Staten Island Division: 2010 and beyond

S78 via Hylan

Hey guys, I thought I would make my own ideas for improving bus service in Staten Island. I understand not many people look at SI much, but anyone can say what they think.

S90 becomes S40 Limited

S91 becomes S61 Limited

S92 becomes S62 Limited and so on......

The reason why I thought of this is because there is no point of having higher numbers for limited stop service. For example, there is M15 Local and M15 LTD, not M95 LTD.

S42- Service to Forest Av/Havenwood Rd discontinued

Many S42 buses that go up there are empty most of the time besides the fact that passengers can use the S46 and S48 as alternatives.

S44 PM rush hour service from St. George Ferry Terminal terminates at Richmond/Forest Avs which means that S44 Limited buses would make limited stops between those avenues.

Headways reduced from 15 to 12 minutes from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM, weekdays. This will reduce waiting time since the S44 does get crowded very fast at the mall.

S54 and S60 Weekend service on these routes can be canned due to very low ridership.

S74 Limited- New weekday AM limited stop service to St. George Ferry. This reduces overcrowding on the S74. Since I am a daily rider of this route, it would help commuters reach the ferry faster.

Express

X3- Eliminated

X1 & X4 are close alternatives.

X13- Eliminated

Use X10, X14, X15 or X16

X20- Eliminated

X4, X8, X15 nearby

Thank you for taking time to look at this. Please leave positive comments. Thanks.

If anyone has better ideas, post em down!

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Judging by the map:

• Make S78 and S79 +select+.
  • Make a new S3 with the following routing:
    Starts at S46 terminal (West Shore Plaza).
    Then, goes via Travis Avenue across Victory Blvd and to Richmond Av.
    Turn on Richmond Avenue and go to Richmond Hill Road.
    Turn on Richmond Hill Road and go to Richmond Road.
    From Richmond Rd & Richmond Hill Rd, follow X15 to Amboy Rd. & Guyon Av.
    From there, follow S57 to Hylan Blvd and Guyon Av.
    From there, follow X8 route to Seaview Avenue & Father Capodanno Blvd.
    From there, follow S52 route to SI University Hospital North.
  • The S84 stays on Arthur Kill Road between Rossville and Bloomingdale Rd.
  • New S4 from St. George to Bay Ridge via Bay Street and the bridge. Maybe +select+.

Judging by the map:

• Make S78 and S79 +select+.

• Make a new S3 with the following routing:

Starts at S46 terminal (West Shore Plaza).

Then, goes via Travis Avenue across Victory Blvd and to Richmond Av.

Turn on Richmond Avenue and go to Richmond Hill Road.

Turn on Richmond Hill Road and go to Richmond Road.

From Richmond Rd & Richmond Hill Rd, follow X15 to Amboy Rd. & Guyon Av.

From there, follow S57 to Hylan Blvd and Guyon Av.

From there, follow X8 route to Seaview Avenue & Father Capodanno Blvd.

From there, follow S52 route to SI University Hospital North.

• The S84 stays on Arthur Kill Road between Rossville and Bloomingdale Rd.

• New S4 from St. George to Bay Ridge via Bay Street and the bridge. Maybe +select+.

I like the S4 idea. Also, they were going to make the S79 +select bus service, but then the idea was scrapped.

I have just one objection:

The S54 serves Susan Wagner High School students so canning this route would bring upheaval by the parents of the students who attend the school. If anything, reduce it to a weekday route. But I have no opinions on the S60 as I've never busfanned or commuted using that route. My friend rode the S54 before and it does see usage.

Anyways, the only idea I have is +Select Bus Service to the S79. Daytime SBS service operates its current route; the +SBS zone will be between Hylan Boulevard/Narrows Road and Richmond Avenue/Hylan Boulevard; local service elsewhere. Late night service will now operate, via local.

Rush hour local service will not operate; instead, the S78 replaces the S79 local in its SBS zone during this time. Non-rush hour local service operates between Brooklyn and Richmond Avenue; some weekend local service will serve the mall. Late night service operates every 40-50 minutes, and will terminate at Yukon Avenue and Forest Hill Road (outside of the Yukon Depot) and does not complete the full trip to the rest of the mall.

I have just one objection:

The S54 serves Susan Wagner High School students so canning this route would bring upheaval by the parents of the students who attend the school. If anything, reduce it to a weekday route. But I have no opinions on the S60 as I've never busfanned or commuted using that route. My friend rode the S54 before and it does see usage.

Anyways, the only idea I have is +Select Bus Service to the S79. Daytime SBS service operates its current route; the +SBS zone will be between Hylan Boulevard/Narrows Road and Richmond Avenue/Hylan Boulevard; local service elsewhere. Late night service will now operate, via local.

Rush hour local service will not operate; instead, the S78 replaces the S79 local in its SBS zone during this time. Non-rush hour local service operates between Brooklyn and Richmond Avenue; some weekend local service will serve the mall. Late night service operates every 40-50 minutes, and will terminate at Yukon Avenue and Forest Hill Road (outside of the Yukon Depot) and does not complete the full trip to the rest of the mall.

I meant S54 weekend service canned. I know it's useful on weekdays.

Here are some more ideas:

S44 Limited

Toward St. George: 5:50AM to 7:45AM, toward S.I. Mall: 4:00PM to 7:30PM

S48 Limited

Toward St. George: 5:55AM to 8:20AM, toward Mariners Harbor: 3:30PM to 9:00PM

During those times, all S48 local buses start and/or end at Forest/Richmond Avs.

S74 reduced from 15 to 12 minutes on Saturdays from 1:00PM to 4:00PM if the (MTA) cuts S76 weekend services forcing passengers onto the S74 mainly.

S67- eliminated

This route barely gets riders after Victory Blvd/Jewett Av, plus it only runs during rush hours as well there are many alternatives such as the S44, S57, S61, S62, and S66.

S93 (This one's a maybe)

Runs all day weekdays from 6:00AM-7:45PM with headways being 30-60 minutes during middays. This will also reduce crowding on the S53.

X7- Runs on Richmond Av instead of Nelson Av, Giffords La & Arthur Kill Rd therfore replacing the X6.

I dont ride SI buses often anymore but i did more 2-3 years ago when one of my brothers lived in the boro so my takes. Some i know are service increases that could occur after the fiscal crisis.

1)Create overnight S-79 service between Englingtville TC and Bay Ridge with either hourly or 40-minute headways from 1-5am.

SBS or limited service on Hylan imo should be rush hours only. For faster service use the nearby SI railway trains.

2)Reduce overnight headways on the S53 to every 30 minutes. Also increase headways particuarly on weekday evenings to every 10-12 minutes until 11pm and Saturday/Sunday evening headways every 15 minutes until midnight.

3)Run the X1 24/7 with overnight hourly headways from 11pm-4am Manhattan Bound and SI Bound 1am-6am daily.

4)Run 12-15 minute headways on the S44, S46, S48, S59 S61, S62, S74 and S78 until 10pm Monday-Saturdays. Not everyone is going to the Ferry.:confused:

5)Run the S98 weekday middays from 10am-2pm with 30 minute headways and hourly between 7-10pm last bus to/from Bayonne. If ridership increases then operate hourly Saturday service from 6am-9pm.

6)Reroute and Send both the S54 and S57 to terminate at Port Richmond TC on Richmond Terrarce/Port Rich Ave.

7)Operate all S74/84's weekdays appx. 7am-8pm in both direction limited along Richmond Road/Arthur Kill between New Drop Road and St George's. The S76 continues to make all stops. "S74' ends at Bloomingdale Road Rossville weekdays while the S84 operates the full route between Tottenville and the Ferry.

More to come.

The ideas are excellent however, I don't about the X1 idea because it runs 10-20 minutes after 3:30AM and the S89 goes to Bayonne, not the S98.

Also, there is not enough room on Richmond Terrace for the S54 to terminate since the S53/S57/S59/S66/S67 take up almost three blocks for layover.

- How much time does the 90 really save over the 40? the 40 flies down Richmond terr. enough as it is....

- expand the S94, S96, & S98 to the point where it's in service for most of the day (as opposed to just rush hrs).... LTD's along those corresponding routes would run every 1/2 hour, off peak....

- S66: shift the route over where it would parallel the s57 routing north of Victory... it could use the riders during off peak hrs....

- S67: moved along Jewett av

- S57: get rid of that loop @ SIR New Dorp... the 57 & the 76 serve those apt's @ Ebbitts/Mill... and they both serve SIR New Dorp....

Thing is, it (the 57) also serves SIR Oakwood Heights.... So let that serve that station exclusively, and let the 76 serve SIR New Dorp exclusively

- S54: Run this from SIR Great Kills to Broadway/Richmond terrace (current NB terminal)... however...

* buses leaving the SIR station would use giffords lane, then turn LEFT on arthur kill rd (no stops on Ar. kill heading WB) straight to the transit center.... then it would get back on Arthur Kill (with a EB stop @ the shopping plaza on Armstrong), and continue on Arthur Kill/Richmond Rd, left on Rockland av, etc. etc.....

* buses leaving Broadway/Richmond Terr. would run straight to the SIR Great Kills station (no transit center)

Wow, great ideas everyone!

The problem with SI buses though is that ridership is very flaky. One day the buses are packed but the next day those very same runs could be nearly empty the entire route.

Here's my current list:

S40 - Every bus should connect with a ferry conveniently, especially when it's running every 30 minutes. Currently most of the runs show up just in time where you have to make a mad dash for the ferry if you're lucky.

S42 - The Havenwood branch is mainly for students so that's not going anywhere.

S44 - I agree with everything that's been mentioned so far! Current PM S44 service can't keep up with demands.

S46 - Needs to run every 12 minutes during middays.

S53 - I've been on buses that are SRO at 2AM. It definitely needs 30 minute headways overnight. Otherwise, service is excellent on the S53.

S54- Is needed because it's the only way to get to the Todt Hill Apartments just north of the Staten Island Expressway.

S79 - Overnight service would be great but I don't think there's ridership for it. And there's sufficient enough service on the S79 that it doesn't need to become a limited. Technically, the SIR is the limited for the Hylan Blvd routes.

S89, S93 & S98 - Should all run during middays as well as rush hours.

Currently the SI depots are all overcrowded and are already operating outside their means, but hopefully when Charleston opens in the Spring, we'll see some of the changes come to light.

Wow, great ideas everyone!

The problem with SI buses though is that ridership is very flaky. One day the buses are packed but the next day those very same runs could be nearly empty the entire route.

Here's my current list:

S40 - Every bus should connect with a ferry conveniently, especially when it's running every 30 minutes. Currently most of the runs show up just in time where you have to make a mad dash for the ferry if you're lucky.

S42 - The Havenwood branch is mainly for students so that's not going anywhere.

S44 - I agree with everything that's been mentioned so far! Current PM S44 service can't keep up with demands.

S46 - Needs to run every 12 minutes during middays.

S53 - I've been on buses that are SRO at 2AM. It definitely needs 30 minute headways overnight. Otherwise, service is excellent on the S53.

S54- Is needed because it's the only way to get to the Todt Hill Apartments just north of the Staten Island Expressway.

S79 - Overnight service would be great but I don't think there's ridership for it. And there's sufficient enough service on the S79 that it doesn't need to become a limited. Technically, the SIR is the limited for the Hylan Blvd routes.

S89, S93 & S98 - Should all run during middays as well as rush hours.

Currently the SI depots are all overcrowded and are already operating outside their means, but hopefully when Charleston opens in the Spring, we'll see some of the changes come to light.

I agree with the S46, S89, S93, and S98 ideas however, I still think the S79 could have a least limited service in the peak direction because it does get very crowded in the AM rush even going towards the mall.

Here's even more:

S44 Late Night service? Since none of the buses that go by the mall operate overnight

X1 Super Express Service during ruch hours? Since it has the highest ridership of all SI Express buses. To Manhattan:

Stops at Eltingville SIR station, then New Dorp Lane, then Fingerboard Rd then regular stops in Manhattan.

To Staten Island:

Stops at 42, 34, 23, 14, Canal, Bowling Green then regular Staten Island Stops

X17- Maybe Sunday Service? (there might not be a lot of ridership but it's suggestion)

I know little about SI buses, but what I do know is that linking bus and SIR schedules to the ferry's arrival times is insane. The ferry ride officially takes 25 minutes, and that leaves people 5 minutes to make the transfer, but a slight delay on the ferry, or even not moving to the front of the ferry before disembarking, or having to navigate through a crowded terminal, can cause one to miss the bus/SIR. Then one faces a 30 minute wait for the next bus. This is pointless since people need to move around inside Staten Island as well, on schedules that have nothing to do with the ferry. This means having shorter bus headways. If that is not possible, at least the bus timings should be changed to give a 10 minute transfer time between the ferry's scheduled arrival and the bus' departure from St George. This would allow people to not miss the bus if the ferry is late, or to get a coffee and snacks if it is on time, or to take it easy and not have to push through crowds to get to the bus on time (good for disabled persons). Last time I was on SI, I forgot which bus bay is the starting point for the S40 and missed the bus as a result. This shouldn't have to happen.

I know little about SI buses, but what I do know is that linking bus and SIR schedules to the ferry's arrival times is insane. The ferry ride officially takes 25 minutes, and that leaves people 5 minutes to make the transfer, but a slight delay on the ferry, or even not moving to the front of the ferry before disembarking, or having to navigate through a crowded terminal, can cause one to miss the bus/SIR. Then one faces a 30 minute wait for the next bus. This is pointless since people need to move around inside Staten Island as well, on schedules that have nothing to do with the ferry. This means having shorter bus headways. If that is not possible, at least the bus timings should be changed to give a 10 minute transfer time between the ferry's scheduled arrival and the bus' departure from St George. This would allow people to not miss the bus if the ferry is late, or to get a coffee and snacks if it is on time, or to take it easy and not have to push through crowds to get to the bus on time (good for disabled persons). Last time I was on SI, I forgot which bus bay is the starting point for the S40 and missed the bus as a result. This shouldn't have to happen.

Want to hear something? One morning, I got the 6:30 a.m. ferry, got to the terminal at 6:50-ish (the 25-minute time frame is a rough estimate, but it's usually shorter) and guess what? I waited for the 7:00 S62 bus to take me to the school, except that there was no 7:00 bus!!! We had to wait until 7:30 for a bus. Sometimes the dispatcher tells the bus operators to hold at the terminal so people can get the bus but sometimes they don't. And I couldn't take the S61 like I normally would on Sunday mornings because the back school exit doesn't open until 9:00.

Want to hear something? One morning, I got the 6:30 a.m. ferry, got to the terminal at 6:50-ish (the 25-minute time frame is a rough estimate, but it's usually shorter) and guess what? I waited for the 7:00 S62 bus to take me to the school, except that there was no 7:00 bus!!! We had to wait until 7:30 for a bus. Sometimes the dispatcher tells the bus operators to hold at the terminal so people can get the bus but sometimes they don't. And I couldn't take the S61 like I normally would on Sunday mornings because the back school exit doesn't open until 9:00.

You go to school at College of Staten Island?

You go to school at College of Staten Island?

Yes, I do. My previous schedule was all day ion Saturdays, Sunday afternoons and midday Mondays. Now I have school Monday and Wednesday afternoons and all day on Fridays and Saturdays.

Yes, I do. My previous schedule was all day ion Saturdays, Sunday afternoons and midday Mondays. Now I have school Monday and Wednesday afternoons and all day on Fridays and Saturdays.

I know the college shuttle bus (ferry-college) operates weekdays, do they operate in weekends? If not, there is the demand.

I know the college shuttle bus (ferry-college) operates weekdays, do they operate in weekends? If not, there is the demand.

I heard talks of operating the S62 into the college during non-rush hours, replacing the college-ferry shuttle bus.

I agree with the S46, S89, S93, and S98 ideas however, I still think the S79 could have a least limited service in the peak direction because it does get very crowded in the AM rush even going towards the mall.

The situation with the S79 though, is that most of the ridership comes from those smaller and less-significant stops that would be passed. I think more people would be inconvenienced by the S79 passing half of the stops on Hylan Blvd than those benefiting from the extra minute or so they gain on the limited.

Here's even more:

S44 Late Night service? Since none of the buses that go by the mall operate overnight

I agree but they should terminate at Richmond & Forest.

I know little about SI buses....

Most of the time they'll hold the buses & SIR train up to 10 minutes if the ferry is running late. At St. George, the connecting buses usually wait until there is no one else coming up the ramps before taking off so just be quick and know which ramp you are going to and there shouldn't be any issues. Most SI routes run every 12, 15 or 20 minutes though, so there's never a long wait unless it's a Sunday and/or after 830pm.

Now if there was a train that ran to/from Manhattan and SI, then all of the routes would be able to run at shorter headways like the S53 & S79.

The commute is still brutal to this day. Stupid MTA doesn't even increase the s92 and s93 hours.

The MTA doesn't believe in midday limited service on Staten Island even though it's clearly needed on some lines.

--------------

I've actually stopped taking the ferry as often as I used to though because of how unpredictable it can be especially if you're trying to be somewhere on-time. The ferry is always running late these days, and then you have the buses that don't show up on-time and those that do show up, get to the ferry at like 12:59pm for example and you have to run like hell for the ferry. Lately I've just been using the S53, and even though it can take a little longer sometimes, it's very reliable and you don't have to deal with the stress over whether you're going to make the ferry.

The situation with the S79 though, is that most of the ridership comes from those smaller and less-significant stops that would be passed. I think more people would be inconvenienced by the S79 passing half of the stops on Hylan Blvd than those benefiting from the extra minute or so they gain on the limited.

I agree but they should terminate at Richmond & Forest.

Most of the time they'll hold the buses & SIR train up to 10 minutes if the ferry is running late. At St. George, the connecting buses usually wait until there is no one else coming up the ramps before taking off so just be quick and know which ramp you are going to and there shouldn't be any issues. Most SI routes run every 12, 15 or 20 minutes though, so there's never a long wait unless it's a Sunday and/or after 830pm.

Now if there was a train that ran to/from Manhattan and SI, then all of the routes would be able to run at shorter headways like the S53 & S79.

The MTA doesn't believe in midday limited service on Staten Island even though it's clearly needed on some lines.

--------------

I've actually stopped taking the ferry as often as I used to though because of how unpredictable it can be especially if you're trying to be somewhere on-time. The ferry is always running late these days, and then you have the buses that don't show up on-time and those that do show up, get to the ferry at like 12:59pm for example and you have to run like hell for the ferry. Lately I've just been using the S53, and even though it can take a little longer sometimes, it's very reliable and you don't have to deal with the stress over whether you're going to make the ferry.

I do that too. Most of the time I use the S79. How could the (MTA) not have limited stop service during middays on SI? As someone said before, routes like the S93 need it.

I only ever seem to visit SI on Sundays. On weekdays, the 15 or 20 minute headways are also timed to ferry schedules (ferry runs at 15 or 20 minute intervals during rush hours). The 12 minute headway on the S40 is only created when the S90 is also running.

And the last time I missed the bus, the ferry was late by a few minutes. My missing the right bus bay would only have cost me a minute or less; I walked past the S40 bay and then realized it as soon as I reached the next one, and sprinted back. It's evident the dispatcher didn't hold it back, and the bus was missed mainly due to ferry delays and not my misjudgment.

Archived