Not Again - Enough is enough

jimbob60

How many more G.O's will there be for the E train? I saw today no service at Court Square/23rd St Station (the former 23rd/Ely) after 10PM weekdays for the next 2 weeks and no weekend service at all for the next 2 weekends. Those signs do not mean regular service resumes after that as I expect to see new signs up in 2 weeks time announcing no service through the end of the month. I cannot remember the last time the E ran normally on a weekend and past 10PM on a weeknight. I would say the original 53rd St tunnel was built in less time than the signal renovation work is taking. This is very frustrating. Of course none of these closures bring the opening date of the enclosed connection between the E,M,G and the 7 any closer to reality.

Guest lance25

@jimbob60: You better get used to it and find another way to get to your destination. Like stated on the G.O. poster Zach (Brighton Local) posted, these diversions will be around until late next year when the Fifth Avenue Signal Modernization project is completed.

How many more G.O's will there be for the E train? I saw today no service at Court Square/23rd St Station (the former 23rd/Ely) after 10PM weekdays for the next 2 weeks and no weekend service at all for the next 2 weekends. Those signs do not mean regular service resumes after that as I expect to see new signs up in 2 weeks time announcing no service through the end of the month. I cannot remember the last time the E ran normally on a weekend and past 10PM on a weeknight. I would say the original 53rd St tunnel was built in less time than the signal renovation work is taking. This is very frustrating. Of course none of these closures bring the opening date of the enclosed connection between the E,M,G and the 7 any closer to reality.

Who knows when they'll finish. The (MTA) still hasn't gotten the whole falsfication of signal inspections dealt with and they admit that they don't know how to resolve the problem. :P Really?

Wait a Second...

• Switch replacement and the modernization of the signal system at 5 Av-53 St

and Lexington Av-53 St Stations

• Construction of a new fan plant at Jackson Av in Queens

• Replacement of tracks in the 53 St tunnel, 23 St-Ely Av and 47-50 Sts Stations

• Connection of the Second Avenue subway to the Lexington Av-63 St Station

The projets are Renovating the 53 Street line and Extending the (Q) to 2 Avenue? I thought SAS would be done in 2015 or something like that! :eek:

Wait a Second...

The projets are Renovating the 53 Street line and Extending the (Q) to 2 Avenue? I thought SAS would be done in 2015 or something like that! :eek:

When did you expect them to connect SAS with the Lexington Avenue station? Did you really think they were going to wait until 2015?

It would be a good idea to have the (G) use the IND Queens Boulevard Line when the (E) isn't running there. I think someone should tell the (MTA) this. While the connection is being built, and when (E) trains can't make it to the line have the (G) temporarily run up there to serve the people, and to fill in the missing gap from the (E).

Not to get off topic. In this type of GO when the 53rd Tubes are closed, IMO this is a scenrio where the (G) should return to the QB line. I am sure it would be cheaper than running all of these shuttle buses.
I wonder if the higher ups of the (MTA) even know this site exists. I'll be interesting if they consider our inputs for a change.

Guest lance25

They know.

The problem with extending the (G) is either they'll have to add more trains (and more crews) or there will be some ridiculously long waits between trains.

They know.

The problem with extending the (G) is either they'll have to add more trains (and more crews) or there will be some ridiculously long waits between trains.

How much longer could the wait times on the (G) be? ;)

They know.

One word: overtime.
Now I think about it.... the (MTA) already made service cuts and is threatened to make more so I kinda see why they wouldn't extend anything.

The (G) is just a glorified shuttle train. It's not much different from anything else. All it got is a letter to it's name, and we could have people work overtime. Plus what do you think happens when the (G) runs to Coney Island when the (F) is rerouted onto the (C). The same thing happens. So while construction is going on it's best to use the (G).

Guest lance25

It's one thing to extend the (G) to Stillwell, thus removing the need for a boatload of shuttle buses, and another entirely to extend it to 71 Av to connect three stations (23 St-Ely Av, Queens Plaza & 21 St-Queensbridge), especially during the late night hours where the (G) is already running at 20 minute intervals.

Basically, it all boils down to cost efficiency.

Archived