Hurricane Irene

Abba

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard about it after that small tremor incident. I guess I can't be too scared or shock, to me it's just another rain storm heading this way...just windier.

I believe it would presumably be still a Category I hurricane when it reaches the Jersey shore?

I heard about it after that small tremor incident. I guess I can't be too scared or shock, to me it's just another rain storm heading this way...just windier.

I believe it would presumably be still a Category I hurricane when it reaches the Jersey shore?

As the offical NYCTF "Weatherman," smile:cool: this is what is likely to go down. the East coast of Fla. from say Miami-Palm Down Cape Carenal(site of the NASA space center)is the biggest threat as of this morning.

According to the weather channel/other news sources this is the probably track of Irene. The storm is suppose to hit say Miami or Palm Beach as a Cat. 3-Cat. 4 storm by Friday morning. Then the storms passes by the Carolinas by Sunday Morning and hate to say it the NYC/NJ Metro area by Monday 8/28/11 as a probably cat. 1 or 'tropical storm.'

Of course even getting to our region as a possible Cat. 1 or Tropical Storm, Monday could be a wash out day and heavy 75-85 mph. Thus If any plans to say Long Island (Jones Beach) or NJ Shore, it be better to cancel.;)

We shall see what happens.

Weather.com and a lot of other news sources are still saying Florida won't take any hits.

Anyways, the Marlins rescheduled for a doubleheader today against the Reds instead of playing to Reds tomorrow. They will fly to Philly immediately after the game in hopes to beat the storm.

Weather.com and a lot of other news sources are still saying Florida won't take any hits.

Anyways, the Marlins rescheduled for a doubleheader today against the Reds instead of playing to Reds tomorrow. They will fly to Philly immediately after the game in hopes to beat the storm.

Woops my bad sorry you right, Yankeespwnmets:o. I was reading the forecasts from yesterday morning that the East coast of Fla. from Miami-Daytona could have got a 'hit' from Irene. Still that area of the state could keep dump with heavy rains though.

Now the revised forecasts this morning 8/24/11 says likely now, the probable location to get 'hit' from here is somewhere near the NC coast. Mainly cities like Jacksonville, NC, Cape Hettrras, NC or even further north, Va. Beach. What is still correct though is the Mid Atlantic by Monday including metro NYC could get the impact of a then probably TS Irene.

Sorry guys.

Actually on Stormpulse it shows that NYC will get hit by Irene when it's already a weak Category 1 Hurricane. However Hurricane Irene is 200 miles wide by it's radius, so it's diameter is 400 miles. Therefore NYC will experience rain and wind from the Hurricane as of now. I doubt the wind would be faster then tropical storm strength though. However I do expect flooding, and power outages.

Its gona be a cat 2 when it passes Atlantic City.

Now all we need to see is the swarm of locust.

True my friend. This year alone in 2011, every weather/'mother nature' event, i.e blizzards/snowstorms, frigid cold, brutal heat, nor'easters, torandos, earthquakes and now hurricanes has hit NYC. Some cities/towns around the planet have never seen even some of these events.

2011 is a year to be never forgoten in that aspect if Irene comes near to our region.:eek:

Hurricane Irene just shifted directions. It's now going to hit Boston along with Long Island, and everything else in between. In fact I made a joke with the hurricane's destination.

Q: Why did Hurricane Irene decide to attack Boston instead of NYC?

A: Because Hurricane Irene is a Yankees fan. :(

Hurricane Irene just shifted directions. It's now going to hit Boston along with Long Island, and everything else in between. In fact I made a joke with the hurricane's destination.

Roadcrusier relax slightly for moments. Hurricanes are a stubborn animal and can always make slight 'last minute' change in directions. Still not sure what will happen.

Still this change is not good news for the entire mid atlantic/northeast coast though. Just this morning NYC was suppose to be middle of a cat.1 storm. Now it could be at least a cat. 2 and Boston/Cape Cod getting a direct 'hit.'

Here a statement from a Weather Channel Forecaster on the upcoming storm.

http://www.weather.com/weather/hurricanecentral/article/hurricane-irene-major-northeast-threats_2011-08-23

Joke sucked, I'm not going to lie.

Anyways, it does seem indeed that it'll hit Boston and Long Island more then likely, but that does not mean we aren't still going to get hit.

Joke sucked, I'm not going to lie.

Anyways, it does seem indeed that it'll hit Boston and Long Island more then likely, but that does not mean we aren't still going to get hit.

We WILL get hit. Damn thing is too wide for us not to.

Current forecasts take it over Boston 8PM Sunday as a Category 1, travelling a route in between Gloria's and Bob's.

If we do indeed get hit with a Category 1 Hurricane, would all

subway and bus service be suspended?

Going back to 1851, there have been only 5 hurricanes whose centers of circulation have passed within 75 miles of New York City. The last hurricane within that distance from New York City was Hurricane Gloria 26 years ago.

That's true. I'd rather see volcanoes and shit though. I like lava.

There is no way the East Coast would ever be affected by a nearby volcano. Volcanos on the other side of the country or other side of the world could affect our weather, but no volcano would be shooting lava on NYC anytime in the near future.

Hopefully it takes a turn out to the east and maybe we won't take as hard as an impact as we expected

Well Irene just passed Nasssu in the Bahamas and she did alot of damage. This morning updated forecast (8/24) is that she is expected to pass by the NC coast by Friday Night-Early Saturday.

So looks like Fla. 'east coast' i.e Miami-Daytona other than heavy rains and winds will miss her.

Archived