23 St/Ely in Queens to become 23rd St-Court Sq

Shortline Bus

Looks like the 23rd Street/Ely (E) and (M) along with the Courthouse Sq. (7) will be joining the (G) and becomes Court Square-23rd Street megastation.

In Anticipation of New G to 7 Transfer Connection.

MTA New York City Transit announces that the 23rd Street-Ely Avenue IND Queens Boulevard (E, M) station has been renamed Court Square-23rd Street, in anticipation of the opening of the free transfer connection between the G and the 7 lines at Court Square. Changes in the subway maps and on our automated train announcements are already underway. New station signage will be appearing shortly.

Opened in 1933, the station is located on 44th Drive between 23rd and 21st Streets in Long Island City, Queens. Ely Avenue was the original name of 23rd Street before streets in the borough were given numbers by the Queens Topographical Bureau in 1915. It is the last station in the borough on the Queens Boulevard line before crossing the East River through the 53rd Street tunnel into Manhattan. The station is served by the E train at all times and the M on weekdays (except for the late night hours). There is a moving sidewalk in the passageway connecting the E, M and the G mezzanines.

The debut of the new free connection between the 7 and G lines is expected sometime this spring and will create a unified station complex consisting of the Queens Boulevard E, M, the Flushing 7 and crosstown G lines. When the transfer opens, the 45th Road-Court House Square 7 station will also be renamed Court Square and the G station will drop “Long Island City” (which appears only on the map) from the name. All platforms within the station complex will then have a unifying name."

http://mta.info/mta/news/releases/?en=110317-NYCT30

I was on an (M) today, they still didn't update the announcements. Im still upset they renamed my favorite station name.

But its good that there will soon be an in-system transfer between the (7)/(E)(G)(V)!

it would be funny if they named it 45 road/23 St-Court Square/Ely Avenue ;).

This would be good. It is going to allow people to transfer to IND Queens Boulevard Line trains which was removed when they shortened the (G) to 71 Street.

Do you mean 71 Avenue or 21 street?! :confused:

I was on an (M) today, they still didn't update the announcements. Im still upset they renamed my favorite station name.

But its good that there will soon be an in-system transfer between the (7)/(E)(G)(V)!

wierd because i was on (M) today and the announcement said "this is 23 st Ely transfer is available to the (7)(E) and (G) trains"

Too long! B)

"Opened in 1933, the station is located on 44th Drive between 23rd and 21st Streets in Long Island City, Queens. Ely Avenue was the original name of 23rd Street before streets in the borough were given numbers by the Queens Topographical Bureau in 1915."

Am I missing something... if the street was renamed in 1915 and the station didn't open until 1933 what was the point of Ely Avenue in the station name?

"Opened in 1933, the station is located on 44th Drive between 23rd and 21st Streets in Long Island City, Queens. Ely Avenue was the original name of 23rd Street before streets in the borough were given numbers by the Queens Topographical Bureau in 1915."

Am I missing something... if the street was renamed in 1915 and the station didn't open until 1933 what was the point of Ely Avenue in the station name?

New names don't catch on sometimes, often for many decades. This is why some stations of the old street names still intact (see (7) and (N) in Queens for examples).

Guest lance25

What's wrong with "Court Square-23rd Street"? At least this name actually exists on a real street map, unlike Ely Avenue, which hasn't been around for nearly a hundred years.

People don't like change...what else is new!

I guess those people can opt to continue leaving fair control to transfer if they want to since they are so opposed to change. Seriously though, it is the name of a station, does it really matter? People should focus on things like the service getting you where you need to go, timeliness and cleanliness.

I guess you're right, especially considering that whole (M)/(V) debacle last year.

Yeap....I remember that and I wasn't even on here last year!

I guess those people can opt to continue leaving fair control to transfer if they want to since they are so opposed to change. Seriously though, it is the name of a station, does it really matter? People should focus on things like the service getting you where you need to go, timeliness and cleanliness.

Exactly.....a station name change isn't that important. I'll accept the station name change. Its still the same looking station with a different name!

New names don't catch on sometimes, often for many decades. This is why some stations of the old street names still intact (see (7) and (N) in Queens for examples).

Very true! Sixth Avenue in Manhattan will never be called Avenue of the Americas. What a silly idea that was by whomever....

Archived