Abandoned SIRT-North Shore; Circa February 2004

Brighton Local

These were taken in February 2004 from my 35mm camera

This is just one section of the abandoned North Shore SIRT Line. This line ran from St. George to Arlington ( near the Goethals Bridge)

Here are some photographs from what was the station on the line named 'Snug Harbor'.

SI0001.jpg

SI0002.jpg

SI003.jpg

SI004.jpg

SI005.jpg

SI006.jpg

SI007.jpg

SI008.jpg

SI009.jpg

The portion of the route is on a Ballasted concrete ( I don't want to say 'EL',)section; here is the abandoned 'Port Richmond' Station

SI010.jpg

Hope everyone likes!:(

If it was reconstructed, then Im sure we would all love to scope out HBLR running along the Kill Van Kull:D

The day NJT decides to run HBLR to SI, HBLR SHOULD and WILL run on that line.

Remember, the Bayonne Bridge has provisions for rail to run on it. And also, PANYNJ wants to build a new Bayonne Bridge, so they can build it with provisions for HBLR to run on it.

Remember, the Bayonne Bridge has provisions for rail to run on it. And also, PANYNJ wants to build a new Bayonne Bridge, so they can build it with provisions for HBLR to run on it.

Your right on every part LOL:D

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Cool photos!

I have a feeling a new bridge will have both PATH and (NJT) light rail running on it, especially with the PA5 cars coming into play.

Maybe one side will have catenary, and the other side 3rd rail?

- Andy

• 2 weeks later...
Cool photos!

I have a feeling a new bridge will have both PATH and (NJT) light rail running on it, especially with the PA5 cars coming into play.

- Andy

You mean the PATH Train and (NJT) NJT Transit will run on the North Shore Line and West Shore Line. So you meant the PATH train will use the North Shore line and be extended to St. George and the (NJT) will use the North Shore line and West Shore Line and go to Pleasant Plains.

You mean the PATH Train and (NJT) NJT Transit will run on the North Shore Line and West Shore Line. So you meant the PATH train will use the North Shore line and be extended to St. George and the (NJT) will use the North Shore line and West Shore Line and go to Pleasant Plains.

Whatever works! :P

- Andy

Cool photos!

- Andy

Blah! PATH had its chance when there was abandoned ROW that HBLR is now sitting on.

Sorry man, ain't happening! :P

Before the MTA reopens the North shore Line again I think the SIR R44 should test on that line and these SIR R44 are the only one on the staten island Railway. I know why they should the SIR R44 should test the North shore line and west shore line before they reopen the lines and become the light rail. I think that should happen because the SIR R44 are great and watch this videos how the SIR R44 are good running on the line

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Well, the R44 and R46... My favorite, favorite subway car of all-time... I'd miss them if they get the R179... SIRT needs to keep them or I won't ever want to talk about MTA becasue of those whiny new trains...

Don't worry when the R44/R46 retires there will be two pairs of R44 and R46 at the NYCT Museum.

• 1 year later...

I have several topics to post, which I copied from the ones that I posted on Straphangers.org. I figured I could give some information on some of the studies regarding rail service on Staten Island.

There is a website: http://www.rpa.org/pdf/RPA_tomorrows_transit.pdf that shows which areas are in most need of transit. They are, in that order:

High Pop. Density & Low Income

High Pop. Density Only

Low Income & Lower Density

This website shows a map of areas on Staten Island that fit this description, and a fair percentage of those areas are on the North Shore.

Way back, there was an article in the Staten Island Advance stating the possible route of the line. Although the residents chose a route along the MLK, Staten Island, and West Shore Expressways, one plan was to have a spur from the line that went to the Staten Island Mall from the West Shore Expressway. This might be feasable, considering that on the map, the population density is higher by the Mall.

This plan would go a long way towards solving Staten Island's transportation isssues. If you look on the Composite map, you'll see that the North Shore Line going to Arlington (or a little bit further to a park-and-ride lot in Bloomfield) would significantly cut down on the number of people on the North Shore who live far from the subway (since most of the areas near the ROW fit at least one of these descriptions). The West Shore Line would cut down on the number of people living far from the subway, by not being redundant with the North Shore Line. The area that I notice is uncovered by the North Shore Line that would be covered by the West Shore Line is the areas around the north end of Richmond Avenue, between Forest Avenue and the Staten Island Expressway, and the area west of Richmond Avenue at this point. These areas fit the definition of High Pop. Density Only.

Quite honestly, in my opinion, I would put the West Shore Line down Richmond Avenue, so that most of the same areas by Richmond Avenue remain served while higher density areas get the service. Most of the far West Shore has a density of 0-2,000 people per square mile. The area of the West Shore around Richmond Avenue has a population density that ranges from 2,000 to 20,000 people per square mile, with the area right by the Mall having a density of 20,000 to 30,000 people per square mile. Running the line down Richmond Avenue would service these areas, which is, in my opinion, better than going on the West Shore Expressway and serving areas without the population density (except for this little spot by Arthur Kill Road, where the density is similar to near the Mall).

Any thoughts?

The three options that were originally considered were:

a) via the North Shore Line to Bloomfield and then onto the West Shore Expressway.

;) via Richmond Avenue (I don't know where it would terminate. Possibly Pleasant Plains via the Richmond Parkway)

c) via the MLK and Staten Island Expressway to Bloomfield and then down the West Shore Expressway to Pleasant Plains.

Which option do you think would offer the most value? Would you consider branching the current plan (C) through Fresh Kills to the Mall?

Originally, ridership projections were 30,000 for the full line by 2020. Now the article says 13,000 (it doesn't say by when). The line to Bloomfield would cost $1.3 billion, and the full length line (without a branch to the Mall) would cost $1.8 billion (assuming option 3 is taken).

What would you change about this proposal based on the information?

Also, there are links at the Wikipedia page labeled ''Staten Island Island light rail'' (site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staten_Island_light_rail ).

The website for the final report is: http://www.siedc.org/images/PDF/WSLRPhaseII_FINALREPORT.pdf

Another website that talks about rail connections to New Jersey is: http://www.auto-free.org/lrt-staten.html

After reading the study, since the project would probably be divided into 2 phases (north and south of Bloomfield), I think that once phase 2 is complete, not all of the trains that are sent to Staten Island should be sent down there, since over 70% of the ridership would be north of Bloomfield, and the storage yard would probably be built near the Bloomfield station. This would assume that 6tph would be sent to Staten Island. If 3tph are sent to Staten Island, then, of course, all of those trains should run the full route.

Since they agreed from the start that the Richmond Avenue alignment would be the most cost effective, there should be a branch from the line at Richmond Avenue straight down to the Staten Island Mall. Unfortunately, they predicted that there would be protest from the community if the line went near residents, but this would definitely increase ridership.