EX LIRR Cars in Globe, Arizona!

Weekends of March 5/6 & 12/13, 2011, Thomas the Tank Engine was/will be in Globe, Arizona operating over former Southern Pacific ( Now Arizona Eastern Railway) Tracks. However, what makes this very interesting for myself wasn't really Thomas. The consist behind Thomas and the E-8. 2 EX MTA Long Island Railroad C-1 Cars ( now part of the Rio Grande Scenic Railway) in the middle of Globe, Arizona! When I arrived, I glanced at the cars and said, these look exactly like LIRR Bi-Levels. Sure enough, when I boarded the train, the interior stickers said " Thank you for riding MTA", and Watch the Gap, MTA Long Island Railroad!!! This was awesome! MTA Cars in the middle of Arizona. I always thought, how funny it would be to see some NYC Equipment out West. Sure enough, I rode it, and none the less, behind Thomas the Tank Engine! Awesome day all together!

DSC_0068A.jpg

DSC_0161A.jpg

DSC_0180A.jpg

DSC_0171.jpg

DSC_0175.jpg

DSC_0182A.jpg

More on Thomas & Other photos see this thread:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27628

Zach

Excellent Photos and catch! When were the C1/2 built and retired off MTA?
watch?v=8wqMrjU2Az4&feature=related

Heres a video of the C1 built by Tokyu Car Corporation.The same company who built the MNRR M4 triplets.The quick back drop of this mysterious set is that the MTA order this set as a prototype back in 1988 to test and canibalize for the future C3's you see on the railroad today built by Kawasaki.The C1 was built by Tokyu which is a company under Sumitomo.The pics that Brighton have presented is the Tokyu C1 and I heard this set was purchased by a private buyer.

Wonder why they were retired so soon? 23 years isn't that old.

They were not compatible with the Kawasaki Bi-Level C3 so LIRR had no use for them...So they sat for a while somewhere in Connecticut. Then, the people over at Globe, Arizona decided to buy them and use them.

The C1 also did not have a cab car and it wasn't like they could plop on engine on it since the LIRR dual mode are so limited.

I'm glad they found new life out in Rio Grande Scenic Route. I also found out now NJ Transit are selling cars to a few private routes.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived