Renaming Stations??

Broad St. Belle

Not shocking. Some neighborhoods have been lobbying to change station names for years.

- Andy

Yeah, I found an article on it. I don't know if it's such a good thing :confused:

"Subway stations for sale soon?

By Matthew Sweeney, amNewYork Staff Writer | msweeney@am-ny.com

August 7, 2008

Imagine Mickey Mouse greeting passengers as they step onto the platform at a "Disney Times Square" station or "CitiStation" beneath Citigroup Center at 53rd Street and Lexington Avenue."

In the midst of a financial crisis, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority is looking at corporate sponsorship of subway stations to help fill its massive budget gap.

"We're looking to see what more we can do to raise revenue through station advertising," MTA CEO Elliot Sander told amNewYork.

Sponsorship, little more than a sketch on paper at this point, could become the most visible component of the agency's aggressive push to increase advertising revenue, which currently brings in a little more than $100 million a year."

Changing it for sponsorship reasons, no that's not a good thing. 5th Av-53rd St should stay 5th Av-53rd St. However, Chauncey St on the (J)/(Z) should be Rockaway Av, because that's where the exit is (just as an example). If that was the case, it'd probably be different. But, Disney Times Square...bad idea IMO.

If citi wants to plaster a station with ads, that's one thing, but re-naming it... no. How about station maintenance be sponsored by nearby companies, in exchange free advertising. On the outside of elevated ROW you could put billboards, how about PATH style ads? Re-name for profit would NOT be a good thing, but sponsorship of upkeep i think would make the community stronger and get more involved in improving things.

- Andy

Changing it for sponsorship reasons, no that's not a good thing. 5th Av-53rd St should stay 5th Av-53rd St. However, Chauncey St on the (J)/(Z) should be Rockaway Av, because that's where the exit is (just as an exampe). If that was the case, it'd probably be different. But, Disney Times Square...bad idea IMO.

I didn't think so. If 42nd. street was to become "Disney Times Square" I could only imagine the changes that station would undergo. It would probably be seriously colorful and have a whole bunch of characters running around for the first couple of months or having Mickey greeting passengers as they mentioned..ugh. I wouldn't mind Goofy though :)

Hm, yeah, no, sponsorship renaming is not a good idea.

"Ely Avenue. This is a Manhattan bound (E) train. The next stop is Citistation."

Or:

"5th Avenue. This is a Disney Times Square bound (7) train. The next and last stop is Disney Times Square."

No. Just no. Sounds horrible, gets riders confused, makes stations lose their identity, etc.

Hm, yeah, no, sponsorship renaming is not a good idea.

"Ely Avenue. This is a Manhattan bound (E) train. The next stop is Citistation."

Or:

"5th Avenue. This is a Disney Times Square bound (7) train. The next and last stop is Disney Times Square."

No. Just no. Sounds horrible, gets riders confused, makes stations lose their identity, etc.

LOL, I agree. They shouldn't rename the stations. I think Andy had a good idea when he said "How about station maintenance be sponsored by nearby companies, in exchange free advertising".

LOL, I agree. They shouldn't rename the stations. I think Andy had a good idea when he said "How about station maintenance be sponsored by nearby companies, in exchange free advertising".

Why thank you! :)

Currently parts of stations, mostly entrance stairs & such are covered by nearby tenants & co-operatives. Would be simple to expand it i'd think. The city should do more if it means (MTA) can do more without raising fares.

It's time the financial powerhouse of nyc paid back the system that keeps it alive.

- Andy

My impression, as from what I read on Skyscraper City, was that they are thinking of allowing for complete name changing and advertising to clients. You know, like naming stadiums and buildings. I would make them pay a fee up front to completely remodel the station they desire, first. Then, let' em rock.

Times square could be changed to "Teh (T)imes (S)quares a(K)a the place whe®es tourists go to spend (M)oneys (4)nd shoot (F)otos of themselves th(A)t they (W)ill n(E)ver fully appr(3)ciate (B)ecause thi(Z) country is fat lazy b(L)oated and coul(D) not fi(N)d non-intrin(5)i(Q) (V)alue in teh rich culture & (H)istory of a (G)rand old ©ity like th(1)s one (SEPTA)tati(JFK)n".

This is the train to no future, next stop, selling out, watch the closing doors.

- Andy

I can already imagine him greeting New Yorkers only to have them kick him and flip him off...

Renaming stations, I have a good one

Why not rename..

1. 7th Avenue Station on (:P(Q) 7th Avenue/Flatbush Avenue

2. (7)<7> Willets Point Shea Stadium, to Willets Point.

3. (2)<5> Flatbush Avenue, Brooklyn College, just take Brooklyn College out, the (2)(5) don't stop right at Brooklyn College.

4. (A) at Lefferts Boulevard, Ozone Park, it should be Richmond Hill Lefferts Boulevard, Lefferts Blvd is not at Ozone Park, literally.

5. Connect Queens Plaza (E)(F)(G)(R)(V) with Queensboro Plaza (7)<7>(N)(W) and renamed the joint stations Queens County Plaza.

6. (N)(Q)(R)(W) 57th Street and 7 Avenue, should be renamed Central Park South and 7th Avenue (although the station's not actually next to Central Park)

7. Take off the JFK Airport tag off the Howard Beach (A) and Sutphin Boulevard (E)(J)(Z) stations. We know the (A)(E)(J)(Z) don't stop right at the airport, we need another transfer...

And speaking of names, which is the correct spelling. Beverley Road on (Q) or Beverly Road on (2)(5)?

Renaming stations, I have a good one

Why not rename..

1. 7th Avenue Station on (:P(Q) 7th Avenue/Flatbush Avenue

2. (7)<7> Willets Point Shea Stadium, to Willets Point.

3. (2)<5> Flatbush Avenue, Brooklyn College, just take Brooklyn College out, the (2)(5) don't stop right at Brooklyn College.

4. (A) at Lefferts Boulevard, Ozone Park, it should be Richmond Hill Lefferts Boulevard, Lefferts Blvd is not at Ozone Park, literally.

5. Connect Queens Plaza (E)(F)(G)(R)(V) with Queensboro Plaza (7)<7>(N)(W) and renamed the joint stations Queens County Plaza.

6. (N)(Q)(R)(W) 57th Street and 7 Avenue, should be renamed Central Park South and 7th Avenue (although the station's not actually next to Central Park)

7. Take off the JFK Airport tag off the Howard Beach (A) and Sutphin Boulevard (E)(J)(Z) stations. We know the (A)(E)(J)(Z) don't stop right at the airport, we need another transfer...

And speaking of names, which is the correct spelling. Beverley Road on (Q) or Beverly Road on (2)(5)?

1. If so name it 7th-Flatbush Aves.

2. Being as this station is in my territory, I see a need to defend the name. First off it's Willets Point Blvd (they should add that "Blvd" to avoid confusion with Willets Point the area). And second, Shea Stadium (and next year Citi Field) are what give this station its identity. So I say no. Willets Point (Blvd)-Citi Field is fine.

3. I assume Brooklyn College is nearby to the station, which is why they named it that.

4. Don't care

5. Connect the stations? Definitely. Queens County Plaza? No. Queens Plaza Transit Hub... maybe not. I say keep one or the other and extend it to both.

6. No. If you do that it directly contradicts with your #3. And also, people will get off there thinking CP is right there. 57th/7th is fine.

7. Yeah. Replace it with JFK Airtrain.

Agree with (7) on that.

Confusing station names should be avoided, accurately placed names are good too. Also, stations with entrances on 2 different streets, like the 5th ave/60th street station, you can actually come up the stairs on 59th street half way down the block if you go one way, and 10 feet away from 5th ave on 60th if you go out the other way. They need to change it somehow maybe 5th ave 59 & 60st i think.

- Andy

Hmmm... I feel that if this comes to be (and oh how I hope it doesn't) that there could be a fair amount of fun to be had. For example, rename Times Square to Toaster Plaza then replace all the signs in the station with clocks that are 37 minutes fast... :P

I think 7th Avenue Could be renamed 7th Avenue/Flatbush Avenue, for the sake of distinguishing from the 7th Avenue on the (F). Also, I think Carroll Street (F)(G) should be renamed 2nd Place. There is no exit on Carroll Street, and the main exit is on 2nd.

I believe when the (A) line gets R160s, by then it will be like "This is Howard Beach, transfer is available to the AirTrain" something like that. Hopefully they take JFK out of the station name by then.

I think 7th Avenue Could be renamed 7th Avenue/Flatbush Avenue, for the sake of distinguishing from the 7th Avenue on the (F). Also, I think Carroll Street (F)(G) should be renamed 2nd Place. There is no exit on Carroll Street, and the main exit is on 2nd.
Agreed.

They won't take the name JFK out of Howard Beach station...whether it's JFK Airtrain or JFK Airport, tourists and stupid people need the letters JFK there to tell them they are closer to getting to the airport.

Besides, they have enough trouble as it is figuring out WHICH (A) Train to take there :P

In that case, it's time to rename Chauncey St on the (J)/(Z) to Rockaway Av, Gates Av to be renamed to Ralph Av, and Junius St on the (3) to be renamed to Sackman St. Unless it will confuse more people, then they should stay the same.

Changing it for sponsorship reasons, no that's not a good thing. 5th Av-53rd St should stay 5th Av-53rd St. However, Chauncey St on the (J)/(Z) should be Rockaway Av, because that's where the exit is (just as an example). If that was the case, it'd probably be different. But, Disney Times Square...bad idea IMO.

lol... "DISNEY TIMES SQUARE"... thatz totally crazy... the mta doesnt need to go ad crazy and rename the stations just for sum extra bucks.

how bout renaming Canal Street on da (J)(M)(N)(Q)(R)(W)(Z)(6) Chinatown-Canal Street to diff between the other Canal Streets?

or Chambers Street-Civic Centre?

Archived