Water Main Break Disrupting 6th & 8th Avenue Service

trainspot12

According to the MTA Website:

Water Main Break Impacting A, B, C, and D Train Service

Customers using A, B, C and D train service should expect severe service disruptions due to a water main break in the vicinity of 110th Street and Central Park West. Both B and C trains are suspended from end to end. A train service is suspended between West 145th Street and Columbus Circle and D trains are mot running between 161st Street, in the Bronx and either Pacific Street, Brooklyn or West Fourth Street in Manhattan.

Reports from twitter that between 8-10 feet of water is present within 103rd Street and 110th Street as well as photos of 125th Street tracks under water. This is going to be one hell of a Rush Hour (as it is already hectic).

Maintainers responded quickly and discovered eight to ten feet of water in the system between 103rd Street and 110th Street and nearly four feet of water as far north as 125th Street. Pump trains have been moved into position and the permanent pumps located in the 125th Street Station are moving about 6,000 gallons per minute out of the system.

http://www.mta.info/news/stories/?story=388

This is a lot worse than I thought!

Its crazy, I got on the (A) at Metro-Tech, and each car was jammed. People started huffin and puffin, as usual, when the conductor said the (A) was running local. Even the trains going toward Manhattan looked jam packed. Good luck traveling home and to the City tonight.

Yep, it's really bad. They even reverted some (5)s up 7th to deal with the CPW load. CPW is still not restored and all CPW trains are split up. Every single 7th avenue local was jam packed.

BE ADVISED, I was on a (5) that originally was headed to Eastchester Dyre via 7th avenue local, but they reverted it to a (1) to Van Cortlandt. For all you super buffs, happy hunting, cause I doubt that was the only R142 (1). The conductor set the announcements, and destination screens.

The thing is, it seems pretty severe because this has been happening since around 2 (maybe even sooner).

WABC-TV article from earlier. As of this writing, according to the MTA site:

(A) continues to be split, running from 168th-207th uptown (allowing those to reach the (1) and vice versa) and terminating from Brooklyn/Queens at Columbus Circle.

There is still NO (B) or (C) service at this time.

(D) from Coney Island is not running as far as 34th, and now running the normal Bronx route from 205th to 161st, terminating at 161 to allow passengers to at least get to the (4) there.

It made complete sense given the circumstances to covert some (5) trains to (1)s given the circumstances.

Even if they get this fully cleaned up in time, tomorrow is going to be rough.

I was caught in this mess. Yankee game today, so there were a ENORMOUS, and I mean ENORMOUS crowd at 161 st on the (D). I actually took the (BX6) to Prospect Avenue, got on a (5) to 125 St and took the (M15) Select Bus Service. The west side and (4) were crowded to the point where you would need to wait for five trains to handle the load. There should be more commuter rails perhaps running along with the (D) and (4) in case of emergency like this

While I know everyone is focusing on the Central Park West disaster and the swapping of the (F) and (M), a train with problems at Flatbush Ave actually forced (2) and (5) trains to turn around at Church Avenue for about 20 minutes.

This is one hell of a way to start off the week.

How many trains turned around at church? They never seem to want to turn trains there.What made them do that today?

How many trains turned around at church? They never seem to want to turn trains there.What made them do that today?

I'm sure only one train actually turned at Church. It just stayed outside the station waiting to relay for about 15 minutes or so. At least, I think that was the only train to turn at Church Avenue. I don't even think that train relaying at Church was part of plan. The train I was on (the one that relayed at Church) was delayed all the way from President St down; I think the congestion was just coming from trains ahead of us being stuck outside of Flatbush, and not relaying at Church, because I definitely saw some trains coming in-service from Flatbush before and during the time that single train relayed at Church.

Archived