Why does this happen to some (2) Stripmaps?

CTK246

Some (if not most) of the R142 cars are 9-10 years old,the color fades over a period of time.has anyone seen this on the stripmaps of the R142/A that run on the IRT Lex?

yeh colors fading. For the Lex Line, MAYBE the (5) ive seen but might be the plastic protecting it being dirty.. Ill keep a look out. The (2) deff has it being bleached up.. Even some completely Orange.

That used to happen on the RTS stickers int he stairwell ("Watch your step", IIRC). they started out red, but then faded to yellow.

It's probably the way the ink is made. Red is really like a fuchsia stained with a transparent yellow. The fuchsia wears off, leaving the yellow stain. (You occasionally see other colors fade like that).

Although the way some of those fades on the map look greenish, I sometimes wondered if they took a (5) strip and colored the (2) over it or something.

Key word, the R142s are getting up there in the age. R142 6301-6310 is nearing 11years old.

Its not that... the colors faded as a result of some type of cleaning solution that used to remove the vandalism that probably went in the paper somehow and it stay that way for 3 or more years without replacing it or use finger paint to color in the red lines.

It doesnt matter then, MTA is planning in the near future to replace the strip maps with FIND signs on the R142/A fleet. No date yet.

Seeing that subway trains often last 40 years +, a 10-year old train is hardly getting up there in age. It's still a "young" train and still seems "modern" or at least "current". The R62/R68s are "middle aged" and the R46 somewhere between middle-aged and "old". I guess the R46 still doesn't feel old as long as the R32s are still around, it doesn't seem outmoded yet.

The NTTs are actually quite good. They are workshorses though I don't like the bumping start of some of the R142As. Cosmetically, they show some wear of course but look very good and are decently maintained.

Key word, the R142s are getting up there in the age. R142 6301-6310 is nearing 11years old.

I was on a (2) train today and I looked at the stripmap, it reflected the new service changes. I'm guessing they used a different ink from before, because all the new strip maps are this pale red yellowish color.

Its the same original stripmap but the bottom part that shows the transfer points is actually a card they slip under there

52579066.jpg

Like the stripmaps turn from red to yellow, and it only happens on the (2).

On another note, why do some R142A's have a chalk-like substance over the stripmap?

Discoloration: Probably heat damage. Leave a sticker out in the sun, and you'll see what I mean.

Chalk-like substance: Seems to be the side effect of some cleaning solution.

Seeing that subway trains often last 40 years +, a 10-year old train is hardly getting up there in age. It's still a "young" train and still seems "modern" or at least "current". The R62/R68s are "middle aged" and the R46 somewhere between middle-aged and "old". I guess the R46 still doesn't feel old as long as the R32s are still around, it doesn't seem outmoded yet.

The NTTs are actually quite good. They are workshorses though I don't like the bumping start of some of the R142As. Cosmetically, they show some wear of course but look very good and are decently maintained.

and the R142 isnt even 10 years old just yet it came out the end of 02 on the (6) first and that was just the road test cars than they came out with the R142 on the (2)(5) in 03 than on the(4) the most they are is 7 to 8 years old and yea thats not old at all its just the paint coloring faded out

and the R142 isnt even 10 years old just yet it came out the end of 02 on the (6) first and that was just the road test cars than they came out with the R142 on the (2)(5) in 03 than on the(4) the most they are is 7 to 8 years old and yea thats not old at all its just the paint coloring faded out

You're totally confused there buddy. The R142s first started comming in service in 1999 on the (2), then the (5), then the (4) and the R142As came in 2001 (or 2002 I forgot) on the (6), then the (4). The oldest set (6301-6305, 6306-6310) is already 11 years old

I don't know where people come up with this stuff. if he had shown some shred of "proof" maybe I would buy it.

You like SubChat?

Yeah? I had never heard that one!

You have a handle on SubChat? - http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=612915

Even though its a 3 year SubChat post. There's always been talks to put FIND signs on R142 cars inside the board meetings of MTA, PCAC, and others.

Guest lance25

Even though it came from a reliable source, plans can and do change without notice (case and point, the (P) line). I'm pretty sure the economy has put the brakes on certain upgrades. Plus, I don't think the R142(a)s really need FINDs as they don't deviate from their regular routes all that often, outside of the (2)/(5) flip-flop.

You're totally confused there buddy. The R142s first started comming in service in 1999 on the (2), then the (5), then the (4) and the R142As came in 2001 (or 2002 I forgot) on the (6), then the (4). The oldest set (6301-6305, 6306-6310) is already 11 years old

i can remember when they came out because i was in high school than i took the (2)(5)(6) everyday and the year i first saw them was in 01 i have pics of them and the first sets that i saw come out it was just two of them on the (2) and two on the (6) i remember after 9-11 there wasnt any kinda new train on the IRT so it had to be after 01 not 99 thats nuts

i can remember when they came out because i was in high school than i took the (2)(5)(6) everyday and the year i first saw them was in 01 i have pics of them and the first sets that i saw come out it was just two of them on the (2) and two on the (6) i remember after 9-11 there wasnt any kinda new train on the IRT so it had to be after 01 not 99 thats nuts

You can look it up or ask anybody, they started comming in November of 1999 but they had that little problem so they stopped comming in for about a month. I remember it perfectly cuz at that time I saw it twice and rode it for the first time on New Years Day 2000 (I actually spent New Years on the (2) train stuck between 149-Concourse & 135 St with my mother lol)

Archived