So sick and So tired

DOB2RTO

I am tired of the DOB division of NYCTA/MaBSTOA. I am at the end of my rope with dealing with all the nonsense, that drivers have to deal with day in and day out. Here is why:

1. When the bus is one stop away, why do people not have their MetroCards/money out already. Why do some of these people get on the bus, then decide to dig through a bag, get a wallet, then get the Metrocard or money. Why do some wait until they get on the bus, to start counting change, when that should of been done, along time ago, like when they knew they were going to get the bus. This absolutely ridiculous non-sense, is a major reason why the buses can never be on time, during the rush hours.

2. Why do people (especially old) insist on going shopping, then bringing 10 bags on the bus during rush hours. Here is a little advise. 900-1500hrs is the time for this, not when the bus is packed, and your fellow seniors (who take 7 years to get up the steps), need seats that some insist on putting those bags on.

3. I have nothing against old people, but why are they piled up in the bus stop (especially Manhattan), late at night. We do not have the time at night for slow paced loading. Our night schedule is for loading quickly, and moving.

4. Like the Metrocard/money, why do people with babies in stollers wait good until the bus gets into the stop, to decide to take the baby out, and then fold up the SUV of strollers.

5. The notorious farebeats. I am so sick and tired of pressing that 5 or F5 button (both are the shortdrop/farebeat buttons). I am tired of the stories, and the asking. You want to hang out with your friends across town, but do not have the bus fare. Guess what. Get a job or stay the F home. Only in the DOB is this garbage allowed. RTO will look at you like you are crazy if one asked for a free ride. I wonder what would a cab driver say is one asked they for a free lift. Then those who have Metrocards that they know don't work, and some have 5 or more, and they dip FARE=2.00, and they dip the next card FARE=2.00, and the next, etc...holding up the bus. Some have legit reasons (going to a shelter, on welfare etc..) for not having the fare. Most, I am convinced just want to travel, and know they have no where important to go, but just decide they want to go see their lover or friends, and know they do not have the money, but will walk to the bus stop, and give a story. Again what would the cab driver say if asked.

6. Wheelchairs. WTF. I don't think $100 million from the federal gov't is worth the hassle, and they delays they cause. I believe the wheelchair lifts should be off limits from 600-900hrs and from 1500-1900hrs. This is during the rush hours. No driver should have to make people on a packed bus get off to get a wheelchair in. Equal right means they have the equal right to wait for the next not so packed bus. Wheelchairs should NOT be a priority over anyone else, during the rush hour. Again Equal rights, not un-equal when it benefits and gives priority to one. If a wheelchair bound person needs to get to work, Acess-A-Ride should get them there during the morning and evening rush. It is a MTA funded operation, and anyone in a wheelchair, should be able to use them, no questions asked, just proof you are wheelchair bound. Besides wheelchairs think the ride is free when they suppose to pay $1, on the local buses. Those are the biggest farebeats.

7. Do those gypsy/yellow cabs (aka roaches) know how to drive? Why do they feel the need to drive 2 inches from the side of the bus, then once slightly ahead of the front bumper they have to encroach into your lane, while still inside theirs? I did not know a cab was that big. The TLC needs to get their act together, and start giving cab drivers rides. They don't signal, and drive like they rule the bleeping road. They forget they have a 2 ton Towncar. I have a 33 ton bus. Who will win? Who has the upper hand? Whose life is in whose hands? I really want to give them what they deserve, but it is too much paperwork to do so.

8. Why does supervision make an already crappy position worse by entertaining customer stupidity. What? The customer will find an alternative to using your monopolistic transportation? I don't think so, because if they could afford it they would of already done it. Parking tickets, and parking garages are expensive. Cabs are far from competition for the MTA. $5 initial fare for the non yellow roaches, and $2.50 or $3 for the yellow ones. The customer ain't going no where. The position is hard enough, with a 33% turnover rate. No wonder there are so many open runs, that don't get covered. No one really wants to come in and do a RDO, because the MTA does not appreciate crap. But they sure appreciate doing just that on you. That is why most employees motto is "My two days are my two days, unless I need the money".

9. Fellow operators. Why do some come to work, but don't want to work. They intentionally drag lines, and make some of our jobs harder, due to the fact doing this, causes their followers to run early, and then they have to sit, and hear the rants of the customers. Some do it, because they want to have the dispatcher put them in place, and I am glad some won't. They know who problem drivers are. Once in a while, yes the line could be VERY heavy, and you can be late. Those I am talking about, do their garbage daily.

When I tell my fellow operators and union peeps that when I get my letter from RTO for T/O that I will leave the DOB and not look back, they say we will see you back here. They don't know I am at the point of taking one of those buses and cause a massacre. Old, young, crippled, I don't care who is on the curb or in the cab. When one does not want to get up to go to work, is beyond miserable at work, and wonders what will piss them off today, It means when the time to leave comes, one leaves.

I hope RTO speeds things up so I can operate something that I don't have to deal with fares, cars, or how fast mother/father time gets in. Wheelchair access is limited so their will be little if any of that to deal with. When they say this job will kill you they are not lying. Too much stress, and too few collect their pensions for any decent amount of time.

When the time comes, the DOB can kiss my chocolate biscuits.

Being a bus operator is a tough job. A friend of mine who is a bus operator always has stories about the job. He has his regrets sometimes and sometimes he enjoys it.

That is the crazy part. I do enjoy driving such a vehicle, but with all the other responsibilities, aggrevation, and the other clueless drivers (especially those roaches), it really really stinks.

I seen a few bus drivers lose it on the job.

When I first started, I was going to lose it, quit, and go to Liberty Lines (less people, close to home, nearly same pay) . The only reason why I am hanging in there with the MTA, is because I did take the T/O test, and am waiting to be called.

I guess a train operator won't have to deal with all that. Have you taken the test yet?

Back in 2003. I took it on the Open Competitive. I am 1341. Last elegible certified 1067. Last elegible appointed 600. That is just within 3-4 months of the list being called from. They are making quick process, since the criteria to become a T/O is much more than being a B/O. Wanting to make that switch, and hating a job, that I wanted to do since I was a child, is torture. I try not to think about leaving the DOB, because it seems to take much longer. Guess as the saying goes "don't think about it, and it will come quicker". When I stopped thinking about it, they did move quicker through the list.

I seen a few bus drivers lose it on the job.

Yeah, I've seen that a few times also.

I remember one time in particular, last year, when I was on my way home from Fordham Road to my neighborhood on the Bx19. It was late in the afternoon, around 3:30, when all the kids had just been dismissed from school. It was a warm, clear day out (most likely either at the end of the school year or the beginning), and you know how kids get on those days after a long day in school.

A bunch of rowdy kids got on the bus with me and sat in the back. We were approaching the part of the route where the bus runs under the train (around 174th St). These kids kept on pushing the back door open, and then abruptly releasing it and letting it bounce back. They did this over and over again, while the bus was in motion.

Granted this was dangerous enough, but on this street, there are those pillars which hold the train up. The pillars are only inches from the bus, and they stand between the main lane of the street and the shoulder/turn lane. As the back door was being pushed, it could have easily got caught on the edge of one of the pillars and been torn right off.

The driver started yelling at the kids, and immediately pulled the bus over to the side of the street (right across from the Western Beef). He ran to the back of the bus in a huff, and let them have it - big timie. He was clearly very agitated about their behavior, and warned them that if they opened the door one more time, he'd "put the bus out of service in a heartbeat", and notify the police.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like your job is kind of stressful.

Move to Los Angeles and drive the Orange Line. What a cakewalk! No fares to collect, no TRAFFIC, duh, there is a dedicated highway!

I ride the Orange Line every day and it is wonderful!

Thanks for the rant, I will smile at my driver for sure!;)

Wow DOB2RTO we need to get you in T/O school car ASAP! The only thing you really still got to deal with is being stuck behind a slow crew or being stuck with a Slow C/R and they asking you "T/O where did you lose your time"? The blame the T/O for lateness not the C/R but there is nothing you can do when dealing with a slow C/R exept deal with it and blame lateness on Heavy ridership. I know a few B/O that where in my T/O class 5 out of 30 and only 2 stayed. One was in my group with 9 of us C/R's and we showed him the ropes. I remember one guy from a Bus depot in Queens he loved trains and was into it. He was doing very well but he dropped out and is back to B/O. I think his main hang up was losing 12 Years senority and waiting another 10 years to get part of a wkend. He also didn't like the fact in RTO you work in all parts of the city not one cental location. The A Div is better in a way because 95% of the work is in the BX. In the B Div its spread out every where. I had days sent out to Far Rockaway just to fall to the board then 4 hours later pick up a full 8 Hour job at Stillwell/ Coney Island. hell even I wanted to go back to C/R but I am so glad that I stuck it out. The things I enjoyed about the middle of the train was the free time between stations and senority moved so much faster. T/O Senority don't move.

In RTO the life expectancy is 1 Year because of the Steal dest that gets in you. After working an 8 Hour shift underground you blow your nose and black stuff comes out.

Dnon't get me twisted I am not trying to scare anyone I belive T/O is one of the best jobs but I am keeping it real.

In RTO the life expectancy is 1 Year because of the Steal dest that gets in you. After working an 8 Hour shift underground you blow your nose and black stuff comes out.

Don't get me twisted I am not trying to scare anyone I believe T/O is one of the best jobs but I am keeping it real.

That is why some of my fellow B/Os don't want to take the next T/O test. They talked about the steel dust, and I figured the trains should have filters, so it should not be that big of a deal. Now, I know that it is true, hearing it from a real T/O. I though our life expectancy was short after retirement.

Well I still do have resumes in Metro-North, and LIRR for L/E (Locomotive Engineer), and an application in NJT for L/E Trainee. Most likely I won't hear from none of them, but who knows. Doesn't hurt to apply, though.

Nope it don't help you if your a T/O all that air blowing at you coming from the window and cab door. Also C/R's having to stick thier heads out observing the platfrom for 75 Feet. Steal dust is a on the job hazard but we try not to think about it too much. I think T/O is better then being a B/O because you don't have to worry about traffic exept train traffic and limited contact with the public. If someone don't pay the fare its not our problem thats considered a station department problem. As a T/O you deal with mostly your Conductors, Tower Operators, and Supervisors.

Archived