IRT Subway Car assignments for January 16th, 2003

bigrene18

(1)/(9): R-62A (5-car sets)

(2): R-142

(3): R-62A (5-car sets and singles)

(4): R-33ML, R-62 (5-car sets), R-142A

(5)<5>: R-33ML, R-142

(6)<6>: R-142A

(7)<7>: R-33WF, R-36WF, R-36ML, R-62A (5-car sets and singles)

The former Westchester (6)<6> R-62A's (with yellow stickers) were scattered around the (1)/(9), (3), and (7)<7>.

The R-33's have been off the (2) since August 2002. The R-26/28/29's have been off the (5)<5> (and out of service for good) since October 2002. The R-29's and R-36's have been off the (6)<6> since late 2001, I believe; the R-62A's stuck around on the (6)<6> until around the middle of the year, I think.

Yep, this is the only statement that's true. That's when most of the redbirds went off the (5)<5>.

(Some remained on the (5)<5>, until early 2003)

Lol yeah, because I remember vividly seeing a R142 on the 5 at Grand Central during the Labour Day weekend with my grandmother. I still recall that that was the first day I saw redesign of the maps to reflect on the restoration of 9 service.

Lol yeah, because I remember vividly seeing a R142 on the 5 at Grand Central during the Labour Day weekend with my grandmother. I still recall that that was the first day I saw redesign of the maps to reflect on the restoration of 9 service.

Why the Redbirds have to go? :cry:

It is old, without air condition, probably over the limit fo years it should be in service and possibly hard to maintain since parts are scarce...

I personally would like it to stay but everyone has to let it go... I am sure all railfans would want it to stay (even though they say and act like they don't want it to stay)...

Same reason for the recent retirements (R-32, R-38, R-40, R-40M and R-42)...

What certain railfans have to understand is, that cars, like humans, age. And when a car ages to a certain extent, it would be much more cost efficient to have it replaced than to rehabilitated.

It is old, without air condition, probably over the limit fo years it should be in service and possibly hard to maintain since parts are scarce...

I personally would like it to stay but everyone has to let it go... I am sure all railfans would want it to stay (even though they say and act like they don't want it to stay)...

Same reason for the recent retirements (R-32, R-38, R-40, R-40M and R-42)...

They actually had air conditioning, except for the R33WF.

Certain cars had... Not all, ;)! I only caught an Air Conditioned Red Bird on the (6)... The (2), (4), (5) and (7) is all hot during summer and cold during winter... The (1) and (3), I never saw a RedBird, all R-62's, :)!

No, trust me, most Redbirds had A/C. Whether they were good or not (or even worked at all) is a different story.

Archived