Conductor 8094 Hiring Process

Y2Julio

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(:)

It worked out to 95 on the TO test as well when i worked out the preliminary grade with the online answers. Needless to say when i saw that after seeing my list# from the conductors exam i went through the roof again, And i studied so much more for the TO exam.

(:)

It worked out to 95 on the TO test as well when i worked out the preliminary grade with the online answers. Needless to say when i saw that after seeing my list# from the conductors exam i went through the roof again, And i studied so much more for the TO exam.

Yeah you should get a call from either in the near future. These test are very competitive and for good reason. You need to get as close to 100 as possible to get a good list number, to get called faster. But you'll be good they usually call list numbers up to about 3000 or a little more, so your good.

From the last TO Exam they are up to 2110 and it took 6 years to reach that number that is with a score of 94.28

Well JR in actuality the test may have been given 6 years ago, but the list was established at least a year to 1.5 years later. The waiting period for the test to get graded does not count for the time you wait to get your list number called. Each list number stays valid for 4 years, I believe the previous list is going to close soon.

Yeah I know Im just saying from the time you take the test its a long time. The actual list was established in October 2006 due to expire in October 2010. It took 3 years to establish the list because the promotional list was so long almost 1000 names on that promotional TO Exam in 2003.

Yeah you should get a call from either in the near future. These test are very competitive and for good reason. You need to get as close to 100 as possible to get a good list number, to get called faster. But you'll be good they usually call list numbers up to about 3000 or a little more, so your good.

I can understand making it competitive that's fine. but i have witnessed in the subway where the people who get called for these don't really care about the job and just use the job as a means to end. (example) like 4 months ago i was the Lex/53rd station waiting to catch a V over to Roc Center. I was at the middle of the platform and an E train came in and a tourist was standing a couple of feet from me with one of those pocket sized maps looking over it. He went up to the conductor and asked how to get to 81St. Natural History station. The conductor tells him after making his announcements that he doesn't know and closes the doors and goes on his merry way. I was standing there thinking what the f**k, questions like this are on the damn test for job and this a-hole had the balls to tell him he didn't know. So i went up to the guy and told him exactly what to do and he thanked me like 5 times and went on his way. Then i thought this is why people complain about TA employees being d-bags and JO's cause things like this must happen every day. Now i know that not all of the TA people are like this, but the few that are a-holes f**k it up for the rest of you guys. These are people that the TA needs to get rid of and put people in those spots who actually give a shit about their job of being a public servant.

I can understand making it competitive that's fine. but i have witnessed in the subway where the people who get called for these don't really care about the job and just use the job as a means to end. (example) like 4 months ago i was the Lex/53rd station waiting to catch a V over to Roc Center. I was at the middle of the platform and an E train came in and a tourist was standing a couple of feet from me with one of those pocket sized maps looking over it. He went up to the conductor and asked how to get to 81St. Natural History station. The conductor tells him after making his announcements that he doesn't know and closes the doors and goes on his merry way. I was standing there thinking what the f**k, questions like this are on the damn test for job and this a-hole had the balls to tell him he didn't know. So i went up to the guy and told him exactly what to do and he thanked me like 5 times and went on his way. Then i thought this is why people complain about TA employees being d-bags and JO's cause things like this must happen every day. Now i know that not all of the TA people are like this, but the few that are a-holes f**k it up for the rest of you guys. These are people that the TA needs to get rid of and put people in those spots who actually give a shit about their job of being a public servant.

Yeah I know their can be some TA workers who are a pain to deal with but not everyone is the same. And not everyone gets their perception of TA workers like you did. Some get it from when a B/O or S/A does not let them free when they don't have the fare. But not defending this guy, but know how the (NYCT) operates they keep operating personnel on tight schedules. And if it was during rush hour the C/R more then likely did not have all the time it would have taken to explain to the tourist how to get where they needed to go. I've worked on 51st and lex same station as 53rd and lex, and I have dealt with those tourist and it could take me more than 5 minutes of explaining direction to them more than 10 times and they still don't get it. And sometimes there is the language barrier that can complicate explanations of directions to tourist. So if I can't explain to them in a calm environment where I have the time to explain to them how to get some where ,a C/R has a much harder time trying to explain to some one how to get somewhere especially if they are tourist who are not used to the system. But like I said not defending him, because he should at least tried to give them instruction or point them to the station agent on duty. Like I said before you don't know the amount of stuff you have to put up with on a daily basis as a TA worker, while having to remain professional and while doing your job to TA standards until you work here. I like other thought the Station Agent's job was easy until I started working for TA. It was the main reason I took the test for the job. And now after 4 years of doing the job, I'am trying to change titles or jobs all together.

WillBx718

Station Agent

I totally get where ur coming from, i agree 1000% not all TA people are like that. I got to know a TO on the B line back in the day cause i would leave work about the same time everyday and get to West 4th st. and ride the R40's and catch his train almost day so we started talking and you could go on forever with him. I see what ur talking about with keeping the crews on a tight schedule especially during the rush hours. This was in the middle of the day on a weekend, and not that this guy couldn't speak english. He was an american just from the west coast so when i pointed out what to do for him on his map he even broke out a little pad of paper from his bag and wrote it down. I was like this is the easiest directions i've ever given to an outsider. I can understand if he was not even from this country and couldn't really speak english, there's not much he could have done with that. But i was thinking at least tell him to go up the escalator and talk to the station agent and he can help you. This guy just came across as an abrupt j.o. I'm with you on that you don't see everything about a job till you work it, and i'm not claiming to know it all i would never do that. While having seen some messed up shit in the subway while growing up here i know it's just the tip of the iceberg. But i still wanna do it.

WillBx718

Station Agent

I totally get where ur coming from, i agree 1000% not all TA people are like that. I got to know a TO on the B line back in the day cause i would leave work about the same time everyday and get to West 4th st. and ride the R40's and catch his train almost day so we started talking and you could go on forever with him. I see what ur talking about with keeping the crews on a tight schedule especially during the rush hours. This was in the middle of the day on a weekend, and not that this guy couldn't speak english. He was an american just from the west coast so when i pointed out what to do for him on his map he even broke out a little pad of paper from his bag and wrote it down. I was like this is the easiest directions i've ever given to an outsider. I can understand if he was not even from this country and couldn't really speak english, there's not much he could have done with that. But i was thinking at least tell him to go up the escalator and talk to the station agent and he can help you. This guy just came across as an abrupt j.o. I'm with you on that you don't see everything about a job till you work it, and i'm not claiming to know it all i would never do that. While having seen some messed up shit in the subway while growing up here i know it's just the tip of the iceberg. But i still wanna do it.

Yeah I agree with you that he should have just directed him to the station agent. But believe me you will agree with me if you ever get a chance to work down here. There is much more to the T/O's job and push a lever and there is more to a S/A's job than sitting on my arse. The rules and regulations you have to memorize and deal with is just ludicrous. This is why most people walk around with their TA bibles ( Rule Books ) all the time. But your statement is so true, the general public see TA workers as J.O's, but 90 % of them would take the job in a heartbeat.

The rules and regulations you have to memorize and deal with is just ludicrous. This is why most people walk around with their TA bibles ( Rule Books ) all the time.

Well, that and the fact that you are supposed to have your copy of the Rules available for reference while on duty.

the rule book is considered a part of your tools that you must have with you at all times.

S/A's don't carry tools with us. Ever since they took away our personal punch 3 years ago we don't have any tools to carry with us that the supervisor will ask for when doing an EPO. It's suggested that we carry it around, but not required in our department.

S/A's don't carry tools with us. Ever since they took away our personal punch 3 years ago we don't have any tools to carry with us that the supervisor will ask for when doing an EPO. It's suggested that we carry it around, but not required in our department.

oh. RTO is required to carry it. it's a rule in the rule book. haha.

• 1 month later...
From the last TO Exam they are up to 2110 and it took 6 years to reach that number that is with a score of 94.28

When i took the first Open Competitve T/O Test in 2000 i got a 95 list number was 788..

I was called in a year.

It was that high because i waited so long to file....

Most of us got scores in that range so they went by filing date.

Really? Thats not what i was told when i asked Interesting...

It may have been that way in the past, since the Passbooks still say that's the tiebreaker and while alot of that information is old and out of date it's never outright wrong...however I am almost certain with this test (C/R 8094) that it was last 5 of SSN.

It may have been that way in the past, since the Passbooks still say that's the tiebreaker and while alot of that information is old and out of date it's never outright wrong...however I am almost certain with this test (C/R 8094) that it was last 5 of SSN.

Well that poster says it was always that way i wasnt refferring to that test.

As I remember from school car giving directions isn't a job requirement from c/r's, Alex can correct me on this one. I know some c/r's who don't give directions, they tel the customer to go ask the station agent. I defense of that c/r, he or she could have been brand new out of school car. I remember when I was new, I could barely remember the line I was on, anf the stops that were on my line, much less give some one directions. Now days I carry a map with me, for there is no way I can remember all the stops or transfere points. Alot of times if I don't have time to figrue out the the directions I will ask the customer to step on the train, and in between stops I will look at the map and figure out a route for them. The hardest is language, sometimes I have to ask them 2 or 3 times "where are you going?", some time those customers get upset because you don't understand them. The hardest to under stand are Chinese, alot of time I don't have an idea of what they are saying. The good thing aboutit is that most the time they are going to Grand St., or Canal St. When I give direction, I think of the customer as my mother or sister and they are lost at 2:00 am I would want to make sure they get good directs so they arrive safely.

Archived