So Long, Long Island Bus...

Kriston Lewis

If this was posted already in the LIB megathread, apologies, but I saw the clusterfsck at the end and went back to the index.

Nassau: Private company to run LI Bus

By ALFONSO A. CASTILLO

alfonso.castillo@newsday.com

Newsday Article (Requires subscription to a Cablevision service or Newsday)

Nassau County officials say they will turn over Long Island Bus to a private operator and end their relationship with the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which has run the financially beleaguered county bus system for nearly four decades.

The announcement came as County Executive Edward Mangano Wednesday outlined cost-cutting measures that include slashing the county's annual contribution to LI Bus by more than half, from $9.1 million to $4.1 million.

Mangano spokesman Brian Nevin said the cut is an indication of the county's plan to privatize its bus operation. Nassau will receive "best final offers" from three bidders on Monday and will choose from them over the next few weeks, he said.

"The county has decided that funding the MTA's bloated bureaucracy is simply unaffordable for taxpayers," said Nevin, adding that the county's goal is to turn over its bus system to a company that can offer better service and be more efficient than the MTA.

The county must give the MTA 60 days' notice before ending its agreement with the transit agency. Nevin said the county will request a date to meet with the MTA to discuss the matter.

"The bus system belongs to Nassau County and we respect the county's decision to privatize the system," MTA spokesman Jeremy Soffin said.

Earlier this month, the MTA announced plans to eliminate more than half of LI Bus' 48 lines, blaming inadequate funding of the system's $140-million annual budget from Nassau. The proposed cuts to 27 routes would affect about 16,000 of LI Bus' 100,000 daily riders, and come less than a year after the MTA axed 11 lines.

Advocates for maintaining the MTA's operation of LI Bus have said it is unlikely a private company will be able to offer comparable service for less money. But Nevin said one private bidder has said his company would need just $2.1 million to run the county's system. The county owns the fleet of about 300 buses.

Nevin said it is unclear whether privatization would result in fare hikes or service cuts. The base fare now is $2.25.

Because it is not known when a private operator would take over LI Bus, MTA officials said they still plan to hold a public hearing Wednesday at Hofstra University about the proposed service reductions, which would take effect in the summer.

Ryan Lynch, spokesman for the nonprofit Tri-State Transportation Campaign, said he worries about the lack of accountability by a private operator, which could hike fares, cut service and compromise safety without the checks and balances of the MTA.

----

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And Bee-Line under MTA fares, even tho the (MTA) doesn't own or run Bee-Line but fare plays.

Well this is just a shame.. Lets see how privatizing ill work for them... Nassau is being to cheap to the (MTA).

Wow, I didn't think this would happen. That's some stuff right there. I wonder what will happen with the buses that have been purchased for Long Island Bus, will they stay over there or will the (MTA) take them back and send them to the CNG depots?

Wow, I didn't think this would happen. That's some stuff right there. I wonder what will happen with the buses that have been purchased for Long Island Bus, will they stay over there or will the (MTA) take them back and send them to the CNG depots?

Well the Orion V's will stay with Nassau County while the 1700's and 1800's will go back to the MTA. Now what's funny is I see the price of LIB going up about 5 bucks lol

"The county has decided that funding the MTA's bloated bureaucracy is simply unaffordable for taxpayers," said Nevin, adding that the county's goal is to turn over its bus system to a company that can offer better service and be more efficient than the MTA.

Nevins and Mangano have a lot of balls coming out and making that statement. Oh well, good riddance. College Point deserves those buses anyway!

Not true, LI still has the option of paying for the buses.

If they'd do that, then Nassau really is screwed. I mean, if they have enough money to buy those 1700's and 1800's, then they could easily use that money to fund the MTA for continuing LIB-service.

The NGs are staying with Nassau County. I do not believe the system as we know it will be privatized. The state will probably cut money and force Nassau to run the smaller system.

No.. Nassau County doesn't own the NG's the MTA does. So unless Nassau buys the buses the NG's will run under MTA now.

No.. Nassau County doesn't own the NG's the MTA does. So unless Nassau buys the buses the NG's will run under MTA now.

I guess MTA was using those to phase out nassau's buses??

Pretty much. According to East New York, the 1800s were purchased with federal money for the exclusive use of Nassau County, so this will probably get more interesting.

Pretty much. According to East New York, the 1800s were purchased with federal money for the exclusive use of Nassau County, so this will probably get more interesting.

I had a feeling they might do that similar stuff happened in london when walder was there. my aunt told me. I think MTA was bluffing with those cuts they are too terrible!!! the current network even if funded by nassau wasnt talored to ppl travel patterns. The rtes really needed realigning and the buses adjusted towards the rush hr crowd. At the stations I talked with many several tell me the MTA needs a bus there however the bus that is there starts at 8am not catering to the normal commuter. so rtes like N74/73 and N80/81 were missed opportunities. and would have done better ridershipwise if they were geared towards the 9-5 in addition to day workers who arent enough to support LIB?? look at the areas they serve. There is weakness but LIB will be a memory hello to no service after 6pm much like SCT and unreliability as well.

Well, what LIB needs is a better peak schedule and better transfers. If transfers would be better (not only to LIB, but also to LIRR), that would make it easier for people to travel long distances. Also, the LIRR needs MetroCard so people can use their MetroCard in the bus AND the train.

Underserved areas don't need more buses, they need better transfers like I suggested. I mean, 30-60 minute headways isn't even that bad if it would have a good connection to other buses or LIRR.

:tup:

Well, what LIB needs is a better peak schedule and better transfers. If transfers would be better (not only to LIB, but also to LIRR), that would make it easier for people to travel long distances. Also, the LIRR needs MetroCard so people can use their MetroCard in the bus AND the train.

Underserved areas don't need more buses, they need better transfers like I suggested. I mean, 30-60 minute headways isn't even that bad if it would have a good connection to other buses or LIRR.

well the buses already make timed connections with the LIRR!!!!!! but their peak schedule is VERY WEAK AGREED!!!!!!! They really need a discounted transfer system to encourage LIB ridership.

Archived