So how does one become a train operator?

R1Toasty

Yes, that's right all, I would in fact love to become a TO in the NYC subway... just figured I find out how to do this whilst I'm still young. So fellows, enlighten me.

This is from the NOE of 2003, the exam I took, on the Open Competitive test.

http://nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/trainoperator.pdf

This is from the NOE 2003 Promotinal exam.

http://nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/ptrainoperator.pdf

ok...

For most MTA NYC Transit jobs, you must file and score high on a DCAS ( Dept Citywide Administrative Services) Exam.

To Become a T/O , you must have the following:

- High School Diploma

- 5 Years of FULL TIME work experience

-------------------------------------------

Filing for the T/O exam is $50.00.

Last T/O Exam was given in Feb 2003.

The next one should be given in early 2009.

Most of the time , the T/O Exam is ' O-C ' (Open Competitive ) which means anyone from the Street or from the public may file for the test. HOWEVER, its also a PROMOTIONAL EXAM for inside TA employees. If your a C/R, cleaner, or BUS Op, or anything in the TA already, and you and a person off the street take the exam, and BOTH score the same. The TA employee would get called first b/c of their seniority level.

---------------

hope this helped ya little

I believe also, you MUST be 21 years old.

What is the age limit to become a train operator if there is one?

Minimum and maximum.

Just like the DOB none (maximum). If you pass the medical/vision etc, they will hire you. In the DOB they told us they hired a guy who was in his mid seventies. They do not age discriminate. But that does not mean they won't be watching you more either. Minimum, I heard of an 18 year old getting hired. But then there are alot of rumors also.

ok...

For most MTA NYC Transit jobs, you must file and score high on a DCAS ( Dept Citywide Administrative Services) Exam.

To Become a T/O , you must have the following:

- High School Diploma

- 5 Years of FULL TIME work experience

-------------------------------------------

Filing for the T/O exam is $50.00.

Last T/O Exam was given in Feb 2003.

The next one should be given in early 2009.

Most of the time , the T/O Exam is ' O-C ' (Open Competitive ) which means anyone from the Street or from the public may file for the test. HOWEVER, its also a PROMOTIONAL EXAM for inside TA employees. If your a C/R, cleaner, or BUS Op, or anything in the TA already, and you and a person off the street take the exam, and BOTH score the same. The TA employee would get called first b/c of their seniority level.

---------------

hope this helped ya little

I believe also, you MUST be 21 years old.

Only Bus Operators, Conductors, and Tower Operators can take it on the Promotional and yes, due to civil service law, they will get called first. All other employees have to take it on the O/C. But, if they have one year in their title, they will get accepted as a Promotional, but still called with the rest of the O/C list.

I did my year as a OA Bus Operator, and when I get called, I will be accepted as a Promo, even though I took it on the O/C list. I had to, due to the fact when I took the exam, I was not an employee yet.

So, I need to take a test and work for 5 years (or one if I go to college for 4 years). I do plan to go to college, so 4 years down, what should I do for that other year (conductor/bus operator...). Then I go take the test, hopefully pass, and then become a TO.

P.S. I'm 16 right now.

So, I need to take a test and work for 5 years (or one if I go to college for 4 years). I do plan to go to college, so 4 years down, what should I do for that other year (conductor/bus operator...). Then I go take the test, hopefully pass, and then become a TO.

P.S. I'm 16 right now.

For the Open Competitive T/O Exam, just be legally (on the books employed) for one year, if you go to college for four years. The place of employment does not matter. Make sure it is full-time employment.

The Promotional Exam is for those with one year already as a B/O, C/R, or TW/O.

Now lets say I wanted to be, oh, a conductor before I become a TO so I could take the promotional... anything special for that? What would you recommend I do?

Become a C/R. A former C/R (now T/O) on another messageboard I'm also on, said he got hired at 18 to become a C/R. All you need is a four year H.S. diploma, or its equivelant. If in that position for one year, you can take the T/O exam on the Promotional. Here is some info to become a C/R.

http://nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/conductor.pdf

Nice, how is it? You get a little booklet or something so you can study up, right? But only one year as a C/R and I can become a T/O? I was under the understanding of it being 5 years, or is this just for outside the MTA?

Less stressful than my job. I believe the same booklet that B/Os use for the TA B/O civil service exam, is the same booklet that C/Rs use. You can get the book from Barnes and Nobles, the same place I got the T/O study guide. Yes, the 5 years work experience and H.S diploma (or equal), is for off the street people, and MTA workers who would not qualify to take the test on the Promo. If you are a C/R, B/O, or TW/O, all you NEED is one year in title, and you could take the test on the Promo.

Now the Guy from the other site Speaks. I took the Exam for C/R at 16 Years old which set me up to take the C/R's job with NYCT at 18 Years old. The Requirment for C/R is a High School diploma at TIME OF APPOINTMENT. However for T/O the Requirments are O/C you need that 5 Years work Experance by time of Application Period and Promotional needs 1 Year in title (C/R , B/O , TWO) by date of Exam. It use to be date of Promotion but they stopped that back in 2002.

My best advise is start as a C/R first this way you can learn about the routes and Proceedures in the NYCT Dept of Subways before going to the Hot seat. You also get to learn about what T/O's do that drive C/R's nuts like Holding a Full service brake at every station. Since I was a C/R and can relate very well to what my C/R's are dealing with and how to work with them that has made me a T/O in demand.;)

Those coming from B/O seem to do a good job since they know about the NYCT Rules and are good with air brakes. The thing B/O have to remember its not just them they have a partner who's career depends on them too. If a T/O messes up and the C/R don't bang them in they are also in trouble for what the T/O did by covering it up.

What is C/R? Conductor/something. So nobody becomes a train operator first you must become a conductor first is that right? are they any exceptions. It doesn't matter if your a college graduate or took special training at a railroad school.

In NYCT you don't have to be a C/R ( Conductor) but it helps. You can be a T/O right from the Street as long as you got 5 Years work experance shorter if you have some college. Also I don't think they care if you went to Railroad school since we are not a railroad.

Yes, lets find the best courses of action that would get me the optimum chance to become a T/O, just so I can plan accordingly. For example, become a C/R and take the promo in a year... but what else should I add to that?

Well since you are 16 (the same age Dave was when he took the C/R test), next one that comes out take it. Remember you can only take the promo to T/O if an exam is given after your year. You could be a C/R for 2 or 3 years before a next T/O promo exam is given out. Just ride out being a C/R, and be a good employee, until a Promo is given out. From beginning to end it will be several years before you get hired (if you pass). It took me 3 and a half years from the date I applied for B/O, until I actually got hired. It has taken 4+ years for some.

Thats right you have to wait a while before they call you so you must plan early. I was # 53 on the C/R List which took them 2 1/2 years to call me which was perfict timing. Now the T/O test I was #40 on the PROM list and took it in 2003 got called in 2005. Those that did well on the T/O O/C list in 2003 just getting called now which that first class being April of 2007. I see the two new classes all the time at Coney Island Yard.

Archived