stop (by the pizza shop there; if that's still there) and I see a Q67 across the street, heading towards fresh pond rd where I'm thinking okay, his layover's gonna be about 10-15 mins or so... I can wait....

1/2 hour later, no bus in sight... check that, no Q67 in sight....

result, I end up taking the (M), or the Q54 & end up fanning/traveling somewhere else....

I don't think I'll ride the Q67 again... always have bad luck catching that bus...

i go to christ the king, and the q67 is seriously the worst, even during rush hour. you'll be stuck waiting for that damn bus for like, ever.

what's weird though, is that in the morning, there will be like 20 minutes when there like 4 buses all right after each other, the first one having a couple people, and the rest will have one or two. then after that, the next bus takes forever to get there. ever since they switched to route to LGA, service has been even more unreliable than it was with CP. same goes for the q38.. ever since these routes switched depots, their morning service has been all over the place.. i hope they worked out the kinks by the time school comes around, because it's already been a couple months and service is still kinda erratic.

Archived