Whats the hardest part of being a T/O, B/O, C/R

R42 M Train

I drove a R17 Redbird at the Trolley Musuem in Conn. Its a SMEE not NTT and ill say this that thing was fun to drive i got it to the 3rd position on the throttle and once I got used to the brakes (very sensitiveee) it was awesome i wish i could drive a Redbird on the lines in real life :P

I drove a R17 Redbird at the Trolley Musuem in Conn. Its a SMEE not NTT and ill say this that thing was fun to drive i got it to the 3rd position on the throttle and once I got used to the brakes (very sensitiveee) it was awesome i wish i could drive a Redbird on the lines in real life :P

Operate B) you don't drive trains B) kinda hard considering you can't steer a train B)

How old do you have to be to drive :o... I mean operate the trains at the muesum?

18 or accompanied by a legal adult or guardian. All "guest operators" will be instructed by a qualified instructor at the museum to ensure they know what they're doing and that they are operating safely.

Operational rapid transit cars at this exact moment:

R17

Lo-V

BU convertible el car

The hardest part about the job has nothing to do with train operations.

The hardest part is when you're brand new and you have assigned hours and days off which are radically different from those that your wife/girlfriend have. It is very taxing on a relationship when she's working a 9 to 5 with weekends off...and you have to work 5 PM to 1 AM (or other weird hours) with Tuesday & Wednesday off, and you must work on every single holiday (including Thanksgiving and Christmas).

Many, many transit workers have lost their marriage or girlfriend due to these hours that every rookie must deal with for the first few years. The feeling of abandonment can really take a huge toll on your emotions.

The hardest part about the job has nothing to do with train operations.

The hardest part is when you're brand new and you have assigned hours and days off which are radically different from those that your wife/girlfriend have. It is very taxing on a relationship when she's working a 9 to 5 with weekends off...and you have to work 5 PM to 1 AM (or other weird hours) with Tuesday & Wednesday off, and you must work on every single holiday (including Thanksgiving and Christmas).

Many, many transit workers have lost their marriage or girlfriend due to these hours that every rookie must deal with for the first few years. The feeling of abandonment can really take a huge toll on your emotions.

And many many have gotten multiple girlfriends, and multiple child support claims because of this as well.

That is very true, since to them you are just a number and the recent layoffs is proof of that.

That's only part of the problem. The other part is where employees get themselves fired (and attempt to get re-hired).

i cant speak for the bus operators or conductors..........butas a train operator(and me coming from another title within ta),i knew most of the things that could/would cause difficulty..........but that being said here are somethings that are tough:

-the hours are difficult, especially when it comes to the beginning of your work week and the end of your workweek......an example: on your monday, the assignment center will try and give you the earliest job possible, while on your friday they will give you the lastest job possible, which in fact, shortens your day off.................

-if you are a new hire, the lack of earned days off,vacation in your first 2 years are rough; you dont get much time off besides your rdo's, that sucks......;also trying to get days off is another adventure too..........

-some of your co-workers are "special".......lol..........some people they have me work with, i have to shake my head.......i remember coming in, and this conductor, the first thing out of her mouth before i sign on is "did you read the g.o? because some train operator took the wrong lineup and i dont want to have to pull the cord," blah,blah,blah...........i told the dispatcher that i dont need a tss, because i got one right in the middle worrying about what im doing and what she is doing.........lol

-and as some have mentioned, if you have a family life,etc,it is very taxing, and unfortunatly,it does cause issues at home...........(i guess thats why a lot of ta workers go with other workers,lol)

I can only speak for myself. Here are MY reasons.

During your probation,you get a lot of TSS's evaluating you and riding with you.No matter how good you did with one TSS,you have to prove yourself all over again with another one who has never rode with you.

Train operators are ALWAYS at fault.If you are late at a terminal,it is because the T/O is slow.If a T/O encounters horrible flagging (which is about 75% of the time)they are in a no win situation as the RCC and Supervision always sides with the track gangs.These are just a couple of the many things that a T/O is in a no win situation in.

SItting on the board for 6 hours then having to work a full job may be good moneywise,but it is murder on your sleep and personal life.

No matter how much sleep you get,working on the midnights means between the hours of 0400-0600 you are fighting sleep and are exhausted until you catch the "second wind"

And here is the single hardest thing for me IMHO......................................................................................................Havig to come into a crowded station during rush hour with scores of gorgeous women to look at and admire,and not seeing a SINGLE one because you must look for the 10 car marker.:o

I can only speak for myself. Here are MY reasons.

During your probation,you get a lot of TSS's evaluating you and riding with you.No matter how good you did with one TSS,you have to prove yourself all over again with another one who has never rode with you.

Train operators are ALWAYS at fault.If you are late at a terminal,it is because the T/O is slow.If a T/O encounters horrible flagging (which is about 75% of the time)they are in a no win situation as the RCC and Supervision always sides with the track gangs.These are just a couple of the many things that a T/O is in a no win situation in.

SItting on the board for 6 hours then having to work a full job may be good moneywise,but it is murder on your sleep and personal life.

No matter how much sleep you get,working on the midnights means between the hours of 0400-0600 you are fighting sleep and are exhausted until you catch the "second wind"

And here is the single hardest thing for me IMHO......................................................................................................Havig to come into a crowded station during rush hour with scores of gorgeous women to look at and admire,and not seeing a SINGLE one because you must look for the 10 car marker.B)

Heh, that'd be something.

"Why'd you run out of the station?"

"I was looking at the wrong 10"

:o

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Heh, that'd be something.

"Why'd you run out of the station?"

"I was looking at the wrong 10"

:o

That just made my day

Archived