•  

• You are viewing the forums as a guest. Register to gain access to all of our features.

Photo
    * * * - - 15 votes

Conductor Exam 8094

6389 replies to this topic

#6381 mattfutureconductor5

mattfutureconductor5
    • Pip
    • 54 posts
    • LocationNEW YORK

Posted 30 March 2017 - 01:41 PM

Hello, i got in to traffic enforcement( April 3) but don't know how the process will go. A question to ask because i am deaf on my right side only. I speak English  okay but not good enough. Is the deafness going to disqualify me or no for  conductor ?

To be honest, i wasnt as nervous as i thought i would be.That being said, once youre done with posting, youll be ready to go. The night before, i was stressing. Then the day comes and its show time and youll quickly settle in. Things are a lot faster on the road as youll see during posting. Its kind of annoying having a TSS ride with you or checking up on you at some point on your route everyday. Terminal operations are probably the most nerve racking since youre up against the clock. I no longer adhere to the 2 minutes prior rule... im on my train AS SOON AS IT PULLS IN. youre going to need all of those 5-9 minutes (assuming you get even that much). There are gaps in training, or maybe i wasnt paying attention, but youll learn:

1)To just get on your train whether you saw your T/O get on or not

2) Whether to shut down your train for a relay or leave it open for the next crew

3) Improper zoning DOES indeed happen in real life. Got hit with a improper zoned train at Parkchester, after building up confidence in my abilities taking the 6 out of Pelham.

4) You get more confident each day. It becomes second nature. Give it a week and youll be used to the equipment, radio chatter, and addressing customer questions.

5) how to communicate with your partner. Some people dont like hearing the buzzer, or dont want you to bother them on the IC asking for the line up.

6) Take notes on every trip. If you get held at a station, anything unusual during your run, anything that might be called into question later on.

7)Most of the people down there are cool. Some of the ATDs and TDs come off a little aloof, but theyre just busy and will get to you if you speak up.... so speak up!

8) dont be afraid to ask questions. Had a G.O. job this weekend and they can be extremely overwhelming to understand and then explain to customers on the road, so MAKE SURE, you have all the details written down and easily accessible. We had a good TSS that broke it down for us newbies, took us almost 30 mins to get it, but whatever it takes.

9) Go here: http://www.mta.info/schedules print out the strip maps for each individual line in your division. Make them smalller if you can, and keep a stack of em and tape them up inside your cab for quick reference. Youll be asked all kinds of questions at main hubs (34th, 42nd etc) if you cant answer, point them to the nearest platform conductor and keep it moving.

Im learning more everyday. You will too. The nerves will pass.

Nice information to share, thank you :D d train operator don't always use the same train because d train, i see the cab/coach number that inside the train always different for the same conductor.

Edited by mattfutureconductor5, 30 March 2017 - 01:43 PM.

#6382 MRmta229

MRmta229
    • Pip
    • 105 posts
    • LocationQueens

Posted 31 March 2017 - 04:06 PM

@Qnzbound
    How was the road practical? And which superintendent did you have?

Just passed my yard and Midterm.

#6383 Glenn200

Glenn200
    • Pip
    • 59 posts
    • LocationNew york

Posted 31 March 2017 - 05:50 PM

Just passed my midterm and yard practical

Edited by Glenn200, 31 March 2017 - 05:51 PM.

#6384 CLCF1983

CLCF1983
    • 14 posts
    • LocationNYC

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:23 PM

Passed my yard practical today @ Corona Yard. Thought we were going to be tested on the R62's as the TSS emphasized, but we were tested on a R188.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

#6385 tdevon2012

tdevon2012
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPip
    • 626 posts
    • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:29 PM

Congrats to those who passed

#6386 QnzBound

QnzBound
    • Veteran Member
    • Pip
    • 55 posts
    • LocationNYC

Posted 01 April 2017 - 04:11 AM

Just passed my midterm and yard practical

Congrats. The road practical is MUCH easier in comparison. Just know the proper announcements/ proceedures and use the vision glass to your advantage when looking for your board. And DONT call out what you think it is till the train comes to a complete stop, like i did. Lol. Other than that, when you get a nornal station stop. Do what youve been practicing. Point, open doors, announcements, close properly, keep it moving. Just like when posting.

@Qnzbound
    How was the road practical? And which superintendent did you have?

Just passed my yard and Midterm.

Road practical was a little nerve racking because of the pressure but my whole class passed, just know your announcements and try to memorize a few stops. You may not get to make the full station announcement but be prepared. Youll do fine.

#6387 mattfutureconductor5

mattfutureconductor5
    • Pip
    • 54 posts
    • LocationNEW YORK

Posted 05 April 2017 - 06:43 PM

Is the test extended again?

#6388 Glenn200

Glenn200
    • Pip
    • 59 posts
    • LocationNew york

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:17 PM

Just got done with posting today

#6389 Glenn200

Glenn200
    • Pip
    • 59 posts
    • LocationNew york

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:44 PM

Got two days on the road alone already been going real smooth so far.

#6390 QnzBound

QnzBound
    • Veteran Member
    • Pip
    • 55 posts
    • LocationNYC

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:47 AM

Got two days on the road alone already been going real smooth so far.

Dont forget to take notes on any job that you work. This is something ive gotten away from but need to get back to. basically once you finish your job, write down if you liked it, hated it, how was your partner, did you get to take lunch, was there money on the job etc, how many trips, did you end where you started? etc. Were a while away from being able to pick a job BUT these notes will help when it does come time to pick.