Improving the B44 Select Bus Service

'89 Liberty MCI

I have been thinking about this for a while. Just for some background, I know everybody is divided on the implementation of the B44 SBS. Some think it will not work while others think the line is screaming for SBS. I personally think the authority's plan is a good way to start fixing the line, but it should not be the end-all be-all. It's a start because the B44 has been named one of the most unreliable bus routes in the city for years. I've heard of consistent wait times of 20 minutes and worse when there is supposed to be a Limited every 3-6 minutes during rush hours and 7-8 minutes during the mid-day. It would be nice if they extended the route from the get go, but even if they don't I would like to see an extension to the Lower East Side as follows:

Going northbound, make the stop at Roebling Street & South 8 Street. Right turn at Broadway, left at Havemeyer Street, left to get on the Williamsburg Bridge. Stop at Delancey Street & Essex Street. Continue on Delancey, left at Allen Street. Stop at Allen Street & Grand Street. Continue on Allen Street and Pike Street, last stop Pike Street & Cherry Street. Coming back would be even easier since the buses would get right on Roebling Street after getting off the bridge in Brooklyn.

Originally I was thinking of sending it to Grand Street & Chrystie Street for a direct connection to the (:) and (D) trains (and SAS later on, far into the future as it may be), but the problem with that is that it's such a short distance from Allen Street to Chrystie Street, Grand is congested, and in order to turn around the buses would have to run via Grand Street, north on Chrystie Street, west on Broome Street, south on Bowery, east on Grand Street. Operating buses with no passengers on this section of the route would be costly.

So my second idea was to have it make the last stop and U-turn at Allen Street & Grand Street, but this would not be very safe and there isn't a lot of room to do that there. My third idea was to have it make a U-turn at Canal Street, but I figured if it's going to do all that then why not just send it further down Allen Street and Pike Street.

Finally I arrived at the idea to extend the B44 (local and SBS) to Pike Street and Cherry Street because the area looks under-served. It's a long walk to the (F) train at East Broadway & Rutgers Street and the M9 and M22 on Madison Street and East Broadway don't run frequently. The M15 SBS makes the turn at Madison Street & Pike Street but doesn't stop there. If the B44 local and SBS went to Pike & Cherry, they could get ridership from the Rutgers houses, the apartment buildings in the back, and the Pathmark.

People could transfer to/from the M15 SBS at Allen & Grand or walk to/from Chrystie for the (B) and (D). People going to/from Brooklyn could access the (F) directly at Delancey & Essex and transfer to the M14A over there.

This plan would require conversion of the northernmost Manhattan-bound lane on the Williamsburg Bridge into a bus lane (or at least a bus/HOV lane) since the Manhattan-bound traffic crawls at almost all hours of the day.

I have a couple of other ideas for the route but I don't want to draw attention away from this Lower East Side plan. Would this plan be too costly to implement? From what I understand the Feds only cover the cost of making the original Sheepshead Bay - Williamsburg route SBS, so the LES plan would come out of the MTA's pocket. If the plan were implemented after the implementation of the original SBS, it would require the installation of four new machine sets: one at Roebling/South 8th (for the Manhattan-bound stop), two at Delancey/Essex, and one at Pike/Cherry.

They would have to take the one they install in Washington Plaza and move it to Roebling/South 8th as the machines for the southbound stop. At Allen/Grand, the B44 SBS can share stops with the M15 SBS and the machines that are already there can be modified to have a route selector option. So a passenger would have to press either M15 or B44 on the screen depending on what route they want.

I know it's early in the game to talk about all this stuff but do any of you support this idea? How possible is this?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't mean to be a downer, but the B44 is long enough already. Why make it go into Manhattan? If people really need to access the Lower East Side from the B44, they can take the (J)(M)(Z) one stop into the city. I don't see how making it longer would improve it's reliability. Also, the B44 SBS has not even started yet, so I think it's a little early for possible extensions.

I have been thinking about this for a while. Just for some background, I know everybody is divided on the implementation of the B44 SBS. Some think it will not work while others think the line is screaming for SBS. I personally think the authority's plan is a good way to start fixing the line, but it should not be the end-all be-all. It's a start because the B44 has been named one of the most unreliable bus routes in the city for years. I've heard of consistent wait times of 20 minutes and worse when there is supposed to be a Limited every 3-6 minutes during rush hours and 7-8 minutes during the mid-day. It would be nice if they extended the route from the get go, but even if they don't I would like to see an extension to the Lower East Side as follows:

Going northbound, make the stop at Roebling Street & South 8 Street. Right turn at Broadway, left at Havemeyer Street, left to get on the Williamsburg Bridge. Stop at Delancey Street & Essex Street. Continue on Delancey, left at Allen Street. Stop at Allen Street & Grand Street. Continue on Allen Street and Pike Street, last stop Pike Street & Cherry Street. Coming back would be even easier since the buses would get right on Roebling Street after getting off the bridge in Brooklyn.

Originally I was thinking of sending it to Grand Street & Chrystie Street for a direct connection to the (:) and (D) trains (and SAS later on, far into the future as it may be), but the problem with that is that it's such a short distance from Allen Street to Chrystie Street, Grand is congested, and in order to turn around the buses would have to run via Grand Street, north on Chrystie Street, west on Broome Street, south on Bowery, east on Grand Street. Operating buses with no passengers on this section of the route would be costly.

So my second idea was to have it make the last stop and U-turn at Allen Street & Grand Street, but this would not be very safe and there isn't a lot of room to do that there. My third idea was to have it make a U-turn at Canal Street, but I figured if it's going to do all that then why not just send it further down Allen Street and Pike Street.

Finally I arrived at the idea to extend the B44 (local and SBS) to Pike Street and Cherry Street because the area looks under-served. It's a long walk to the (F) train at East Broadway & Rutgers Street and the M9 and M22 on Madison Street and East Broadway don't run frequently. The M15 SBS makes the turn at Madison Street & Pike Street but doesn't stop there. If the B44 local and SBS went to Pike & Cherry, they could get ridership from the Rutgers houses, the apartment buildings in the back, and the Pathmark.

People could transfer to/from the M15 SBS at Allen & Grand or walk to/from Chrystie for the (B) and (D). People going to/from Brooklyn could access the (F) directly at Delancey & Essex and transfer to the M14A over there.

This plan would require conversion of the northernmost Manhattan-bound lane on the Williamsburg Bridge into a bus lane (or at least a bus/HOV lane) since the Manhattan-bound traffic crawls at almost all hours of the day.

I have a couple of other ideas for the route but I don't want to draw attention away from this Lower East Side plan. Would this plan be too costly to implement? From what I understand the Feds only cover the cost of making the original Sheepshead Bay - Williamsburg route SBS, so the LES plan would come out of the MTA's pocket. If the plan were implemented after the implementation of the original SBS, it would require the installation of four new machine sets: one at Roebling/South 8th (for the Manhattan-bound stop), two at Delancey/Essex, and one at Pike/Cherry.

They would have to take the one they install in Washington Plaza and move it to Roebling/South 8th as the machines for the southbound stop. At Allen/Grand, the B44 SBS can share stops with the M15 SBS and the machines that are already there can be modified to have a route selector option. So a passenger would have to press either M15 or B44 on the screen depending on what route they want.

I know it's early in the game to talk about all this stuff but do any of you support this idea? How possible is this?

A few things I can agree and disagree with since I am a resident in the Lower East Side area.

First off, I applaud you for making such interesting ideas, it has really caught my attention. :tup::tup:

I did have a few ideas of my own. One of which was sending the B44 SBS to City Hall via Delancey, Allen and East Broadway via the current M9 Pattern, but that would be too long of a route. The Allen/Delancey Street area would be perfect and there is adequate room for a bus to turn-around considering that some M15s make a U-turn right by Madison & Pike instead of going all the way down South & Pike Streets. For an M15 +SBS+ transfer, the most adequate stops would have to be Allen & Hester going South and Allen & Grand going north.

I do kinda like the sound of Pike-Cherry Streets being the last stop but knowing the MTA, they want a major place for the SBS to make its last stop and Pike-Cherry, not really a good location. While I do like the idea, Pike & Cherry Streets is not really a major transit-friendly hub down there since lots of people just get the M15 Local or the (F) since the walk to the nearest SBS stop is a pretty decent walk.

The Chrystie Street zone is a very busy area, I dont think bus service over there is a really good idea, it'll be an M15-like issue with all the chinatown buses going through that street, Fung Wah being the most busiest out of them. Drivers on the (D) shuttle have a hard time going through that area alone. Plus connecting it with the (B) and (D) is a bit redundant since the (B) connects with the B44, however, this would be superb during the weekends.

To send the local through these parts is even a worse idea, the local is a good long distance from Sheepshead Bay up to Willy B Plaza alone. Sending it up to these parts of the L.E.S would probably make it beat the B68 in terms of the longest local lines in Brooklyn.

Along with my idea of sending it to City Hall, my other idea was also too long and that was to send the route straight to South Street Seaport where they can get direct access to the buses. They can go via South Street, left on Pike/Allen, right on Delancey. The only problem with that other than the length of the route is the turnaround for the buses. My viewpoint of these two ideas is for this service to connect with many major routes along the area, you got the M15 Local/SBS, M9, M14A, M22 and the M103, but again, these plans make the route very long.

As for your question, I'm not sure how to answer that. Hopefully if someone sees this thread, they can answer that question for ya

Just my 2 cents :tup:

I don't mean to be a downer, but the B44 is long enough already. Why make it go into Manhattan? If people really need to access the Lower East Side from the B44, they can take the (J)(M)(Z) one stop into the city. I don't see how making it longer would improve it's reliability. Also, the B44 SBS has not even started yet, so I think it's a little early for possible extensions.

The only reasons I can see him sending it down to the L.E.S is to have a direct connection with several bus routes including the M15 +SBS+ and to appease the riders that once rode the B39. It's a pretty smart idea.

A few things I can agree and disagree with since I am a resident in the Lower East Side area.

First off, I applaud you for making such interesting ideas, it has really caught my attention. :tup::tup:

I did have a few ideas of my own. One of which was sending the B44 SBS to City Hall via Delancey, Allen and East Broadway via the current M9 Pattern, but that would be too long of a route. The Allen/Delancey Street area would be perfect and there is adequate room for a bus to turn-around considering that some M15s make a U-turn right by Madison & Pike instead of going all the way down South & Pike Streets. For an M15 +SBS+ transfer, the most adequate stops would have to be Allen & Hester going South and Allen & Grand going north.

I do kinda like the sound of Pike-Cherry Streets being the last stop but knowing the MTA, they want a major place for the SBS to make its last stop and Pike-Cherry, not really a good location. While I do like the idea, Pike & Cherry Streets is not really a major transit-friendly hub down there since lots of people just get the M15 Local or the (F) since the walk to the nearest SBS stop is a pretty decent walk.

The Chrystie Street zone is a very busy area, I dont think bus service over there is a really good idea, it'll be an M15-like issue with all the chinatown buses going through that street, Fung Wah being the most busiest out of them. Drivers on the (D) shuttle have a hard time going through that area alone. Plus connecting it with the (:) and (D) is a bit redundant since the (B) connects with the B44, however, this would be superb during the weekends.

To send the local through these parts is even a worse idea, the local is a good long distance from Sheepshead Bay up to Willy B Plaza alone. Sending it up to these parts of the L.E.S would probably make it beat the B68 in terms of the longest local lines in Brooklyn.

Along with my idea of sending it to City Hall, my other idea was also too long and that was to send the route straight to South Street Seaport where they can get direct access to the buses. They can go via South Street, left on Pike/Allen, right on Delancey. The only problem with that other than the length of the route is the turnaround for the buses. My viewpoint of these two ideas is for this service to connect with many major routes along the area, you got the M15 Local/SBS, M9, M14A, M22 and the M103, but again, these plans make the route very long.

As for your question, I'm not sure how to answer that. Hopefully if someone sees this thread, they can answer that question for ya

Just my 2 cents :tup:

The only reasons I can see him sending it down to the L.E.S is to have a direct connection with several bus routes including the M15 +SBS+ and to appease the riders that once rode the B39. It's a pretty smart idea.

The line basically goes almost from one end of Brooklyn to the other, so why make it any longer? Sure more connections would be nice, but the big reason why it is so unreliable in the first place is because of the fact that it is such a long route already. Most of the traffic that it gets caught up in I would imagine comes before it reaches the Junction, just seeing how densely populated certain areas of Flatbush and such are, so even with SBS, you're still going to have some congestion issues. Extending the route even further will defeat everything done to make the route more reliable. If anything I'd extend the (B49) further north.

The line basically goes almost from one end of Brooklyn to the other, so why make it any longer? Sure more connections would be nice, but the big reason why it is so unreliable in the first place is because of the fact that it is such a long route already. Most of the traffic that it gets caught up in I would imagine comes before it reaches the Junction, just seeing how densely populated certain areas of Flatbush and such are, so even with SBS, you're still going to have some congestion issues. Extending the route even further will defeat everything done to make the route more reliable. If anything I'd extend the (B49) further north.

Well of course, we're not saying that these ideas should happen, its just our 2 cents. I already knew that sending the routes to Manhattan would make the routes much more longer and unreliable. Thats why we both kinda had the idea of sending the route pretty much via the old B39 route itself, which doesnt make the route any much longer at all.

Well of course, we're not saying that these ideas should happen, its just our 2 cents. I already knew that sending the routes to Manhattan would make the routes much more longer and unreliable. Thats why we both kinda had the idea of sending the route pretty much via the old B39 route itself, which doesnt make the route any much longer at all.

In that case then why not extend the (B49)? I don't know where I'd extend it to, but since it travels mostly on Ocean Ave., it appears to not suffer from the same level of congestion as the (B44) does, although it does have its moments.

In that case then why not extend the (B49)? I don't know where I'd extend it to, but since it travels mostly on Ocean Ave., it appears to not suffer from the same level of congestion as the (B44) does, although it does have its moments.

While you're right about that, the only problem is that the B49 wouldnt have a stop inside the terminal or anywhere around it. The Q59 I believe has taken over what was once the B39 bus stop and service at Willy B Plaza is already high enough inside that terminal. Plus also factoring in the congestion level at that plaza alone, it would be a total pain for a bus to stop anywhere around there.

If the B49 would've had its own terminal inside Willy B Plaza, then sure, that would totally work out. But I dont think they'd make a new stop there just for that route.

It's true that the B44 could make the U-turn at Allen & Grand, but Pike & Cherry is not too far away and is in an under-served area with densely populated high-rises and a commercial pharmacy, so it can't hurt to send the bus down there. It would only add 3 minutes max assuming the terminal was Allen & Grand at first.

S78: I didn't mean to say that making it longer will improve the reliability. Making it longer may compromise the reliability, but if they do what I said they should (bus lane on the bridge) there's no reason why it should fail.

Also as of last June there are no non-express buses connecting Brooklyn to Manhattan while the Bronx and Queens have non-express buses that do just this. And why not take a step towards turning SBS into a network? They could even make it the same as the subway, where once you swipe to enter the system, you don't swipe again until you exit.

So if I want to take the M15 SBS to the B44 SBS, I pay at the M15 stop and take a receipt, keep the receipt for when I get on the B44 (instead of swiping the card at the M15/B44 transfer point) and then get rid of it once that second leg of the trip is over. A fare inspector would have to check the time on the receipt according to a set of rules and issue a fine if there has been an abuse. I was thinking it would be abuse if the current time is >2.5 hours after the time printed on the receipt, but there may need to be an increase in that time window to account for whatever needs to be accounted for.

The reason I brought this whole thing up is that some have said that the B44 SBS is a bad idea since the change is not worth the projected time savings due to the fact that people don't ride the B44 for very long distances. It's also been criticized since they're moving the N/B route from New York to Rogers, which eliminates direct LTD service to Kings County Hospital.

Now I disagree with this because ( 1 ) I believe more time will be saved per average passenger trip than is projected and ( 2 ) according to passenger schedules the current LTD barely saves any time going up New York Avenue (even on Nostrand between U and Flatbush!) compared to the local. It also has to deal with the turn on Farragut Road, the turn on Fulton Street, back-to-back stops on Fulton Street, and Fulton Street traffic itself.

Also the SBS should be fast enough to save a good amount of time even if someone has to walk or transfer to another bus to take them from Rogers to New York. Hell, they could even change to the (2) or (5) at the Junction so they can stay on Nostrand and remain closer to New York Avenue. This is important for somebody who lives in the Bay or Midwood and works at KCH. Also this whole project will improve the reliability of the line. On the other hand that could be accomplished with proper traffic direction but we all know it'll be cold day in Hell before city agencies do everything they're supposed to and more.

But either way, I don't know the full story since I don't live in the neighborhoods along the B44 (although I have visited). The comments I disagree with are from people who live or have lived along the line so I probably shouldn't doubt their validity. To some extent. Criticism is good because it could lead to previously unforeseen progress.

Now extending the route to a big destination or a big transfer point would help because more people would ride it longer distances and take advantage of more time savings. In theory and assuming they put the Manhattan-bound bus lane on the Williamsburg Bridge since if they didn't do that before sending an authority bus in passenger service over there again it would be suicide. 15 minutes minimum to enter Manhattan via that bridge most of the day is ridiculous and no self-respecting bus with passengers on it should go through that mess, let alone a bus in BRT service.

Again I would like to see a LES extension because it would join two SBS lines and help create a SBS network, kill off some transfers (makes commutes easier and makes the system more attractive, both of which should increase ridership and revenue), and involves a densely populated area with at least two heavy bus routes and two heavy subway stations. Also most of the jobs in the boroughs have been going to Brooklyn so why not give Manhattan dwellers an easier way to get there by making the B44 an interborough BRT line?

Cait Sith: I'm not sure the big terminal for a SBS route is that much of an issue. The N/B M15 finishes at public housing projects and the depot in East Harlem and the S/B B44 finishes at a nursing home in a quiet neighborhood dominated by houses.

The only change I'd implement is to keep the (B44) SBS routing the same as the local routing

The only reason the (MTA) claims that the (B44) SBS Northbound must serve Rogers/bedford between Fargut and Fulton is that residents along NY Avenue will scream about losing parking spots and thus will have to become 1-way.

Sorry but living in NYC, mass transit is a top need and if the B44 SBS went up, Rogers/Bedford, many riders particuarly those at Kings County Hopstial will go nuts.

Best solution in end of the day is just turn NY Avenue into 1-way street between Glenwood and Fulton. However I would no longer turn the Wiiliamsburg bound (B44)on Fulton but instead on Atlantic Ave.

The (B44's) often gets delayed on Fulton from double-parked cars.

Fulton is only about a 1-block walk from Atlantic anyhow.

Not to mention the B44 directly serve the Nostrand LIRR station as well.

That the best solution for all.

While you're right about that, the only problem is that the B49 wouldnt have a stop inside the terminal or anywhere around it. The Q59 I believe has taken over what was once the B39 bus stop and service at Willy B Plaza is already high enough inside that terminal. Plus also factoring in the congestion level at that plaza alone, it would be a total pain for a bus to stop anywhere around there.

If the B49 would've had its own terminal inside Willy B Plaza, then sure, that would totally work out. But I dont think they'd make a new stop there just for that route.

Yeah, but I never said anything about extending the (B49) to the Plaza. What I said was I didn't know where I'd extend it to. And extending it to the Plaza seems like overkill based on how many lines are already running out of there. Perhaps that bus could be extended over the Williamsburg bridge?? The line is used, but no where near the way the (B44) is. The thing is where it would run from to get there and the service would certainly require SBS IMO, although I don't know at what level. I wouldn't have it replicate the (B39) fully though since it would be SBS.

The only reason the (MTA) claims that the (B44) SBS Northbound must serve Rogers/bedford between Fargut and Fulton is that residents along NY Avenue will scream about losing parking spots and thus will have to become 1-way.

Sorry but living in NYC, mass transit is a top need and if the B44 SBS went up, Rogers/Bedford, many riders particuarly those at Kings County Hopstial will go nuts.

Best solution in end of the day is just turn NY Avenue into 1-way street between Glenwood and Fulton. However I would no longer turn the Wiiliamsburg bound (B44)on Fulton but instead on Atlantic Ave.

The (B44's) often gets delayed on Fulton from double-parked cars.

Fulton is only about a 1-block walk from Atlantic anyhow.

Not to mention the B44 directly serve the Nostrand LIRR station as well.

That the best solution for all.

That would be the ideal solution, but, since I doubt they will be willing to compromise and change NY Avenue to become one-way, I think this is what should be done:

B44 local rerouted

Southbound:

Current route->Bergen Street->Bedford Avenue->Flatbush Avenue->Current route

Northbound:

Current route->Flatbush Avenue->Rogers Avenue->Bedford Avenue->Current route

B44 +SBS+ routed

Southbound:

Northbound:

Current route->Flatbush Avenue->Rogers Avenue->Bedford Avenue->Current route (basically, the route it is planned to take)

B49 rerouted to terminate at the Nostrand Avenue (A)(C) station:

Southbound:

Nostrand Avenue->Foster Avenue->Current route

Northbound:

Current route->Foster Avenue->New York Avenue

Basically, the B49 and B44 would be switched in that area. B49 riders would be able to access Nostrand Avenue (A)(C), which is an express station, and it would no longer parallel the (:)(Q).

In addition, since Kings County Hospital would be deprived of limited-stop service, maybe the B49 limited could be expanded, since it would no longer serve the same area as the (B)(Q).

I think the most important thing is keeping the local and limited together. In this case, riders going towards Bedford-Stuyvesant would still have the combined headways offered by the local and +SBS+ buses.

That would be the ideal solution, but, since I doubt they will be willing to compromise and change NY Avenue to become one-way, I think this is what should be done:

B44 local rerouted

Southbound:

Northbound:

Current route->Flatbush Avenue->Rogers Avenue->Bedford Avenue->Current route

B44 +SBS+ routed

Southbound:

Northbound:

Current route->Flatbush Avenue->Rogers Avenue->Bedford Avenue->Current route (basically, the route it is planned to take)

Southbound:

Nostrand Avenue->Foster Avenue->Current route

Northbound:

Current route->Foster Avenue->New York Avenue

Basically, the B49 and B44 would be switched in that area.

I don't know about that one... Seems like too many detours if you ask me. If I recall correctly from the map, doesn't the (B49) terminate by the (S) shuttle??

Yes it does, but I don't think it is too much detouring (especially since the northbound +SBS+ is already supposed to be detouring, which would split the local from the +SBS+).

The problem is that some ridership might shift from the B44 to the B49, and the MTA is trying to accomplish the opposite.

Yes it does, but I don't think it is too much detouring (especially since the northbound +SBS+ is already supposed to be detouring, which would split the local from the +SBS+).

The problem is that some ridership might shift from the B44 to the B49, and the MTA is trying to accomplish the opposite.

That's also another problem with your detour, plus you have to different kinds of folks IMO on the (B44) and (B49). I always found the (B49) to be a bit more civilized and nicer than the (B44). Could have something to do with the college types and the areas it goes through.

Maybe it is because the B49 doesn't go north of Fulton Street, so it doesn't get the Bed-Stuy element that the B44 gets.

So if they have a problem with the people that ride the B44, they can take the train, and then take a crosstown bus (B3, B36, etc) to get home.

Personally, if riders feel that they have to deal with the worse riders on the B44, they can consider it a tradeoff: A faster, but slightly more unpleasant ride.

Maybe it is because the B49 doesn't go north of Fulton Street, so it doesn't get the Bed-Stuy element that the B44 gets.

So if they have a problem with the people that ride the B44, they can take the train, and then take a crosstown bus (B3, B36, etc) to get home.

Personally, if riders feel that they have to deal with the worse riders on the B44, they can consider it a tradeoff: A faster, but slightly more unpleasant ride.

LOL... I suppose... :eek:

Keep the 49 @ Franklin av...

That immediate area has already gotten screwed over w/ the 48 no longer going down to Empire... don't need the 49 removed in its entirety from Franklin av... the first stop is one of that route's major trip generators

That's also another problem with your detour, plus you have to different kinds of folks IMO on the (B44) and (B49). I always found the (B49) to be a bit more civilized and nicer than the (B44). Could have something to do with the college types and the areas it goes through.

Very simple.

After the B49 transports KCC students to/from the subway (Sheepshead Bay), guess what... most the riders on the B49 tend to be more, the elderly folk... on both halves of the route (Ocean av portion), (Bedford/Rogers portion)....

You get all kinds on the B44... the hood crowd, the middle aged folk, the rowdy schoolkids, the (crankier) elderly folks, etc etc....

Archived