Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a Fairbanks Morse engine. Still being built since 1938. Same engine, same reliability for submarines, ships, and even locomotives.

FM/ALCO 251 F engine

111.jpg

It didn't work that well in locomotives or Fairbanks would of been a major player after WW2.  In stationary design it can't be beat but variable throttle they don't hold up.

It didn't work that well in locomotives or Fairbanks would of been a major player after WW2.  In stationary design it can't be beat but variable throttle they don't hold up.

Yeah, they had issues. They were also ahead of their time when it came to higher horsepower diesels. 

Ugh this Respiratory Care Practitioner college program is killing me. While I am studying here I guess I might as well explain what in the world I am doing in college for medical when I am an IT professional. Well it pays that's the first thing. 40 dollars an hr to start! This is what I always dreamed of doing as a carer thats another thing. The Nursing field is growing by leaps and bounds, it is a recession proof field, and the pay is incredible. Network administrators will not make the kind of money I can make once I am done and licenced to practice as a healthcare professional.

This is one of the things I am studying right now in preparations for two lecture exams I am absolutely going to get slammed with after spring break (In the same week).

Warning: Contains graphic content

I participated in many of such procedures in the ER or ICU all the time during emergency codes in my internship (still being trained under supervision) when the person is in respiratory distress, blunt or penetrating head trauma, cardiac arrest, acute stroke or coma, dying and quickly. This is called an intubation where a tube is introduced into the airway deep into the lungs with use of a larangoscope in preparation for mechanical ventilation life support. After that the central IV line is surgically placed into the jugular vein to sedate the patient (Usually proponol [which is a sub-anesthetic], in emergency situations in the ER morphine [narcotic] and lorazapam [which is a benzodiazepine much like xanax]) , as well as heparin and saline to improve blood volume cardiac output and blood pressure which in turn improves ventilation and perfusion in the bronchi and alveoli of the lungs to keep the person alive. One has to be careful, if you do any of this wrong you might mortally injure the patient.

Then the RCP sets the mechanical ventilator which does the breathing for them by use of positive pressure of air and oxygen (think in physics, Boyle's law). Afterwards we treat the patient and assess the patient accordingly, delivering medication via aerosol management until the patient is stable and recovering. Other procedures are involved such as oxygen therapy which is not sen here. When the patient is stable, the patient is extubated by the RCP and put on aerosol mask, then the nurses take over to perform other procedures to help the patient recover.

Warning: Contains graphic material

This is one of the life support machines the RCP operates. The Bennett 840 Mechanical Ventilator which I am learning right now. It is widely used in all the hospitals in the ER and ICUs in New York City. There are also BiPAPs, incubators (for babies), Oxygen Blenders and other devices which the RCP is responsible for set up and operating on critically ill patients including premature babies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzEx9a1gGX4

Mechanical ventilation life support, emergency invasive procedures to maintain airway ventilation and medication treatment where it pertains to the respiratory system is the specialty of Respiratory Care Practitioners under the direct command of pulmologists and anesthesiologists which sets us apart and on the same level as nurses who are not permitted to perform such procedures as it is out of their scope of practice. EMTs are also specially licensed to make such procedures which stands out as an exception to the rule. 

Theres way more to this, such as chest tubes where needles are inserted directly into the lungs from the sides in the case of pnemothorax - removing mucous plugs using airway suction catherers and more. 

Warning: Contains graphic content

If you got the guts to do it I strongly recommend you pursue this as a career. You will be going places. Its a respected field, very much so, pay is excellent and you will go home each day or night with the satisfaction that you saved a life. Man I should print this and give this to my professors for extra credit.

Edited by realizm

Thank you realizm for learning how to keep people alive in times of dire medical need.

Thanks man. At the hospital right now on lunch break. Unlike last week which was a nightmare today is smooth sailing save for one emergency situation but luckily my team stabilized the patient. Thats what I mean by job satisfaction.

I mean dont give up your aspirations to become a T/O or a C/R, absolutely go for it. But as for being in healthcare, excellent benefits, union benefits and the pay is solid. When I start I will make as much money as a T/O easy. More with OT factored in.

Aim for the MTA absolutely, but its always good to have a plan B. You know the deal. Many of us here are in other respected fields such as IT but avid railfanners regardless.

Respect!