Head of MTA announces resignation

mark1447

The head of the MTA, Jay Walder has announced his resignation effective in October.

Walder joined the MTA in October 2009, and in less than two years led an unprecedented overhaul of how the MTA operates, bringing fiscal stability and advancing a series of projects that are improving the daily experience of the MTA's 8.5 million riders.

"I want to thank Governors Cuomo and former Governor Paterson for the honor of serving the people of New York State," Walder said. "The MTA's transportation system is the foundation of the metropolitan region and we are fortunate to have thousands of dedicated men and women who work so hard to provide these critically important transportation services to millions of people each and every day. I believe that we have accomplished quite a lot in a short period, with the support of two Governors, the Mayor, a hard-working Board and many others."

MORE:

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news%2Flocal%2Fnew_york&id=8263709

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hate him for laying off all those NYCT employees, but can't believe he bothered coming over to LI for all the stuff about LIB.

And he said himself a food/drink ban in the subway system wasn't viable.

Who don't you hate... B) lol

But seriously this was a no brainer for him. I'm sure he's getting paid far more for far less stress. Whoever takes his place needs to work on getting service improved. Hopefully some of the lines that are being targeted can be saved.

Well the only i thing i do agree with him is improving some of the lines in the bus and subway system.. Even combining the (Mx) / (V) into one which BRINGs ridership along the old (Mx) and (V).

Tho eliminated 1 day Fun Pass and a few other stuff isn't what I liked. If he wanted swipers off the station he could of done something else. Even cutting some service. But then again the (MTA) needs to save.

2 years is not alot of time to grade Walder but i just list the pros and cons of his tenture as (MTA) boss.

Cons

Unfair method of conducting the June 2010 Doomsday Budget Cuts particuarly in Brooklyn the only boro he did not attend in person during the pre-hearings.

At times being unfair to the (MTA) unions in addressing the budget crisis.

Did not go far enough IMO into cutting 'the fat' such as management jobs that were redudant or had political influence.

Ongoing problem in addressing GO aka service changes due to ongoing maintence work as weekend ridership is increasing.

Cut back on cleaning that resulted in slightly more dirter trains and buses.

The fiasco of opearting subway, bus and LIRR during the Christmas Weekend (dec. 26/27) 2010 Blizzard.

Pros

Mergering the two least used full service lines in the (M) and (V) and turning it into a single more productive one . Ridership has exceed oringal goals as it provided riders in Bushwick, Williamsburg Ridgewood and Middle Village a 1-seat ride to/from Midtown Manhattan for 1st time in nearly 35 years.

Countdown Clocks

Can a few redudant and useless jobs particuarly in upper management.

This is one of the few times ever a (MTA) Chairman has done this to save $$$.

No other major cuts after the June 2010 Doomsday reductions. A few spare service increases i.e return of full time (M50) 7-day service and rush hour X37/38 service has occurred in recent months.

Overall I give him a "C-minus" grade for his tenure. Reactions?

The guy was a total fail at his job...he had no business troubling any of the subway and bus lines and laying off bus operator personnel only to rehire them the fall pick.

I'm glad he's going. I can only hope the next guy's not a total ass. Hell, I don't think I can even give the guy an F, that'll make the F-rating lower than what it actually is!

2 years is not alot of time to grade Walder but i just list the pros and cons of his tenture as (MTA) boss.

Cons

Unfair method of conducting the June 2010 Doomsday Budget Cuts particuarly in Brooklyn the only boro he did not attend in person dueing the hearings.

Did not go far enough in cutting 'the fat' such as management jobs that were redudant or had political influence.

Ongoing problem in addressing GO aka service changes due to ongoing maintence work as weekend ridership is increasing.

The fiscao of opearting subway, bus and LIRR during the Christmas Weekend (dec. 26/27) 2010 Blizzard.

Pros

Mergering the two least full service lines in the (M) and (V) and turning it into a single more productive. Ridership has exceed oringal goals.

Countdown Clocks

No other major cuts after the June 2010 Doomsday reductions.

Slightly dirtier trains... LOL What's scary is that these are relatively new trains and they're just as dirty as the old ones. :eek: Scary if you ask me, but I'd give him a B. He's accomplished more than most have during his short time and had they not went on a rampage to cut service all over the place, I would've given him a higher grade. We have to remember the "mess" that he came into... Think Obama folks Obama!! It's all Bush's fault dammit! :mad: LOLOL

The guy was a total fail at his job...he had no business troubling any of the subway and bus lines and laying off bus operator personnel only to rehire them the fall pick.

I'm glad he's going. I can only hope the next guy's not a total ass. Hell, I don't think I can even give the guy an F, that'll make the F-rating lower than what it actually is!

You do realize that if we kept everything the same for Rail and Bus we could end up seeing more fare hikes.

Im not really bothered by the service cuts.

Maybe in the future when we see some financial improvements we could see an undo to some routes.

Slightly dirtier trains... LOL What's scary is that these are relatively new trains and they're just as dirty as the old ones. :eek: Scary if you ask me, but I'd give him a B. He's accomplished more than most have during his short time and had they not went on a rampage to cut service all over the place, I would've given him a higher grade. We have to remember the "mess" that he came into... Think Obama folks Obama!! It's all Bush's fault dammit! :mad: LOLOL

True. Walder came into a war zone just as the guy he replaced was leaving. I took the doomsday cuts/budget crisis into account in his tenure. A big plus was that Walder kept his promise of no other major subway/bus cuts after June 2010.

What lowered his grade to a "C-C-minus' IMO was his handling of the X-Mas Blizzard and also the unfair methods in screwing Brooklyn the most with the June '10 Doomsday Cuts.

Thus my takes.

You do realize that if we kept everything the same for Rail and Bus we could end up seeing more fare hikes.

To add onto that, people seem to forget that we WERE going to see a fare hike this year, but that was stopped by Gov. Cuomo.

Cons

Unfair method of conducting the June 2010 Doomsday Budget Cuts particuarly in Brooklyn the only boro he did not attend in person dueing the hearings.

Did not go far enough in cutting 'the fat' such as management jobs that were redudant or had political influence.

The fiscao of opearting subway, bus and LIRR during the Christmas Weekend (dec. 26/27) 2010 Blizzard.

Pros

Mergering the two least used full service lines in the (M) and (V) and turning it into a single more productive one . Ridership has exceed oringal goals as it provided riders in Bushwick, Williamsburg Ridgewood and Middle Village a 1-seat ride to/from Midtown Manhattan for 1st time in nearly 35 years.

Countdown Clocks

No other major cuts after the June 2010 Doomsday reductions. A few spare service increases i.e return of full time (M50) 7-day service and rush hour X37/38 service has occurred in recent months.

I would have to agree with you on this one. The guy wasn't as bad as people want to make him out to be. He had some tough decisions to make. Many of them were crucial to MTA's solvency. Many were not.

People are only looking at his tenure on the surface, when there is a whole other side the general public never see. Could he have done better? I believe so, but I guess we will never really know. He was far from the best, but it could have been much worse.

Good riddence ya bald prick!

Hate to bring news but Mr. Walder is not losing sleep. As matter of fact he going to make a ton of more $$$ than most of us adults on the boards will make in salary. Probably as head of this international company at least $1 Million a year or more.

Not a fan of Mr.Walder but just making a point.

A bit of a copout; Walder never had to face the unions in labor negotiations. He could have at least finished the job he started, as I see it.

Agreed:tup:. He could have at least finished the labor talk with the transit unions and get a long term CBA before taking that multi million dollar a year CEO job.

Hopefully he get no further monies after Oct. since he in middle of contract.

Lets see....ummmm. Walder's contract six years, seems there is four left on it. Invoke Taylor law on him, seize his assets, 2 for 1 penalty so he now actually owes us the taxpayers $2.5 Million is fines. Glad to see him go, any chance the rest, including the MTA Board will go with him?

Hong Kong: this person is non returnable, you stuck with him. Only returnable on slow boat in cargo hold.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/21/jay-walder-m-t-a-chief-resigns-suddenly/

Jay Walder, M.T.A. Chief, Resigns Suddenly

By ANDY NEWMAN

Updated, 5:34 p.m. | Jay H. Walder, the chairman of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority since 2009, is resigning to take over the MTR Corporation, a transportation company based in Hong Kong, the authority announced on Thursday.

A native New Yorker, Mr. Walder, 52, was selected by Gov. David A. Paterson in July 2009 to run the authority, which operates the city’s bus and subway systems and the Metro-North Railroad and the Long Island Rail Road. He will leave office on Oct. 21, the authority said.

“I believe that we have accomplished quite a lot in a short period, with the support of two governors, the mayor, a hard-working board and many others,” Mr. Walder said in a statement.

His departure was entirely his own decision, according to a person familiar with the matter, who was not authorized to speak publicly. The person described Mr. Walder’s new post as the type of job that he simply could not refuse. The fact that he will remain in office for another three months also seems to indicate that the move was voluntary and that Mr. Walder was not being pushed out.

The MTR Corporation operates a commuter-rail service in Hong Kong as well as intercity rail services between Hong Kong and Beijing, Shanghai and Guangdong. It also runs rail systems in London, Stockholm, and Melbourne, Australia.

Mr. Walder came to the Metropolitan Transportation Authority from London, where he had worked on overhauling that city’s aging mass transit system, to global acclaim.

Read more at the link at the top.

(hallelujah! B))

Archived